Pedal board overload

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, May 27, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

Sorry in advance for my meandering thoughts..

I just played in my first real "jam" in about a year. This, after thoughtfully assembling my rig, which includes, of course, a Tele (naturally I swapped the pups), a 68 Princeton custom reverb (naturally I swapped the speaker), and my painstakenly meticulously assembled pedal board -

3 different OD pedals, comp, wah, delay, phase, muff etc

Funny, a day ago I would never have inserted an "etc" when describing my board.

My point:

2 Other guitarists there tonight. 3 completely different setups.. 3 very similar sounding entities.

I mean, I think I've realized, for example that OD is OD is OD.

I struggled to differentiate my sound. Yes my set up sounds pretty good I think.. But not "extraordinary." That's a little disappointing, given the time, effort and money.

The biggest takeaway... My 3 od pedals - ocd, od808, and em drive, all do the same damn thing in a band setting. Even the muff really! It's just pushing the amp. I'm dejected a little.

Might scale down. Tuner and comp stay... One drive pedal... Maybe that's it. It seemed like having the escalating "stackable" gain stages was a waste of time.

Thanks for reading this post jam rant.

Rock on!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I prefer a two channel amp. Set one clean and one with OD. I did however get an EH Cokfight Fuzz pedal for real heavier distortion needs.

Rumblur likes this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Instead of being dejected, be proud of your insight. The other two fellas prolly still ain’t figured it out yet!

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The only time different flavors of OD mean anything is when we're in our house, playing them, noticing how different they sound.

In a band setting, overdrive is overdrive. Nobody can tell your OCD from your DS-1.

5. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

all od's sound the same cause you set them to sound the same.or the songs you play need std od setting. i don't think that the OCD sound the same as any 808 as stand alone pedals. now in the case of pushing the dirt channel of the amp there might the most od's do much the same.so if you do the last keep one of all.

surfspeck and cyclopean like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My take is that unless you are running through a sparkly clean amp at high volume, OD pedals are a total waste of time away from home and recording.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My sense is that small amps sound more the same than big amps, in terms of OD/ dist/ fuzz.
    In order to really hear your expensive pedal array you need the amp to stay clean.

However, probably the majority of Boost, OD and dist pedals sound best pushing the amp into making its own distortion.

The pedals that have a distinct sound worth hearing are fewer than those designed to overdrive an amp.

There's a reason Gilmour doesn't run his muffs into a PRRI...

I think in fairness to the pedal search though, you would hear more of a difference between your pedals if you brought the ones you didn't like and didn't put on your board.

We choose pedals we like, because they make the kind of sound we want to hear.
    In order to get sounds that are not all pretty much the same, we need to choose some pedals that are not what we hear in our head, especially if running them above untiy gain into a little 12w amp.

So keep your one favorite on the board and put back two of whatever you tried and didn't like because they sounded bad!
    Might be able to get more range by setting one very bright and one very dark, but gain settings will be unheard if you're driving the little PRRI.
    Then you'll have one sound you like and two sounds you don't like, which will give you the ability to get different sounds.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  8. Axegrinder77

That's a good point. We set them all the same (they way we think they sound best) and wonder why they all sound the same lol. You've given me a good idea . I'll try messing with volumes and tone settings etc. Sounds so obvious! Haha.

3-Chord-Genius and nojazzhere like this.
  9. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

After a lot of drama I've finally decided what works for me is a clean amp with one OD pedal set for a boosted "clean" tone and a second pedal for a mid-accented overdrive. Simple...but effective.

10. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I could see setting one OD for a glassy neck pickup and another for a fatter bridge pickup sound. Works great if you don't switch pickups mid song much and gives you a couple of options for the middle position.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

You used a Princeton in a jam with 2 other guitar players.
    It may be that you just got drowned out.What amps were they using?
    I'm using a Princeton,but I don't bring it to jams.

stratoman1 likes this.
  12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

if you think all stacked gain sounds the same you're doing it wrong.

kevsonic likes this.
  13. Axegrinder77

That isn't an issue. I had to keep it at around 3 on volume. I just don't understand how a Princeton wouldn't ever be loud enough. I brought an sm57 just in case. Totally wasn't necessary.

Marc Morfei and brbadg like this.
  14. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahahahahaha what have we come to that a PRRI is a loud amp?

I've had to turn down my Marshall because the other guys Twin reverb wasn't loud enough to hear.

Guitar through a mixer reamped through a monitor isn't the same as a half stack.
    Like, what a bummer man!

Realistically though, the whole point of the electric guitar is that the speakers drive the strings.
    Playing below the volume where the guitar and amp are a controlled feedback loop?
    Why even bother?
    For the light gauge strings?
    Looks cooler than an acoustic?

I mean I get why electrics are still used despite the loss of the feedback loop function, just not a fan of the new world order.
    Stage volume did used to be too loud though, when there was 10,000 watts blasting the audience.
    A 50w Marshall 20 feet away is really not that loud, and the player can work in the closer distance but below the ear height volume area to get the singing sounds that require a very light RH touch and let the amp drive the strings and sound.

I think an awful lot of the seemingly endless supply of pedals are trying to replicate the bigger louder amp experience, albeit unsuccessfully.

Maybe the issue is that nobody cares about music enough any more, and patrons want to have nice polite little conversations when they go out to see live bands perform.

We read on the internet that "the audience doesn't care" how the guitar sounds.
    That right there is the issue, if it's true that audiences no longer care about live music performances.

Does the audience talk during a movie or a play?

Sean Mac, basher and Paul in Colorado like this.
  15. Axegrinder77

I see a lot of old rockers wearing hearing aids, so there's that.

I am usually happy with the Princeton on 4 or 5 - the sweet spot - but 3 gets good tone still. It's why I traded my deluxe reverb for it. It burns and sings at reasonable volume.

I do have it boosted with drive pedals as well, so that brings the volume and gain higher.

brbadg likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

Yeah we did a lot of hearing damage over the years.
    But a PRRI or even a 5f1 Champ will damage hearing.
    It's the ears proximity to the sound source.
    A full stack puts the speakers right at ear level.
    Two full stacks driven by 200 watts was common.
    A half stack driven by a 50w amp turned down a bit can be worked with safely on stage.
    A straight cab helps too IME.
    Make that cab semi open back and it's less beamy in the front row.
    A Fender combo on tilt back legs will hit your ears more, and that was needed when the monitors were driven by 1000 watts.

With high tech hearing protection there is no safety reason to not use a 50w amp.
    It's OSHA and audiences that come for the scene rather than the music IMO.
    Plus sound techs have been given the OK to make guitars play at low volume.

It does take a good amount of maturity to manage stage volumes though, and I'm still not all that mature...

17. surfspeck

surfspeck TDPRI Member

Certain overdrives work well for different style amps. I prefer fender style amps and the two overdrives that seemed to work the best through my different amp setups over the years (67 Silver face Twin, Tone King Metropolitan and for the last 5 years Devilcat Mr Terry 30 Watt) have been the Barber Burn Unit and the Fulltone Fulldrive II. Neither of these overdrives worked well with Marshall style amps (at least to my ears). I got rid of the fulldrive several years ago because I was using it mostly as a clean Boost in combo with the Burn Unit and it just took up too much space on my board. I’ve replaced it with an Exotic EP Boost.

I have tried many other overdrives with my setups and always default back to the Burn Unit. I would like to try a King of Tone and some of the Kingsley pedals (I’ve heard great things about both).

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Barber Direct Drive and an EXH Soul Food overdrive, running into my PRRI. I've set them at different levels of overdrive so that I get some slight dirty sound with one and harder crunch with the other. When I want some serious heavy crunch, I turn them both on. I can certainly hear the differences when playing with my band.

Also, in our rehearsal studio, the PRRI can easily drown out the drummer and the vocals, so it is definitely loud enough.

On stage, it gets miked.

19. telemnemonics

Maybe a better response is to look at your "not extraordinary" comment.

I find that the only times a playback has what I consider a sound that even approaches extraordinary is when I was strongly emotionally connecting with the music.
    Sort of a playing like my life depended on it thing.
    If I'm playing the gear for a gear based great sound, I'm going to sound ordinary or worse.

This also explains why certain players sound great on a Squier straight into a bandit.

20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

mine make a big difference for gigging and practicing. but part of my sound is driving the front end of the amp hard.

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.