Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Reactor or Nashville Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bettyfender, Oct 1, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    This is pretty compelling. The Reactor (with upgraded pickups) swept the floor with those others. It was immediately and noticeably a nicer tone when played. Definitely chords but also single note lines. I know those who can’t get past a headstock logo won’t bother to watch the video but wow, that was pretty telling. I didn’t expect that.

2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Apparently $250 in pickup upgrades in the Reactor in the video. A Barden bridge and a SD Antiquity neck. They definitely sound great, but a lot to put into an inexpensive guitar.

3. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Is it?

To me it doesn’t seem like that pricey and upgrade when your cheap road warrior guitar with the fancy pickups just swept the floor with the two collectable guitars. That was shocking. I mean, which guitar are you going to take out to play at your next gig, the $10,000 collectors item or the $400 hot rodded Peavey Reactor that sounds better?

That video is kind of a great advertisement for Barden and SD but I’m sure any of the usual suspect pickup winders would be just as fine an upgrade too. Rob at Cavalier could certainly wind up a comparable set of pickups.

It’s a good thing I don’t have room for another Telecaster.

Zaxxon likes this.

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My first electric was a sunburst and rosewood Reactor AX. I liked it becsbec it was my first electric.
    I eventually sold it.
    I now own two American tele's.

Buy the Fender.
    Never look back.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    True, but the Reactor the OP is considering has $200 Lindy Fralins.

awasson likes this.

6. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe it takes two to tango!

My Reactor AX.
    [​IMG]

My Telecaster.
    [​IMG]

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Always sketchy to assume the pickups are fully intact and not hurt in some way - or faked. Unless you really know the buddy you're buying from. I think that's why we're so likely to have to accept less when a stock guitar has been changed around a lot.

8. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Fralins brand new in a box, uninstalled. Factory pickups are installed in the guitar.

Like the OP said, it’s a $75 Guitar that comes with a set of $275 pickups. Canadian dollars tend to ballon the prices of things like pickups. I tend to look at it as a $150 Guitar with a new set of Fralins for $200.

9. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'd buy the Fender. I've been down the road of cheap guitars. Definitely buy the better guitar IMO.

boris bubbanov likes this.

10. boris bubbanov

+1

Let someone else score those Fralins then. The next guy might have a guitar that needs new pups, and he could use them. The O.P. needs a player.

11. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver

You didn’t watch the video did you?

12. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    That vid seems dodgy... $5k '61 Telecasters don't have holes in the headstock to adjust the truss rod. Just saying.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Or every way, I have to say this would be MyOpinion.

The PV is for leaving out in the shop or garage with some junker amp for saving a trip inside or touching good axes with dirty hands etc. [IMO]

JayFreddy likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

I have some of those pickups.

My point is, sure you can make a crummy guitar sound extraordinary - but crummy guitars can be miserable to play even if they sound nice.

Btw, is the guy going to get the actual guitar in the video if he buys?

15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have two Reactors, a regular one, and an AX from the early '90s. I had a regular MIM tele until I played one of these. The neck on each is simply wonderful for me. Feels slimmer front-to-back, and wider. Much better than any Tele neck. For me. And the AX pickups are pretty good. They also have four-conductor wiring hidden away under the bridge plate and pickguard, so it was a simple matter to wire them up for coil-tapping with the addition of a switch. I think Peavey has made some great guitars which are vastly underappreciated, mostly due to the label on the headstock.

But that's just me. As an earlier response said, get the one you think plays and sounds the best.

2 Headed Goat, awasson and Zaxxon like this.

16. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s why cork sniffing aside and I’m as guilty as the next guy with regard to logo worship but all that aside, I would want to check out the Reactor and see how it felt before I made a decision. If it feels good, why wouldn’t I buy it. It’s a Telecaster, it’s a shovel. There’s not a lot of intricate parts involved in one of these guitars. If the neck feels good and the guitar is solid, I can make it sound as good as any genuine Telecaster and then some.

2 Headed Goat likes this.

17. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I did watch the video. I shared my opinion. OP is not looking to buy the guitar in the video. My opinion is still the same.

18. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wow! That’s some really talented playing there.

Now that was great and all but can you imagine how much better it would have sounded with a slightly more rounded headstock and a Fender logo :rolleyes:

19. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Peavey and Fender both have their respective cult followings.

You can appreciate guitars from either brand without belonging to a cult.

It's hard to see that from this thread, but it's true.

Kool Ade not required.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.