Pedal PCB is Awesome!

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by cacophony, May 21, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh, I almost forgot...

Merry Christmas! I can’t believe it’s almost here. This last half of the year has just blown by.

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I've just finished a vero of the Lumpy Lemon Drop and, like Zippo, I had to futz with the 6k8 resister to get the 2N5457 biased. I ended up with a 5k1. This was after I sorted a few dry solder joints... grrrr!

It's a bit over-gained 'cos my BC108 has a hFE of 542 rather than 280, so I'm waiting for some others to test plus some BC183s which are said to be good lower value replacements. However... it sounds very good and 'tight'. Very 'Taxman' ish... too much gain for 'Paperback Writer'. Pics when sorted!

Happy Christmas y'all.

cacophony and zippofan like this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Thanks guys! It's a cool overdrive, I like it. I've built a bunch of dirt boxes for 2018, and it is up there with the Supreaux Deux and Aion's Nobels board as one of my favorites so far. I really appreciate all the tips I've learned here this year and enjoyed seeing everyone's builds. Remembering theory I learned years ago has been a bit of a struggle, so has getting a nice finish on the enclosures. I'm still hit and miss on both :D but that's part of the fun too.

I hope you all have a happy and safe Christmas and a pedal filled New Year!

cacophony and awasson like this.
  4. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

I've put an output buffer after my Cataclysm, which goes last in my chain. Retains the integrity of my tone.
    IMG20181228160116.jpg

5. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

The Mighty Parthenon
    IMG20190106130302.jpg IMG20190106130239.jpg IMG20190106130222.jpg IMG20190106050409_1.jpg

6. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Just completed my DIY grab-n-go pedalboard. First off the chain is a Sonicake Volwah. Next to that are circuits based from:

Ross Compressor
    Wampler Pantheon
    Dschwartz Multicab Sim
    EQD Sea Machine
    EQD Disaster Transport Jr.

Pedalboard cost me only 100 PHP (~2 USD). Pine wood sourced from a local woodworks shop. Black paint, polyurethane gloss and rubber feet were stashed in my workbench.

IMG20190107154427-01.jpeg IMG20190107154405-01.jpeg IMG20190107154348-01.jpeg IMG20190107154318-01.jpeg

7. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Your pedals look great! I have to ask, how are you getting white graphics and text, Alps decal printer? There are so many nice dark flake powder coat enclosures from Pedal Parts Plus, but I can't print white on clear. I can use white decal paper like on all my match box pedals, but that would cover up a lot of nice paint colors.

cacophony likes this.
  8. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Thanks a bunch! I use regular printer - Canon MP250. Here are the steps on how I get the white text and black background:

1. Design it with a black background/ border.
    2. Put on some labels in white. If there's a dark image that you want to include, invert it using online tools or MS Paint.
    3. Print it.
    4. Carefully cut along the lines using a pair of scissors. Doesn't matter if cut is crooked or straight. As long as you keep the border black and remove the excess whites. The crooked lines will be masked off by the black enclosure.
    5. Remove adhesive backing. Stick it on.
    6. Paint it off with 2-3 coats of clear, with minutes in between. I prefer 1 hour between coats.
    7. Let dry for a day.

awasson and zippofan like this.
  9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

You can't tell that it's a white label, they come out great!

I'm going to try that with my Madbean/VFE Pinball build, looking for some good graphics to borrow now since I can't draw to save my life ;-)

cacophony likes this.
  10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Brilliant! Providing you have the right background colour, you can get close to the cutting line without having to be dead-on, perfect. I’m going to give that a try too!

cacophony likes this.
  11. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Oasis a.k.a. EQD Dunes
    IMG20190116075342.jpg IMG20190116075356.jpg IMG20190116075319.jpg IMG20190116075256.jpg IMG20190116074753.jpg

12. pryonisys

pryonisys TDPRI Member

Just saw the other day that PedalPCB and https://www.taydaelectronics.com/ are working together to provide predrilled enclosures (all raw aluminum currently). I like to drill my own personally but I think this is a great option for those who may be interested.

Urshurak776 and zippofan like this.
  13. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

This is cool, but the blank colored enclosures are the same price. If you have no way of drilling them yourself or want to paint your own enclosure, this is a great option for the same money. Nice to see this. Now, if only we can get Tayda to start carrying some decent input/output jacks.......the neutrik's have been OOS since the Reagan administration.

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

"Chickenhead" (aka Red Rooster) in progress:

Red Rooster inprogress.jpg RedRooster guts.jpg

It's been too cold to try and make decals so I just went ahead and built it. Rangemaster style boost with a NOS Mullard CV7112 germanium NPN transistor, hFE around 80, it kicks ***!

If you can snag one of these transistors, build it! It's pretty quiet with no funky grounding or charge pump needed. And FYI. there was some argument about the collector/emitter orientation on one of the pedal forums that these are symmetrical. When I measured hFE (both with my tester and via GeoFex method) it isn't symmetrical. I even installed it in the socket both ways. Emitter is the red dot (in this case at least). I have another with slightly less gain, so I'm going to perfboard this circuit too.

I like the cream knobs but I think I'm going to go with black since the decal will be black text. I also have a LED lens to install.

Bristlehound likes this.
  15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

More in progress... Along with the Red Rooster, the PedalPCB "Pauper" (Prince of Tone) and VFE/Madbean Pinball tilt EQ:

inprogress2_19.jpg

That's enough drilling for tonight, nerve wracking getting everything lined up. The real fun part will be the decal for the Pinball. I love the enclosure color, but black on clear won't work. I found some cool pinball graphics that will be printed on white stock, using white lettering. I hope it comes out ok.

16. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

These two are ready for clear once it warms up a bit:
    RedRooster_Prince_clear.jpg

17. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Lacquered the decals, just gotta re-box the Red Rooster and finish assembly on the Prince of Tone now. Also made a cool decal for the Madbean/VFE Pinball EQ, will post a thread on it when it's ready. Not that the darn weather cooperated, snowing at the moment...ugh.

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Red Rooster completed, Prince of Tone ready to wire up.

redrooster_top.jpg princeoftone_top.jpg

Edit, wired up!

Prince_guts.jpg Prince_on.jpg

Time to play with the settings now, quick test on my ZT Lunchbox sounds good but this definitely needs to be hooked up to a tube amp with a bigger speaker.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    awasson likes this.
  19. BayouTele

BayouTele TDPRI Member

Man those look great! What kind of decals are you using? And are those mammoth enclosures? What kind of clear are you using over them if so?

I’ve been using mammoth enclosures with rustoleum clear enamel, but all of the laser decal paper I’ve used ends up cracking when I spray it with the clear coat. On the hunt for a working combo.

zippofan likes this.
  20. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Thank you!

The decal paper is from Amazon, Hayes is the brand name. Not sure where it's from, other than it's A5 size unlike the Micro Mark papers I used for years. The powder coated enclosures are from Mammoth though I've painted a bunch I got from Small Bear. Those I did with Testors Lacquer over the gray matte powder coat.

I used Krylon for years but that was with wooden models (Pinewood Derby), unfortunately it crazes over the aluminum boxes for some reason, so I switched to Rustoleum clear Lacquer. Trouble with the Rustoleum is that it absolutely stinks, coating the decals and spraying the top coat are difficult when it's cold and they have to dry inside.

I told Mrs Z I'd try the low VOC Krylon but I have a feeling it won't work as well. I'll find out as soon as my current supply of Rustoleum lacquer is gone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.