Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Peavey Tube Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Hiker, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    South
    Introducing the Peavey Amp Club for owners/users of Peavey amps with tube technology, including all-tube versions and hybrids containing a solid-state preamp. A short list of Peavey tube amps includes: Bravo, Classic, Delta Blues, Encore, Mace, and Windsor. Several Peavey model specific clubs have started, and stalled, so hopefully those members will join us, here.

Please share information, stories, and photos if you will.

The Encore 65 (all tube) arrived at my doorstep with what appeared to be the original tubes, and a footswitch. It likes single coils, humbuckers, and pedals. This amp has been compared to the Fender Twin in sound, and weighs a hefty 49 lbs. There are 6 tubes total, (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7, and (2) 6L6GC.

Attached Files:

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I want to be a member one day, that is, an owner of a Peavey tube amp. I hadn't thought to shop for older models that are no longer in production; I'll have to think about that. I have been sorely tempted by a Delta Blues, though...or maybe a C30...

3. storyboards27

storyboards27 Tele-Meister

May 18, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I've got a late 70s Classic VT 50 watt 4x10. Solid state preamp and 6L6s in the power amp. Fantastic sounding amp (especially when you consider I only paid $130 for it).

[​IMG]

(not my amp, but mine's identical except for casters on the bottom)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    I've got a basement full. Pics are available for some but not all. Here's a list:

2 Bravos

VTM 60

Triumph 120

Classic 30

5150 Combo

I'd like to have an original all-tube Classic and a few of the modern Classics, as well as a Triple X, but I kinda buy 'em as I can afford 'em.

6. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2008
    shreveport, LA
    I have a tweed covered Classic 50 with 4-10"s in it with a home built extension cabinet with matching tweed covering and a single 15" Black Widow speaker in it. sounds and looks great.

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've been contemplating Peavey tube amps for a while, models that are currently in production, such as the Delta Blues (2x10s? 1x15?) or a C30. I have test-driven a C30 and a C50 (4x10) in a local store at different times, and I played a friend's LP through his son's ValveKing 112. I'd sure like to try out a DB of either speaker configuration, but I haven't found one available locally.

However, this thread got me to thinking about shopping for older Peavey tube amp models that are no longer in production. So in the last 12 hours I've been doing some research (checking out owner's manuals from Peavey Support online, and YouTube videos), and I'm getting interested in the Bravo 112. I'm thinking that its 25 watts are plenty for my needs, and it sounds good in the YT vids I've watched.

But the one aspect of research that I can't do as readily on these older models is to play 'em. So, e-merlin, talk to me about those Bravos of yours.

I play classic Rock, classic Country and some new Country and a little blues. I do solo gigs, and guitar and vocals in a duo. Our audiences (and venues) are small to relatively small, as in 35-100 people. I plug my acoustic/electric into the PA, and for my Teles I put a mic in front of an amp (either a Bandit 65, 75 or Studio Pro 112, or my Vox Pathfinder 15R) and run it into the PA, while the amp is behind me. Does this sound like a Bravo might be the right amp for my purposes?

Oh, and e-merlin, sure would like to see whatever pics you have of your list of tube Peaveys, especially the Bravos.

8. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    South
    There are many demonstration videos on youtube featuring older Peavey amps. :D Six or more of those contain Bravo demos w/ humbuckers. Still looking for a Bravo demo w/ single coil pups.

9. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Found one. And with a Tele, no less.

And seriously, I'm asking: how does the Bravo compare to my Bandits and Studio Pro? Tone? Touch sensitivity? I'd like some input.

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Hiker, it'd be great if you could put together a demo video of your Encore 65.

[​IMG]

There aren't many out there, period. And of the few that are, no Teles are being played through them. Sure would like to hear a good demo of the Encore.

And also I'm still hoping for some input on the Bravo.

11. ValliereSB

ValliereSB TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I've owned a db 1x15. Best amp I've ever had. Working on getting another. Right now I have an early seventies classic. Another great amp.

I have a friend with a classic 30, and I'm not much of a fan.

12. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    LGOberean, i sent you a PM.

mitchfit

13. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Over the years I've owned 3 of the original Classic amps from the '70s (2 tweeds,I black tolex).

Snagged this old Classic VTX a couple of years ago,traded an early '90s Digitech RP-1 for it.Needs some TLC on the cab,but sounds great.
    [​IMG]

And the obligatory C30....
    [​IMG]

14. zeoy

zeoy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2010
    Athens, Greece
    Peavey Bravo was my one and only amp from '92 till very recently. I was gigging regularly with it (from small bars to open festivals) and taking it with me to every rehearsal studio. Always played single coils and I was getting many compliments for my sound. Never needed overdrive/distortion pedals. A real workhorse too. A cracked trace in the PCB was the only problem during all these years. (easily fixed for very cheap).
    Still have it, 100% stock except for some tube swaps.

15. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2009
    arkansas
    Try a prowler for a clean channel. 40 watt all tube with a 12 in it. It will crank! They r pretty cheap when u can find them. I gave $150 about 8 yrs. ago for mine. I dis have to send it n for some cold solder joints to be fixed a couple yrs ago.

16. sacrificetravis

sacrificetravis Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    perryville, md
    Any way you can send the dimensions and specs of the extension cab I wanna do a 212 to go under my 410s

17. RT1a

RT1a TDPRI Member

I own that amp as well. Mine has 2X12 Scorpion Speakers. IT IS GREAT! As long as I play electric guitar, I will keep this amp!

18. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Meister

Dec 27, 2008
    Berks County, PA
    Just bought my first tube amp in over 19 years...

It's a 1974 Peavey Vintage Tweed, 2 x 12 combo, 100 watts. It looks its age, but I think I can live with that...in fact, I like that. They are old style Peavey, solid state pre amp, 4 tube main. I have NO idea what tubes are in it, or what should be in it, or even what this one sounds like...bought it online.

Should be here mid week, and we shall see.
    Any experience with these or with tubes for them?

Thanks.
    Mine looks like this, not as pretty, but half the money, shipped.
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/peavey-vintage-tweed-bandmaster-1973-tweed

I also have 4 other Peavey SS amps, all from the '80's,

mark

19. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
  20. Platefire

Platefire Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Pacer/From Solid State to Deluxe Reverb Tube Circuit

This Pacer was the last surviving amp from my early years that I ended up keeping. After I got into tube amp building in about 2000 and I aquired a full new set of DRRI transformers from a friend cheap who replaced his DRRI with Mercury Magnetics. I begin to get the idea of converting the Pacer to Deluxe Reverb Blackface circuit but wanted to retain the Pacer appearace so it would actually be a Deluxe Reverb Incogneto. So here are some pixs of the result. It's pretty much stock DR with the exception of I made the middle control into a combination Mid/Raw control---so to about 4.5 is a mid control and after that it starts progressively grounding out the tone stack and preamp gain increases. One cool sounding Pacer now. Maybe we can get Hartley P to do a re-issue geared up like this! :D Platefire

Attached Files:

21. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Deluxe Reverb Incognito (DRI). I like that. That takes care of what designation to use for the model. But for the make? What would you call that? A Feavey? A Pender, maybe? ;) :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.