Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedals in studio

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Larry F, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    In my upstairs studio, I use a few pedals that I don't touch (delays through the amp fx loop), and a collection of pedals to use between the guitar and amp.

The fx pedals are attached to a small Pedaltrain board that sits atop of the amp (a 15w ODS clone).

I have a goodish collection of pedals for OD, compression, EQ, wah/filter/auto, reverb, delay, boost, and maybe some odder ones. I keep these in a bookshelf type of thing that is good for having everything all in one place, but they are inside plastic cases with several other pedals. It is a bit of a hassle to dig around to find what I want.

[I should add that I am still unable to stand in one place long, and usually have to break up tasks and activities into segments, between which I sit as still as possible for a few minutes. Sometimes this turns out to be longer, and still other times, I go to lie down, and maybe even doze. This is all everyday, normal stuff in my life. I don't like it, but I don't dwell on it, either.]

Except for the level of my whining, I am sure that many other players have a similar situation at home or in the studio. Disregarding the fx loop "always on" pedals, what do you guys do when trying out pedals for a song or recording? For me, a pedalboard is a waste with so many pedals. (How many? Maybe 20-30? This could increase now that I am retired.) On the other hand, it is very tiring and time consuming to walk 12 feet over to the pedal collection in plastic cases and start pulling out pedals to carry back to the amp. This may seem like inconsequential stuff, but in my situation, it can be a huge deal.

I've played around with rack drawers with pedals on them. Good in some ways, not good in others.

What are people doing nowadays? I imagine not everyone is able to keep all of the pedals on a board, depending on the depth of the bench, so to speak.

BTW, my live setup doesn't use pedals. I'm used to using small numbers of pedals live, so I'm not really asking about that (unless anyone has good ideas about pedal racks).

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a few pedals that I keep in the "Loop" but the majority are placed in an easy access cabnet for when I need them I found a way to mount my pedals on a mic stand and for the eventide H9 pedal I use an Ipad ( bluetooth) to adjust the perameters and effects selection ,this reall simplified my ability to access the pedals.

I made some flanges thatI monted on the pedalboard it eliminated free standing microphone stansds

-2.jpg

-5.jpg P1012143.JPG P1012145.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    bluesholyman and Larry F like this.
  3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    This is mine at the moment, i change quite often :lol::lol::lol:.

Compressor always on.

Mooer Tender Octaver because polyphonics pitch usually are not that good on multieffects, this is great.

Ring thing because there is nothing like it.

Zoom G3N, i find the distortions and overdives on this baby very very good, so i use the for drives, boost, and also fuzz.

Line 6 M9, what i really like on this thing is the layout, it's so clever to me and i still like how it sounds after all these years, i use it for mod, delay, reverb and strange things.

At the end Harley Benton American Sound when i go direct to P.A. nothing can beat it for the price.

This is all i have, i don't keep pedals that i don't use, with this board i can cover everything, i have differents projects and this set up can give me almost everything, the board it's not even that big.

Sometimes i play with a wet / dry set up, almost always with one amp and sometimes straight to P.A.

Cheers.

IMG_20181031_111358182.jpg

24 track likes this.
  4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    In your situation, I don't think that there is an easy or practical solution if you're intent on using pedals. Personally, if I were serious about recording today, I'd be using a modeling solution, either dedicated or software. Sit in a chair, in front of the computer, with the editing software up, and a guitar in your lap, until you find the sound you want. I did a lot of recording over 10 years ago with just a J-Station and Cakewalk Home Studio (along with some good drum samples I found and some software plug-ins I bought). When the J-Station died (the second time), I replaced it with a vAmp Pro. I never used pedals back then when I was recording.

5. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Hi professor, maybe you should just set up the pedal bookshelf next to your amp?

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    This was the first semi-pro attempt at recording that I did over 7 years ago, and probably one of my very last recordings. The intent was to mic his amp for the final tracks. These are scratch tracks thrown together just so I could put something online. His guitar fills were recorded through the V-Amp Pro.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

how about an ABY pedal to switch between your daily driver setup and an extra pedal board pre mounted with the extra pedals?

Maybe the extra pedal board is mounted on a hinge to fold up like a Murphy bed to the floor, or mounted up higher like a fold down secretary-desk does. A desk height board gives easier access to twist knob settings on the pedals to adjust. Fold down is just for saving space, not sure if you need that.

24 track likes this.
  8. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I like this^^^^^^! A little insane, but that's good. Very good.

24 track likes this.
  9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

As a guitarist and a professional recording engineer, I can tell you that I am a bit obsessive about having nothing in-circuit that isn't being used. I'm also one of those types who usually has a good idea what he wants going in so he doesn't have to try throwing everything at the wall, one at a time, to see what sticks. If there is any question I usually pull out everything I think I'll need, line 'em up across an amp, and plug between them as needed.

Bob

10. Quoroww

Quoroww TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Usa
    Hey. You know what I want to tell you? You are absolutely right when you said that a lot of pedals are not needed. Of course, why? It only hinders, distracts, you get lost between them. I use only Volume Pedal, one single. And you know, this is enough for me, nothing more is needed. The sound is clear, surround, without noise and wheezing. The most important thing is to choose the right device so that it fits your tools and you like it. Look here at https://bestazy.com/best-volume-pedal/ or on some other resource for recommendations on choosing the Volume Pedal. I have such a pedal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZW1CDO/?tag=tdpri-20. In my opinion, very cool. If you like, be sure to buy it, it's a bomb
    [​IMG]

11. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    In my recording setup, I have a pedal board and at the moment, I have a set of leads going to/from the looper that come off the board to that turtled hendrix franken-fuzz. I am currently rolling transistors in that pedal, so thats why it looks like that.

A loop switcher used in this fashion may work for you? Not incredibly brilliant, but if I am swapping out pedals, I just do it on this spare set of leads. If the switcher gets full, I'll just pull the leads out of something not being used and use those (or another set to the switcher.)

It lets me swap out single pedals off-board and experiment with different stuff without pulling that whole mess apart. I need to place the cables properly, etc, but you get the idea....

Hope its useful...

IMG_0939.JPG

I store the pedals in this plastic (acrylic?) display box I got second-hand from somewhere. Thats their home when not on the board.

IMG_0940.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Gilmour has right idea, looks like a multi tiered keyboard stand with some pedal planks on it. Then there is a loop/controller at his feet.

[​IMG]

I’ve gone similar route, mid height table off to right of my picking hand, one control white loop, boss ls-2, 3 parallel loop blenders and midi/remote switches down at feet.

Also have no problem using old racks with tactile knobs at hand height and their remote switches down below. Perfect examples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul in Colorado and 24 track like this.
  13. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    his live set up almost mirrors this set up as well except instead of a stand he has a chest with drawers and each drawer is a guitar case and the top is a rack for his pedals as shown above .

14. Larry F

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm going to start looking at loopers.

Lots of cool ideas here.

I have some table-height racks with drawers and one sliding shelf. The details of making this work are more complex than I anticipated. But I may very well put a bunch of pedals in that, where they are in a greater state of readiness than the lesser of my pedals that I still may keep in the plastic cases in my other shelves 10 feet away.

I'm more committed to my live setup, which is a twin of the SDQ in the studio, with the same fx loop, and no front end at all. When I'm in the studio, the purpose of the front-end pedals is just for fun and exploration.

24 track likes this.
  15. Lars F

Lars F Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Hook them up to a patchbay..?

Lars

16. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I am currently looking for a cheaper version of the GIGRIG quartermaster. The idea of pulling unused pedals out of the signal path is appealing to me. (If anyone can school me on this, let me know in that thread.)

I don't have a lot of pedals (maybe 15 in total), but I have toyed with the idea of mounting a strip of wood with velcro on it on the wall in my immediate practice area, and just sticking unused pedals there. That way I can see them and rotate them in as needed, rather than tucking them away where the thought may not occur to me that they might be useful.

One other idea I have had is to have my main board, and another, shorter pedaltrain board that can be "subbed into" the chain of the bigger board. That way you don't have to keep rebuilding the bigger board (which can be time consuming). I even saw a guy mount an extension plank on his pedaltrain with velcro, which I thought was a good idea.

17. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    I have around 15 nice pedals and like to swap out every now and again.

I'd say the most convenient answer for me involves some of these in various permutations - not necessarily all at once but if I can't get to it easily with these toys then I am doing something seriously wrong.

Line 6 HX Stomp

Strymon Dig, Deco, Flint and Elcap

Analogman KOT

Bondi FX Sick as (black out edition)

Ikea picture stand - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/mosslanda-picture-ledge-white-art-90292103/?cid=gb|ps|pla||||&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_X8ucvt3wIV4ZXtCh2wmgy5EAQYASABEgL-m_D_BwE

Small Patchbay - https://soundgas.com/products/boredbrain-patchulator-8000

18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Like Lars F says,

Patchbay. Get a 19" rack and sliding shelves to put the pedals on. Get some power distribution. Hook up the pedals to the rear of the patchbay(s). Put the whole thing nearer than 12' from your rig.

When you want pedals, patch in whatever you want, in whatever order you want. Pull the sliding shelves out to access the knobs and such.

The advantage is that you can have anything in any order without a lot of messing about. The disadvantage is having to pull out the shelf to access the pedal itself.

19. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    a Patch bay to a gilmour rack type set up would be perfect thats how I bring my pedals into my rack gear

20. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Calabogie, On, Canada
    I can relate to mobility issues and I sit on a chair to play guitar.

I have been using a wooden sided wagon to place my pedalboard on, crossways, so I can access the pedals without bending over. There is a photo in the pedalboard sticky.

I place unused pedals in the wagon bed along with spare cables and tools. The balance of unused pedals are kept in an aluminium foam lined case

When I want to move the setup, I pull the wagon to a storage area.

Your journey may vary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.