Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Peavey Valverb; What do you know, what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by shakedancer, Jan 31, 2006.

1. shakedancer

shakedancer Tele-Afflicted

I bought one when it 1st came out. Haven't used it much. I think it could use some tubes. Is it safe to open up and replace the tubes, or should I take to a tech? How do you feel overall about the reverb and tremelo?

2. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about maintence on them...

but they are great! I've been looking for one forever! A friend of mine has one and it sounds amazing!

Good stuff!

Johnny Isaacs

3. shakedancer

Thanks Johnny!! I'll know who to PM if I ever decide to sell it ;) Yeah, you don't see many floating around!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

I think they're great!

Johnny Isaacs

6. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Tele-Holic

One of the coolest things Peavey ever made, and it was discontinued in less than a year, IIRC.

Takes three preamp tubes (12AT?) that are very easy to replace. No need for rebiasing, so I see no reason to take it to a tech. The stock tubes are not the highest quality, so expect to hear some improvement when you upgrade. I wouldn't go for overhyped/priced brands like MesaBoogie or GrooveTubes- Sovteks or ElectroHarmonix should do nicely.

7. shakedancer

Ok, you guys are making me glad I have this. 8) I don't own any other rack stuff. I bought this at the time to have reverb with my BMRI. Jean, I'd have to get the book out, but I think there is 3 12AX7's in there. They are the original tubes and I think one or more may be going bad. It does have a caution notice about opening the case, but I figured as long as I go right to the tubes there should not be a problem. I don't have to have balanced tubes for this, do I? I'm getting some JJ tubes from Euro for my Pro JR, and thought I'd get 3 Pre amps for the unit.

8. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

Yeah....you don't see many of these around anymore. I've played through several and always came away with the same thought....."MAN.....I NEED ONE OF THESE BAD!"

Beautiful, lush reverb and hypnotic, pulsating trem. Why they quit making these, I'll never know. I'm still on the hunt to find one cheap. Need to hit some of those out of the way pawn shops!

9. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Tele-Holic

Yep

I keep hoping to snag one those. The prices keep going up, too.

10. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Tele-Holic

But when they were readily available I heard NOTHING but complaints about them. There was even a 'mod' to correct a percieved "volume drop" when the trem's engaged...

That's why some trem pedals employ a boost- most users have never heard real amp tremolo, and think there's something wrong

11. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Tele-Holic

RE:Volume drop

The Valverb has a +4db boost, if I remember correctly. I don't know if all versions had the boost, or if it was something Peavey did later to correct the percieved volume drop.

12. shakedancer

Ok you guys just hit on something! I hadn't used it in a long time and thought I needed tubes because the volume does drop off with the Tremelo engaged. Can you direct me to the Mod for this? If not no big deal. Unit adds alot to sound with just reverb on. Has drive, and seems to add muscle to the amp. I don't use Tremelo much at all.

13. chet.d

chet.d TDPRI Member

To revive this thread a bit...

Is it just my valverb or do any other folks find it noisy?:confused:

I love the sound and tremelo but find it hard to use with the noise.
    I did change the tubes but that didn't solve the problem. considering finding a tech to check it out.

14. stripey

stripey NEW MEMBER!

To help revive this thread a bit further...

I have a Valverb. In fact, the reason I'm here now is that I was playing it last night, A/B-ing it with a Lexicon LXP-1, because I thought I was going to have to sell one or the other, so I was trying to decide. Ended up deciding I probably have to keep both :)

Yes, the Valverb is a little noisy. I don't know if there's much you can do about it. However, the noise in mine only seems to come when the far right-hand master volume is cranked up. The far left-hand input gain doesn't introduce noise.

So I keep my gain up high (around 3 o'clock) and my volume down low (around 9 o'clock) and that works well enough for me. The rest of my signal volume is generated by the amp.

The Valverb is a really nice valve-driven spring reverb. It doesn't do any other reverb sounds, which is either a point for or a point against, depending on your position. But I have it sitting under my '75 Champ and it's exactly the right size with the rack ears taken off :)

I might try all-new JJ tubes, now I read the earlier posts here. Couldn't hurt to replace the stock tubes, right?

15. chet.d

chet.d TDPRI Member

So... Had a tech check mine out and it needed a new transformer.
    It now sounds great! Was going to sell it but, mmmm maybe not.

Still interested in that +4 db tremelo mod though.
    Haven't found a solid mod plan for that yet...

16. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

One of the coolest pieces of Peavey gear ever. If it ever comes up for sale, I challenge Mr. Isaacs to a steel cage death match over it! I was busy paying off two Peavey Bravos and a Peavey ProFex II when the Valverb came out. Never had a chance to own one, but would love to have one.

17. willvis

willvis TDPRI Member

valverb

The Valverb is pretty cool. I've had one since I bought it new around '91. They are pretty much cheap junk when you get right down to it---the tubes are cheap, etc. Mine was a workhorse, in a little rack with a delay on top of my Super Reverb back in the '90s. But I have Burriss Royal Bluesman head now, so the Valverb can't compete with that fine, fine tube reverb and tremolo!

Probably the best Tremolo I've heard. If I need to go super slow---The Burriss doesn't go that slow---I have an old Demeter Tremulator...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.