Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

pedals DO AND dONT'S

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by leonard d rock, Jul 6, 2010.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

hello,
    probably we can use this thread for pedal do's and don'ts:
    heres mine:
    i saw a friend who puts his pedals at the back of his open back combo amp when he loads in and out. while he uses boss, is there any danger to the circuits, opamps etc if you put pedals near the speaker magnets?

thanks
    ldr

2. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I think I'd be more concerned with the pedals hitting the speaker cone.

3. Road King

Road King Tele-Holic

Apr 2, 2010
    Rockwall Texas
    Don't ever tape your Ibanez TS9 at the front of the stage (pre pedalboard days) at Cardi's in Austin cause when you get off break it won't be there.

4. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2008
    New York
    I put all my pedals and cables/power supplys in the back of my ibanez combo all the time and have never had a problem.

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

The problems I see from carrying stuff in the back of combo amps are tubes being destroyed and speaker wires getting pulled out. I haven't actually seen a speaker cone damaged from crap being carried in the back but it is a very real possibility. Just on GPs I don't recommend it.

The speaker magnets won't hurt anything.

6. Jayson

Jayson Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Never unplug a pedal from it's power supply while it is engaged.

Never leave an input cable plugged into a battery powered pedal you aren't using- it's still technically on.

Never stomp a standard footswitch without proper footwear!

7. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2010
    Down by the border
    Hmmmm,

You can always use a power supply that has more current than the pedal is asking for but not vs vs.

I.e. the pedal needs 35mA you can use a 200mA power supply but not a 20mA. ;)

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I just make sure all my pedals are Lab tested.

Attached Files:

9. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2008
    The wild wild midwest
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But seriously, how long have you been waiting to use that joke? :D

10. Horse

Horse Tele-Meister

May 30, 2010
    Sussex, England
    I would like to add another point coming at it from a different direction:

When you buy an amp, make sure it can take pedals ok! not all can and its a little discussed topic, i was caught out a few years ago as i didnt even know it was an issue.

Also, some amps are temperamental in taking some pedals ok and others not so well. Fender amps dont really have this problem but always demo an amp with pedals!

11. jimmynumber9

jimmynumber9 Tele-Afflicted

May 26, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    I never think of this when buying pedals (or an amp). It's a very good point and something I'm glad I haven't had the pleasure of running into yet.

That being said, never let your tuner's battery go low during a set (or die).
    :cool:

12. yonie

yonie Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2009
    Netherlands
    +1, and also be sure not to have your head hanging in front of your amp speaker when you do.

13. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Do not...ever assume that any pedal, no matter how much magic mojo hype, will actually help you play better.

Do...practice, continue learning, have fun and enjoy this magnificent instrument.

14. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska
    Never use the case of a pedal as a cookie cutter. Cookie dough can gum up the switch and the cookies still come out round.

15. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 6, 2009
    Wales
    Do not use these with pedals that have PCB-mounted jack sockets:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and sorry for stating the obvious, but never reverse the polarity of the power supply to a pedal in the hope that it'll sound "different"...it will, as in total absence of sound...and you'll get an unexpected NPD (new paperweight day).

16. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Don't gig with a Marshall Vibratrem running on battery - It won't last a set.

17. schenkadere

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Do...focus more on the right amp than pedals.

Don't...think pedals will make up for a mediocre amp.

Do...try before you buy.

Don't...be fooled by in store or bedroom playing levels...if you gig, be sure you turn it up before buying.

18. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2010
    Edenfield, UK
    Don't gig with most modulation/reverb/delay type pedals running batteries. And using rechargeable batteries isn't a solution, they last even less time.

You're usually OK with ODs though some of them seem to last for years on one battery!

19. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I disagree. If you dig the sound of the amp, get the amp. If the OD pedal you have doesn't sound good with it, get a different pedal. I wouldn't base any amp purchase based on pedals as the amp is the biggest part of your sound.

That said, I've never experienced the phenominum of an amp "not taking pedals" and I've owned a lot of pedals and amps over the years. Some combinations definitely sound better than others, but the concept that one amp "takes pedals" better than any other makes me :rolleyes:.

Back to the OP - set the volume of OD pedals a little above unity so it doesn't get lost in the mix when you turn it on.

20. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Jan 27, 2008
    +
    Do not immerse any pedals in water if you plan to use them in the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.