Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pedal power options (Daisy chaining with a TU-3) ...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bailey, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Bailey

Bailey TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2011
    England
    Hi everyone,
    I'm going to probably buy a pedal from a guy tomorrow, he also has a Boss TU-3. If I buy this flanger which I very likely will do, I want a better way to power my pedals than batteries.

I phoned up my local music shop and asked about my options, they said get a Boss Brick (£120, no thanks), get a cheap version of the brick (about £35, but they strongly discouraged getting it), or daisy chain from a tuner. I think I'll daisy chain or get the cheap one.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these cheap multi power supplies, are they any good?

If I do daisy chain:

- What do I need? The shop said I need a special Roland 9V power supply and a daisy chain with a special adaptor as the Boss has a different adaptor, which could cost £45 together, plus the price of the TU-3, and I don't want to spend that much. Or are they just saying that and can I use my current 9V single pedal power supply and just get any generic daisy chain?

- Is there a limit to how many I can power from it?

- Are there any types of pedals I can't power with it? I heard it is not good for a delay?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

2. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    You can get a generic 9v power adaptor and a generic splitter cable. The "ma" rating determines how many pedals you can run (on average 4-5) That should run 99% of things except for old mij boss, reverse polarity 70's pedals, line 6 & some other digital pedals. Then when you add more pedals and want a noiseless rig you can buy a voodoo labs pedal power.

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    i had the dunlop dc brick for years because it was supposed to give you quiet, regulated current to all your pedals. it did the trick... and i really liked it...

one day my brick gave out on me; and in a pinch, i bought one of those cheap one spot wall wart daisy chains for $20. it did the same trick for $80 cheaper.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I power my pedals with the Boss TU-3

a Boss PSA adapter

and one of these

[​IMG]

My Boss adapter delivers 200mA. So that's enough for 10+ analog (overdrive, boost, comP) pedals, if they draw about 10-13 mA each, and or about 3 or 4 digital (delay, newer stuff) pedals maybe 50mA or more each. It is important to know the current draw specs of your stuff. So I will power 1 digital delay, the tuner, 2 overdrives and a compressor with the daisy chain. My phaser is old and runs off a battery.

You can run w/ a 1Spot or another adapter that will deliver more than 200mA.. IDK if there is a limit to how much the TU-3 can pass through.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Actually I have just read that the TC Electronic Nova Repeater needs 300mA to power. Gotta read up on all this stuff. edit: this may explain why I lost power to my pedal board at 1 gig... just ran straight into amp instead :)

The Visual Sound Axle Grease Delay 40 mA, guess that will be going on the board.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    One spot seems pretty good for the bucks. They don't seem to last long though. I haven't tried one personally, but I do know several people who have not been happy with the longevity.

I used to power off my TU2, and later my TU3. About two and half years ago, I finally broke down and bought a VooDoo Labs PP2+. I would never go back to anything else. I could be talked into spending MORE money on a power supply when the PP2+ goes belly up, but I wouldn't get anything lesser. The difference this little box made is outrageous. Got rid of noise I didn't even know I had. So quiet, that the first time I used it, I though my amp was broken. Dead, dead silent. And all of the effects sound better. They have more punch and clarity. It ain't my imagination. I can disconnect it and go back to daisy chaining off the tuner with a boss adaptor, and it's just not the same thing. Noisy, and the effects are lackluster once you get used to them with a real power supply.

You can certainly get by with a boss adaptor, a tuner, and daisy chain. I gigged for a living with that rig for years. Make sure you have enough MA power to handle your pedals. make sure all your pedals are proper polarity for your adaptor setup.

As was said above, when you're ready for your stuff to sound and work the best it can, get a real power supply. It hurt like hell to spend the money on mine when I bought it. As soon as I got it all rigged up and did a gig with it, all doubt went out the window. Best money I spent in context with my FX rig. Worth more to me than all of the pedals put together.

7. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    I use one of these with a daisy chain cable:

http://www.mooeraudio.com/en/ProductInfo.asp?id=80

Actually, I use 2 because my delay lives on top of the amp so it's easier to use a separate supply for that, but this supply delivers up to 2 amps so should be able to supply a fair number of pedals.

For pedals that use a different plug (like my Rat) I just use a little adapter that plugs onto the daisy chain cable.

8. Bailey

Bailey TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2011
    England
  9. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    Yes, that will work as long as your power adapter is putting out enough mA.

Before I got the Mooer, I was using a Danelectro power supply which gave out 200Ma and was powering 3 pedals using one of those daisy chain adapters.

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2010
    Sutton, Ma
    Daisy chaining off of the Boss tuner is a potential noise issue. Furthermore, the Boss tuner is maxed at 250mA of current. If you are chaining off of the tuner, I would suggest only analog pedals.

11. sagaci

sagaci Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2011
    Australia
    After quite a few years of not owning any Boss pedals. I took the plunge and bought a TU-3, OD-3, CS-3 and CE-5. All on the pedaltrain nano with a fuel tank junior mounted on the flip side. You can get the fuel tank juniors for about 80-90USD on a good deal. I've used voodoo lab supplies but for the smaller boards of 5 or less pedals that don't require intricate power needs, the FTJR is my pick. Isolated, small, reliable and has enough juice for these pedals.

View attachment 176812

12. Bailey

Bailey TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2011
    England
    Okay thanks for the help everyone. From the sounds of it the best option is the Voodoo labs, but I haven't got enough money for that at the moment. So for now I'll power off my 9v supply as it gives out 1.7A which is more than enough, or if I can get a good deal on the TU-3 I'll daisy chain from that. If I do get the TU-3, apart from a daisy chain adaptor can I just use my standard 9v PSU? Or do I have to buy a special one for daisy chaining?

And one other question, I'll post another thread on it too...
    I'm probably buying a vintage Japanese Boss HF-2 from a guy today, I've tried looking online but I can't find much info about the required power supply, but I think it is the Boss ACA 12V. They aren't in production any more so can I use my standard 9V DC power supply?

13. Bailey

Bailey TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2011
    England
    It's an HF-2 by the way.

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2013
    st. louis, illinois
    my one spot has served me well for 5 years, and we gig pretty hard. never had a problem with noise issues either. the brick i had previously was just as good as the one spot, but pooped out after two years (and cost significantly more)

if you can save money on a product that sounds as good... then that's always where my vote will be

15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    + this works

16. jnepo1

jnepo1 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2010
    Sutton, Ma
    The Boss tuners act as a daisy chain pass thru, in other words, just another effect in a daisy chain power line. It still requires power for operation, but can only be chained up to 250mA. So, if you are using or already using a daisy chain power supply like a 1Spot, don't daisy chain off of the DC tap, just keep it on line with the other pedals on your daisy chain.

If you intend to power the tuner with a daisy chain like the 1Spot, and then try to power other pedals off of the DC tap from the tuner, you are more apt to inducev noise to your signal.

17. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2012
    Turkey
    Get a BBE Supa Charger. It's pretty much the same as Voodoo Labs PP2+ and cheaper. I have one and it's dead quiet and sturdy. Last I saw, it sold for about 96 USD on amazon. If you're serious and will be gigging, then make this investment.

18. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Tele-Meister

May 23, 2011
    England
    I've been looking for a small power supply, only to find there's contradicting info about even these! :lol:

I'm torn between the Diago MicroPower 9 and the 1spot. Including a 5-6 daisy chain extension, the Diago costs £10 more than the 1spot. Has anyone used either and can comment on noise/issue/longevity issues against something like a T-Rex or Voodoo Labs unit?

19. groovie

groovie TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Ireland
    Have you considered the Harley benton power plant junior, about 25 from thomann. I got one recently. It's very quiet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.