Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pedal Suggestions to enhance a good country rock sound

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tim73, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I haven't been a big user of effects & I recently have a sound that I am happy with in terms of a tele plugged into a Blues Jnr. It sounds good to me & meets my needs but over the course of a set, it's quite samey & a couple of friends have suggested that I use effects to enhance my tone. I watched a Country Rock tones DVD recently which suggested good effects usage enhance an already good tone. I feel I finally have that good tone.

So I dug out my old pedal board & updated a couple of the pedals. I don't want to spend LOADS of money but equally I want to avoid the dirt cheap pedals like Behringer / Danelectro. I guess a Boss type price range suits me best.

I have a tuner pedal, a Marshall boost (pure & slighly overdriven tones), a reverb pedal (read good things about the Electro Harmonix one but too many comments about background noise so I played it safe with another Marshall), a Boss compressor pedal & my quirky little twist of an acoustic simulator.

I have room for an additional pedal & was wondering what people would recommend for a country rock sound (playing mainly covers from Johnny Cash to Steve Earle). I'm not a fan of particuarly distorted tones so I figured a chorus pedal or a delay pedal would be a final choice. I've hunted around the threads on the forum but I couldn't find an exact thread to help me. What do you reckon? I'm also curious about what gigging country rock guitarists are using in their setup. What works & more importantly, what doesn't? Cheers Tim

2. getbent

getbent Telefied

delay and phaser are all I'd add.

I like the byoc models of both... you can build them yourself, save some money and they sound great!

3. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Dirt cheap doesn't always mean crap. The Danelectro tuna melt tremelo would be a great addition to your board, and I think plenty of forumites would agree. I would think that a tremelo pedal is a useful effect in country rock, especially since the Blues Jr doesn't have it built in.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

If I could only use one pedal, the Tuna Melt would be it.

6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy TDPRI Member

for my country rock sound I currently use a combination of the following:

Boss Compression, Boss Delay & Boss Blues Driver.

I have the gain knob on the blues driver turned down very very low to give just a small crunch. But I use those three to get the sound.

7. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Country Rock tone

If you have reverb on your amp and your Marshall overdrive is handling the heavy work I would get a compressor, A Boss or a Dyna Comp because nothing say country like that juicey Tele through a compressor tone front pick up or back. IMO

Gary

8. Twang

Twang Tele-Holic

Hey Tim, what was the Country Rock tones DVD were you checking out?

9. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the responses so far.

The Danelectro comment was more to do with sturdiness as the cheaper pedals tend to be made of lighter material. I'm tempted enough to try the tremelo pedal though! I had an old Behringer boost that was suprisingly great & I tried upgrading on several occasions with inferior sounding more expensive ones.

And in answer to Twang's question, it's an old DVD I got on Ebay called Classic Country guitar which is part of a late 1990s series called Getting the Sound.

10. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

11. jjz28

jjz28 Former Member

A little off your question, but I would recommend a volume pedal. Good for "steel" guitar riffs and swells.

12. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

any effect will "enhance"...

it all depends on how one uses it for the music of their choice. Just listen to a Brad Paisley CD. I think he's using stuff that's probably not designed with country music "in mind"....
    Having said that, I'd suggest using:
    1. Digitech Bad Monkey
    2. MXR Dynacomp
    3. Ernie Ball volume pedal
    4. Boss DD3

13. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

I'd reccommend The Boss DD03, Analog Mikes Juicer (compressor), the country comp, and Thev Boss BD-2
    Jim

14. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

A delay for sure, try and get one with an analog setting if you can (or indeed an analog one :) - Analogman's is excellent for the money if you can get one). Set it with one quick repeat, not too in your face, and you'll be chuffed to bits. I stopped using reverb for country and just have that little bit of analog slapback echo, it sounds more like it to me.

The volume pedal is another good idea as stated for steelie licks.

I suppose if your country rock is more on the rocky side a Tubescreamer is never out of place.

And play around with your compressor!

15. kludge

kludge Tele-Afflicted

Compressor: Almost necessary for chicken-pickin'
    Phaser: For that classic 1970s rhythm sound, although modern country types probably think it's corny
    Tremelo: For all sorts of things
    Overdrive: Likewise

Be warned that compressors can lead to G.A.S. psychosis as you try to find the PERFECT one to match your setup and technique...

16. Scotele

Scotele Tele-Meister

I use Boss CS2 compressor BD2 Blues driver CE2 chorus and just recently added DD3 delay. Cannot seem to get a good sound from BD2 so am thinking of trying Boss FBM1. Check it out on the Bossus.Com web site.

17. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Yeah the compressor is a must, its also a great tool for slide playing.
    My favorite slide set up has always been a boss compressor-808 OD pedal and a wah-wah just about 1/2 open. Stops all the noise except what you want and sustains properly too.

18. Mike Rice

Mike Rice Friend of Leo's

Bad Bob boost pedal and a good compressor. I use the Home Brew Electronics CPR and love it. AnalogMan is another great compressor. Some folks will also say delay and I might even tend to agree...except when I'm playing through it. It just never sounds right.

If you're in a band playing alot of cover tunes you can go nuts with pedals, particularly if you're trying to be true to the original. This stuff (phase, chorus, flange, etc) is icing on the cake that might be nice to have from time to time, but it's not elemental to the country rock sound IMO.

19. Scottone

Scottone Tele-Meister

My band plays a mix of "old-country" standards and some rocking country tunes (i.e. Steve Earle, Dale Watson, Derailers, etc) and I've settled on the following:

Koll Tele -->Boss Tuner Pedal -->ProAnalog Dirt Royale --> Jacques Prisioner Delay (set for slapback) --> Swart AST (with reberb and Trem)

The ProAnalog Dirt Royale is great for milder distortion tones just gives the right amount of extra push for the more rock oriented stuff. If I'm using an amp without Tremelo, I insert a Demeter Tremulator betwen the Dirt Royale and the Prisioner Delay.

The delay and reverb are always on, but I switch off the trem for some tunes. The distortion is on about half the time.

When I first got into country playing, I did a lot of experimentation and finally settled on this line-up. I also have an Analogman Bi-Compressor which I've used from time to time, but haven't incorporated on a permanent basis.

Hope this helps...

20. tommyc

tommyc Tele-Meister

Ive been using a Visual Sound Rt 66 overdrive/compressor , a Visual Sound H2O delay/chorus , and a BBE Sonic Stomp (for extra clarity) with my Teles and Esquires through a Epiphone Valve Junior head and 1x12 cab lately , and can get all the country/rock tones you can think of . The key to a good country tone with the Valve Junior is the Rt 66 compressor and the BBE Sonic Stomp . Both of those together give me more high end , clarity , and clean headroom . Plus I use George Ls cables on everything . I plan on getting a second Epi VJ head and cab for extra volume . I sometimes use a Vox wah and would like to get a EH Holy Grail + reverb and a EH Pulsar tremolo .

21. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

I'm with Eddy. Compressor/Delay/OD/Amp with Reverb. Yes, old school uses a phaser at times. How you those effects depends on your choice of pedal. I choose a Dyna-comp and a multi-effects pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.