Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey T60

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Guitmitch, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Guitmitch

Guitmitch NEW MEMBER!

Mar 24, 2017
    Ozark, mo
    I purchased a 1979 natural in 2016 and it's kind of like the 1965 Rambler station wagon I learned to drive in. It was the dorkiest, uncool thing to drive in those days. Oh, how I wish I had one today. Now I own many quality guitars.
    Martin HD28, 1978
    American Standard Strat, 2007
    Gibson SG T, 2016
    Gibson LPJ, 2013
    Breedlove SR25 pro, 2007
    Fender Showmaster, 1999
    Mark 1v, Mesa boogie, 2000
    Fender twin, 1972
    Though heavey, My opinion of the T60 is that it is right at the top of the quality scale. It stays in tune consistently. Every tone imaginable can be dialed in. The thin neck suits me well. I also love the case with the two storage compartments. This is the only case I've ever seen with that kind of storage space. I'd put this T60 up against any guitar out there for playability, tone, and overall quality. I understand how "younger players" think it's ugly and too heavy, but to me it's like a 1960''s Rambler wagon, way cool today! I added the T60 to my collection for $375! Incredible piece of history and quality for the money.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My first electric was a T60. It was a great guitar, well built with quality components. Gave it a friend several decades ago.

KyAnne and Frodebro like this.

3. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I have a T40 bass which I played 5 nights a week for 6 years .... I now have back problems. I still have it and I still play it when I have to play bass.
    I like the T60 guitar better than most anything Fender has put out. I almost bought one a year ago ... it sound good.... real good. It is too damn heavy to have hanging on you for a 4 hour gig so I passed on it. Real sleepers though.

KyAnne and brookdalebill like this.

4. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Great guitars.
    About 15 years ago,T-60s were all over the place here in pawn shops....every shop seemed to have at least one.I gave a moment to the idea of starting a collection,instead of what people were normally collecting.All of these were between $150/$175 with case,and all colors and necks (natural,black,sunburst,maple,rosewood).T-40s too.
    Wish I had snagged a few......

KyAnne and KellyCaster71 like this.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I have a Tea Burst T-60 and ......... drum roll........ a Black T-63. That's the unofficial name of a triple pickup T 60. I routed out the body to accommodate the middle pickup and found someone who has the three pick up pick guard. The weight of the tea burst is good, but I call the Black one "Zombie Killer" It weighs a ton.

6. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Have a friend who buys and sells guitars as a hobby. He bought about three Peaveys and although he loves to play them he can't seem to get rid of them. He has them in the $200 range on CL hoping someone would jump on them as they are made in the USA but so far no bites.
    I keep telling him all it takes is for someone famous to show up with one and their value will skyrocket but no such luck as of yet.

They are indeed boat anchors and they made a million of them, but they were kind of like the OP said, ugly, solid, and built to last.

KyAnne and Tacotuesday like this.

7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC
    If I had the $$$ I would love to own another T-60!! The one that I had was, in fact, also heavy as all get out but at the time, I was only playing guitar in church (that's actually where I first played a T-60).
    I sold the one that my parents bought me (same kind of story as with my much beloved 69 RI paisley Tele that I would give anything to have back - my Mom told me I'd regret it - and she was right. Boy, do I deeply regret it!)

I reckon I just got tired of how heavy the Peavey was as to why I sold it. But - I also didn't know at the time about how different woods affect the tones of a guitar.

If I ever see a T-60 in a natural finish come up on Flea-Bay and I've got some $$$ that I can safely spend (without it dipping into the drum kit fund), you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll have one again. :)

KyAnne and bsman like this.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    They were very popular in Central Texas thanks to Hartley Peavey and Ray Hennig (Heart Of Texas or H.O.T Music).
    I still see them in guitar shops, pawn shops and CL.
    I'm firmly in the "no" camp, BUT I'll never tell you they are not excellent tools.
    Just like Peavey amps.
    T60s, T40s and their little brothers and sisters were very well made, very well engineered/designed, and are still doing the work they made for.
    Bravo!
    The boasted early (or earliest) CNC manufacturing.
    I can't bond with them over weight, neck size, general aesthetic and switching issues.
    Lotta people must dig them, anyways.

KyAnne and jimash like this.

9. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D

10. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    If I remember correctly, I paid about $120 for this really messed up T60 and then got to work on it......it now works, cleaned up pretty well and looks a bit reliced. A great guitar (if you can pick it up) but it just sleeps in it's case these days....

I love road worn looking guitars but this one was just filthy dirty....that I don't dig so much.

IMG_4834.JPG IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5022.JPG IMG_5023.JPG IMG_5024.JPG IMG_5025.JPG IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5032.JPG IMG_5034.JPG View attachment 414676

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    P Thought, KyAnne, studio1087 and 4 others like this.

11. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    IMG_0429.JPG

P Thought and studio1087 like this.

12. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I bought a T60 new shortly after they came out, natural finish, lkept it for a while and as I recall I traded it in on a Musicman Sabre.
    I got another one used a few years later, painted it black, put some Duncan humbuckers in it. Played it for a while, then sold it.

The stock pickups and wiring are great, you can dial in a lot of different tones, negatives, I don't like the thin neck profile, they are all heavy for some reason, and I think the big pickguard with all those screws is butt ugly.

I see some for sale on CL occasionally, there is a sunburst one listed locally now for $695 which seems high to me, but there are not as many around as there used to be.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Same here. Kinda wish I had kept it, but oh well...

14. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I have had a few, but don't really have any interest in keeping one
    long-term, mainly due to the thin neck and the heavy weight.

There are other imports and even other Peaveys that I prefer.

USA Peavey stuff is well-made, so if you can live with the neck and
    the weight, you have got yourself a quality guitar.

KyAnne likes this.

15. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    I had a T60 in band class in middle school. Man, what a brick! I thought it was the dorkiest thing around.

When I gave up on band I drained my bank account buying an '81 Gibson 335-S Professional ("Not just any old guitar, a PROFESSIONAL guitar!"). Which was still a brick, but I was the only kid in school with a Gibson, so definitely a step up in my world.

The electronics were bleh at best, but that TP-6 tailpiece was fantastic. And it had to be: the frets were square and the neck was so thin that I did unintentional neck bends every time I played a barre chord. :)

(Pic isn't mine.)

IMG_3195.JPG

Greenmachine likes this.

16. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    My Mississippi Mustangs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The T15 and the T30 are both 23.5 inch scale guitars. Absolutely delightful to play.

P Thought, KyAnne, studio1087 and 2 others like this.

17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

My T-15. I traded a ZT Lunchbox amp for it. The owner lived in Brooklyn and needed an amp he could carry on the subway, I wanted a short-scale guitar. It's an oddball, but I think it's pretty cool.

[​IMG]

- D

KyAnne and studio1087 like this.

18. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    nice one!

i like those old 70's peavey and musicman guitars

theyre just real good gear!

KyAnne and StrangerNY like this.

19. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    I remember the pawn shops in Central Illinois were filled with these in the early 90's. When I bought my Ibanez Roadstar 2 from one (which I still have) I saw about 4 different ones. Which was the model that had the case with the amp built in? I wouldn't be surprised if they are still there, might have to check it out the next time I am in town. I thought they were the dorkiest things around.

20. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    There were several models that had the "amp-in-case", but a word to the wise: those amps are total crap.

And by total crap, I mean TOTAL CRAP. A Roland Mini Cube is vastly superior by any means of comparison.

Look here to see a very recent thread by a guy who just got one, spent some time cleaning it up, then used it.

StrangerNY and KellyCaster71 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.