Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals in the sun?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Flat6Driver, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    How do you deal with seeing the lights on pedals in the sun? I have a bunch of boss pedals and a tubescreamer. The TS is a mess in a dark room but the rest are so hard to see what's going on. And my pitch black isn't any better (had to use the headstock tuner).

What do you all do?

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I'd get a piece of light plywood and make a sun shield over the pedalboard. One rectangular piece for the top and two triangles for the sides. Probably wouldn't help if the sun was at your back though.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Some 3/8" foamcore board and only cut through one side, reinforce otherside with some glued on rubber strips and you could probably make a really light fold up one you could attach to pedalboard edges with Velcro when needed, basically a sun shroud. Much like this one for tablet screens just shaped a little different.

[​IMG]

JayFreddy likes this.

4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I used to play with a bunch of vintage Boss pedals and they were really hard, impossible, to see outdoors.

noah330 likes this.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I usually know what's on by the tone I'm getting.... But, I don't use a lot of effects, and definitely no multi-effects units (I'm just too dumb for them). I stopped using a pedalboard tuner ages ago and like my headstock tuners.

I do like the visor ideas... I've seen gaffing tape and 3x5 cards work. But, you could easily do something that looked nicer.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Tough. The TU3 now has an enhanced led, but, your other stomps.. tough
    I had a black cloth last week for wiping guitar I used to drape over a second,
    but, that was only on break. Can't do live..lol

7. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Well, I only use a compressor and an O/D. I can easily hear which one's on.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    If you are tap dancing throughout a song ... it is time for a strategy change. I use a Boss LS-2, so that I can set two loops before a song and then only use the sweet paddle switch of the LS-2 for changes during a song.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I use my MXR Blue Box and Phase 90 in the sun without any real problems, but seeing as how they are Script models, they don't actually have LEDs.

10. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

This was a situation where I have two ODs stacked and I went to play my fills or whatever, and it was way too loud. I couldn't tell that they were both on from the lights. I just rolled the volume down on the guitar and figured it out mid song. I get to play louder than at rehearsal and I don't have as much experience with this gear as I would like.

Obsessed likes this.

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    We had joy, we had fun
    We had pedals in the sun...

:D

Paul in Colorado, RLee77 and Obsessed like this.

12. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Until the rain came and we broke it all down in 15 minutes. ;)

13. archiemax

archiemax TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    Swap out the red LED's for blue.

Obsessed likes this.

14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Isn't that the truth. When I got my used Boosta Grande from GC, I turned it on while holding it in the palm of my hand looking down at it, and nearly blinded myself.

15. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    keep pushing the pedals until you get the right sound. It s a 2 maybe 3 pushes maximum / pedal. Of course i m far from a pro.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I had a Rocktron tremolo pedal with a huge Brite light pipe blue LED that I had to tape off most of the lens with electrical tape.

17. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I keep a headstock tuner in my roadcase because of this. I've never had the problem of not being able to tell which pedals are on because my pedals aren't that subtle. But the tuner is tough on a sunny stage.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Black foamcore, that is.

19. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    I wonder if a piece of translucent tape over the LED would reduce glare but still make it easy to see?

20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I replace any dull LED with a Super Bright equivalent. They come in any color and size and I have no problem seeing them in the sun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.