Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pedal Board Using Nothing But Mini Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MDMachiavelli, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a pedal junkie. I have hundreds of them. I have everything from pedals 50 years old to several days old.

But what I don't have is any mini pedals.

Even though I have a lot of pedals I can't stand big, junkie pedal boards. I usually no more than 7 pedals on a board.

Right now I'm using a 2 row Pedaltrain that is about 20 inches wide. I got to thinking about that even it is too bulky for my taste. So I thought about taking the pedals that I use now, see if they make mini counterparts. So here are my pedals.

Polytune - Yes there is a mini
    Ego Compressor - Yes there is a mini - just found out
    TC Electronic Flashback Delay - Yes there is a mini
    TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb - Yep
    MXR Analog Delay - No
    MXR Phase 90 - Yep (the 95)
    Various Overdrives ( I swap between several) - Yes there are plenty
    Occasional Tremelo (doesn't have a permanent spot on board) - Open to suggestions

Okay that being said, the ones that have mini counterparts are no brainers to me. I will just get the mini counterpart, but that leaves the analog delay, overdrive, and tremolo.

Let's start with the analog delay. Something keeps steering me toward the Ibanez Analog Delay Mini. What is your thoughts? Do you have any other suggestions?

Second what about overdrives, I have looked and looked at the numerous ones out there and the Keeley Red Dirt mini keeps popping up? Seems like a good pedal, what do you think. I went into it with the Mini Tube Screamer in mind but every review I've seen said it is noisy as hell. What is everyone else's experience?

And last what about a tremolo or even a vibe? I have no idea on this one. It doesn't usually keep a permanent spot on my boards so I'm open to any suggestions.

I hoping all, at least the first seven will fit on a Nano+.

Any and all feedback and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That board would make your feet look huge!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    "Honey, does this board make my feet look fat?"

Sunaffu, RetroTeleRod and Felino like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Grux

Grux Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I have a hotone eko delay and it's fabulous, my buddy has the tremolo pedal and it sounds equally good. They are VERY VERY small too!

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    My feet are too big for those.

7. adamgdog

adamgdog TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    Mooer Varimolo tremolo? They make good quality pedals. I use the Mooer Shimverb and love it.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Neat idea! I kind of want to do that too... I have a Pedaltrain Nano that fits 4 regular sized pedals but I could probably squeeze 6 minis on there, right? Does anyone make a mini silicon Fuzz Face? That's the one I use most. Oh, and I'd need a mini EQ.

9. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    Tumnus=mini Klone...for OD purposes. Just a suggestion, I haven't played one.

Dunlop makes a mini FF silicon pedal, but it's still round and looks about the same width as a standard BOSS unit.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Look up the Kokko SOS FLP2 looper, it's in a mini package and is a clone of a Ditto ... $30 price range.

MDMachiavelli likes this.
  11. MDMachiavelli

Which indirectly would make me look like "The Man"

12. MDMachiavelli

I haven't even thought about a looper. I do have a Ditto and like it. So you are saying there is a Ditto Mini clone on the market for $30?

Is it half way decent?

You have really got my interest.

13. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    I think the Red Dirt mini is awesome. Absolutely one of the best takes on a TS circuit I've used. All four configurations of the mini dip switches are usable, but I'm currently using it in the stock setting.

I have the TC mini delay and reverb, and both are great.

14. MDMachiavelli

That's the exact kind of feedback I'm looking for. Excuse the pun. Thanks

hongaku likes this.
  15. mannequin

mannequin TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Florida
    pretty sure 7 will fit on a nano+ easily! you could start rotating some to fit more but then it gets ugly lol

bad horse is probably the best klon circuit you'd get until the tumnus and its only like 50 new! you could argue the bad horse is better than the tumnus in some set ups bc the tumnus has a pretty noticeable bottom end

mooer trelicopter is pretty highly praised as a trem

i heard the hof mini gets hissy unless you get a dedicated power supply so you might not want that.

16. MDMachiavelli

7 would be plenty for me

17. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    Good luck with the board MDMachiavelli, I'm attempting the same with cheaper pedals (Donner etc) being a father of twins it's the only price bracket of pedal that I feel I can justify lol.

Mini pedals will bring you immense joy, and make you feel like Gulliver.

18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I like my main pedalboard - and my board back home.
    But for jams and sort of open stage events where I just want to take one guitar and a gigbag at the maximum, I made a small board with sort of budget mini pedals (the Danelectro PB&J isn't
    designed/marketed as one, but it is in fact.....tiny): Guitar - Hotone Soulpress Wah - Harley Benton Golden Face - Harley Benton Clean Glass - Hotone Trem - Danelectro PB&J Delay.
    Power comes from a Harley Benton Powerbank to avoid as much cables and connections on stage as possible.
    I'm really satisfied with the sounds, using both amps that happen to stand around as well as direct to PA (with the help of either a Tech21 Blonde or a Palmer Pocket Amp MK2, 'though).
    Still able to stuff everything in one gigbag....

20170603_121617.jpg

19. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    What about a Deluxe Memory Man for delay? After all, you'll have plenty of space for it after shrinking the other pedals ;)

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Ammoon, Rowin, Mooer, Hotone and TC Electronics do mini-loopers.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/tc-electronic-ditto-looper-pedal
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/HOTONEWALLY/looper-pedals/hotone-wally-looper-pedal
    https://www.tomtop.com/guitar-acces...K3-wVGDoNK8FXrOvCORMTW9B1vcFJQcbupBoC_2Tw_wcB

The Hotone looks rather interesting. The Ammoon is closer to $30 though.

21. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Pickle Vibe probably.

There are other delays besides the Ibanez, there's a Mooer copy of the Boss DM-2 and also the Movall Centipede.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.