Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peculiar grounding issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Endless Mike, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Watch me reveal my ignorance!

I replaced the stock pickups in my 50's Baja Tele with some Cavalier. Both bridge and neck. Everything works, but there's quite a buzz in the bridge position, it doesn't go away when touching the strings or bridge plate. But it DOES go away when I touch the control plate.

What the heck?

Any ideas what I did or did not do correctly?

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Sounds like you accidentally did not re-connect the wire from under the bridge plate to ground, or it broke off somewhere.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes.

Or, the bridge was originally grounded through the bridge pickup's metal base plate, and the new pickup doesn't have one. If so, run a ground wire from the back of the volume pot to the underside of the bridge plate.

4. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'll do that. Both pickups have plates underneath. Usually when I've encountered this before, the buzzing goes away when I touch the bridge plate as well, so it threw me.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Strangely, there wasn't one on the stock pickup.

6. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    The wire I'm referring to is not from the pickup. There's often a wire from the control cavity through a channel in the wood that surfaces under the bridge plate - in some models the wire surfaces from a small wire-size diameter hole in the wood and is just bent over sitting on the surface of the wood - not fastened in place at all. When the bridge plate gets screwed down on top of it, it makes the ground connection to the bridge, and thus the strings. If it got pulled so that it does not protrude under the plate, you've lost the ground.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Okay, understood. I'm thinking about the way Rob D does it with his pickups. He includes a wire with a loop that sits between the surgical tubing and the bridge. It contacts the bridge,
    and runs to ground in the control cavity. Different method, same principle. There is not a wire, as you describe on this guitar. Can speak for other Bajas. I've seen what you referred to in the past, on other guitars. But this one doesn't have it. What's on the stock pickup is a wire from the base plate to the pickup ground. I assume this achieves the same result. Rob's pickups aren't designed that way, hence the third wire he includes for grounding.

I forgot to include that wire, but have remedied that, so now all is well.

Thanks for the help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.