Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedal steel multi effect

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Fireball519, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Hey I hope I didn't post in the wrong thread but I'm about to aquire my first pedal steel...and old excel. I have a pod XT and I was wondering if that would be sufficient for double duty steel and guitar and if anyone had any ideas on how to run both without having to unplug and plug back in. Thanks in advance!

gee. likes this.

2. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    stl
    Cool! I just bought my first pedal steel about a week ago. Trying to figure out the same dilemma. Looking into (maybe?) an A/B splitter so I can double duty my guitar playing. I have a digitech rp100 I use when I'm practicing with headphones. I've had to create some newer presets, as the ones I created for my guitar seemed thin and lacking in enough mids for my steel. Hopefully some more experienced players will chime in.

3. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Thanks for the input! I hope we can both find what we're searching for!

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    The problem with most splitters is that while they say they work both in Y>A/B mode and A/B>Y mode is that they ground the opposite end, which is useful in Y>A/B mode, but when placed the other way around it'll bleed some of the signal from the other side as well as add noise. It's not really noticeable unless turned up really loud though.

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I ran my steel through the vibrato channel on my Twin and the lead guitar through the other channel..
    My lead guitar went through a Morley ABY switch to two amps with the stomp boxes..

6. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    OK that's a great idea! I've got inputs 1 & 2 k (Nashville 400)

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    That is how I often run my pedal steel... into the VIB channel on my Vibrolux, my guitar pedal board goes into the Normal Channel.

Might work, but not quite the same as @Papa Joe was saying. Those Fender amps have two distinct channels... the PV has two inputs... sharing one channel.

Is the XT the live version or Bean version?

Aside from using my Fender Amp as mentioned above... in some situations I use an HD500 for guitar and Steel. I run my guitar into the guitar input (or Variax input when I bring my Variax) and the Steel into the AUX input. Each patch can have different inputs assigned so when I change to the Pedal Steel patch... it turns off the guitar and fires up the AUX input for the steel.

If the XT is the live version, it can do the same. Actually, you can go further. The XT has full featured, two separate chains while the HD500 is awkward in this regard. Setup chain 1 for guitar, and chain two for steel. Assign AUX to the 2nd chain, and guitar to the 1st chain. Done!

If you own the BEAN, none of that applies. You would need an A/B Box to choose the input (guitar or steel) and change the patch on the Bean manually.
    It's a first world problem :D

Good luck with your steel!

8. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Thanks for the best wishes! I played with it last night and I'm getting a grip on it. My pod is the bean shaped one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.