Pedal Questions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MHorne39, Apr 16, 2019.

1. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Hey everyone!

Couple of quick questions:

1. If I had an amp with fairly low headroom (Vox AC15/30 style), could I run an EP Booster and a delay before it? I mean, I know I COULD, but if I set the amp to clean and used my EP to push it into overdrive, would the delay after the EP but before the amp sound bad (like running a delay into an already dirty amp), or would it run like a clean amp because the delay is technically after my "gain stage"?

2. Also, does anyone have experience with the Vox MV50 AC as far as how it takes pedals? Looking to get one, and it sounds good from demo's, but I want to get some real feedback on how loud it can get before it breaks up, how good the tone control is, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Short answer: Try it and see if you like it.

Long answer: It will sound different than if drive was coming before a clean amp. Good/Bad is a matter of preference. My preference is to run delays into a clean amp, or if using a dirty amp put them in the effects loop. That being said, lots of all time great record were recorded with an echoplex running into the front end of a Marshall. So you know, I say, 'No,' but Eddie Van Halen says, 'Yes.' So take what I say with a grain of salt.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

IME, pedals always go in front of the amp, so your signal chain would look like this:

Guitar jack > pedal IN > pedal OUT > AMP

4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Anyone who’s ever used an AC30, old Marshall, HiWatt, nearly anything made before 1980 ran all effects before the amp.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

This.

Also, you never know until you hear it both ways. Not gonna break anything.
    Try it. Anything that cant damage an amp or guitar always aim for asking forgiveness not permission.

RoyalBaby likes this.
  6. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Well, of course. But what I meant was, if you ran a booster (set to hit your amp hard and drive it) into a delay into a clean amp, would it act like a drive into a delay and sound good, or would it sound like running a delay into an already dirty amp and sound bad?

7. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm asking because unless I buy the new amp, I can't try it right now or else I would. So booster>delay> amp would sound like running a delay into an already dirty amp?

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I run an overdrive into a delay then into a clean set amp. Doing it that way, the amount of dirt I get is determined by how high the gain is set on the overdrive pedal. I can get a clean boost up to a medium gain just by readjusting the overdrive. The delay sounds good either way, in my experience. Though I do lean toward cleaner tones when using a delay. I've always ran dirt pedals/boosters into delay and reverb pedals into the amp and gotten great results. Delay is pretty versatile.

Ex-riverman, lineboat and Obsessed like this.
  9. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Will it still sound good if you run just a clean boost (EP, Spark Mini, etc.) cranked all the way up into a delay and then into a low headroom clean amp like a Vox? I'd like to run my amp clean and then just push it into drive with my EP, but I don't want the delay to sound like it's going into an already dirty amp.

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

General consensus is that delays & verbs sound better after overdrive. So ideally, if you are overdriving your preamp then you might want to put those effects in the effects loop if possible. In practice, most of us don't have an effects loop and most listeners won't hear the difference when it's mixed with a band anyway.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

This video will give you an idea of what boost>delay sounds like at varying levels of gain.

12. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

You're going to have to try it. A clean boost is not the same as an overdrive, unless the boost has separate gain and volume controls.

The EP boost has only a volume knob. This means it pumps a larger, louder signal into whatever comes after it, so you may distort the delay pedal with the larger signal.

Overdrive pedals allow you to crank up the "gain", or distortion, without increasing the loudness by using the volume knob on the pedal.

With a boost, all of the distortion is coming from the amp, because it's getting hit hard by the boost. Anything between the boost and the amp is going to get hit hard as well. Everything that goes to the speaker is going to be more distorted than without the boost.

With a clean amp and a distortion/overdrive pedal, the amp is really just RE-producing distortion. It's not adding to the distortion itself. Just like a stereo, when you play a recording of distorted guitars through it, the stereo isn't causing the distortion. If, OTOH, you plug your guitar straight into the stereo and CRANK it, of course it will distort. A boost pedal in front of an amp is like turning the stereo UP. Everything is gonna distort.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on what you think sounds good and bad.

Who says running a delay into a dirty amp sounds any worse (or better) than running it into anything else?

RetroTeleRod, Steve 78 and MilwMark like this.
  14. MHorne39

MHorne39 TDPRI Member

Fantastic answer! So, in that case, would it make more sense to put the boost AFTER the delay, so that I can goose the amp into overdrive
    Maybe it was just my amp, but I ran my Empress Tape Delay into the dirty channel of my Orange Crush 35RT and it sounded like hot ass to me, but I never really liked that amp anyway. The delay trails never really seemed like they faded away naturally though, they always seemed super compressed even with the gain at only like 10 o' clock.

15. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

Run your boost after your delay. See if you like that sound better.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It’s a minute to try it different ways before realising getting an amp without an FX loop might have been a compromise too far.

Personally I think you have far more options for a wider range of clear, natural and musical delays and reverbs with an fx loop.

Once you get more gain it gets muddy and congested all placed in front to my ears anyway. You might like that sound but without an fx loop to try too, you might miss out on others.

17. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I can definitely see using a boost pedal after a delay. One might want to keep their delay cleaner sounding and be able to slam the front end of a guitar amp by using a boost pedal after the delay-especially a delay pedal is a digital delay that easily distorts. Whatever works is really the rule when setting up a effects chain.

18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

As far as I can tell, there are too many variables to give you an answer that is universally applicable - ranging from what kind(s) of delay settings do you want to use through to what does "good" mean?

I mean, I have an AC4HW1 which I slam sometimes with an RC Boost clone and a Rat (separately or together) and I often have delay after those two. I like it, but all that means is that I like it.

Do you have access to a store where you can try things out? If so, that would be my recommendation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Pax/
    Dean

19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I see a misunderstanding there: it's the higher input level that drives your amp into distortion.
    The booster itself will not provide an overdrive-sound. Neither does the delay. Except the output level of (any) pedal overdrives the input of your amp.
    But still, when you're overdriving the input of your amp, the overdrive sound you'll get comes from the amp. It will then always be "like running a delay into an already dirty amp".
    If you like that sound or not is another question, I don't, that's why I prefer to run my delay/reverb and mostly modulation in an effects-loop of my amp, i.e. I use amps with effects-loop for having the effect after the preamp section = after the gain-stages.

Also "low headroom" is highly depending on the amp you're using. The Vox AC30 is quite loud, the AC15 is as well.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Never mind.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.