Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Reactor or Nashville Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bettyfender, Oct 1, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I don’t know... That reactor seems priced high considering the Predator sells all day long for $150. I know the one your looking at. It’s on CL out in Langley or somewhere thereabouts. I think you’re going to have to play both and make up your mind from there. It’s isn’t fair but the Fender name tends to hold value where other well built instruments with less brand dominance fall by the wayside.

2. Bettyfender

Bettyfender TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada

I know what you mean I was looking at it more like it's a $280 set of pickup canadian before shipping from the usa and a $70 dollar guitar to put them in lol. But then I need another few bucks to have them installed as the fralins are still in the box and while its apart 4 way switch and all new pots and wiring really not much peavey left more rocking partscaster but at the end of the day gon run close to the same money. That is the same guitar o craigslist langley.

On the other hand I know and trust the guy with the nashville and it would be a nice guitar the way it is for now.

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The only part of the Reactor that is made in the USA is the neck. A former Peavey employee talks about assembling the necks to the imported bodies, fresh from their cardboard boxes marked ROC/Taiwan. Look for the posts by "no name Jonny". I have a 94 Reactor and I believe him. Peavey clearly knew they weren't quite kosher by marking them "Crafted in the USA", which doesn't necessarily mean made in USA.

https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30157

4. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s a good way to look at the Peavey. $70 guitar and the rest is the value of the pickups. It’s a hard decision if your thinking strictly about a playing guitar. I think for me it would come down to trying each one out and deciding which feels and sound so the best.

5. Bettyfender

Bettyfender TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada

I think so too

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    If that's not your answer right there, we have different priorities.

Yes, the Twang King is a better pickup.

But the Tex Mex Tele pickups sound fine to my ears. Much improved over standard ceramic MIM pickups.

$455 used is a fair price. Not a bargain, but fair. Then again, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I like the older Nashvilles. Many of my friends who play them do too, even people who normally prefer American Fenders.

The question is really, "should I buy a perfectly good Fender Telecaster that I can go get locally or should I gamble buying a used budget guitar online that might be OK, but that I will probably need to spend money upgrading?"

As much as I love my Peaveys, that Reactor will never be in the same league as the Fender Deluxe Nashville.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn't mean you want to kiss it!

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    boris bubbanov and Evil Funk like this.

7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    I'd say definitely play them both and then decide. FWIW, Peavey Reactors generally have very nice neck profiles. Best of Luck!

Dennyf likes this.

8. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    I'd never even consider the Peavey as an option, and i have owned several of them. They are okay guitars designed for those who want to save a few bucks.

Or... you could buy a guitar that has earned its legendary status.

If "saving a few dollars" is a high priority in selecting an instrument that will make you happy, then playing guitar may not be a good choice of hobbies.

Because it can get pretty costly.

what's that old saying? "The cheap man pays twice."

JL_LI and JayFreddy like this.

9. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey @Bettyfender, let us know what you decide to do and post some photos of your new acquisition. I played Gibson type guitars for ages and then got a Telecaster type guitar and it opened a whole new world of guitar tones.

10. Bettyfender

Bettyfender TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks for all the advice! Lots of wise words. I will post some pictures once I make a decision. I'm pretty sure it will be the Nashville

awasson likes this.

11. Poorman512

Poorman512 TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Austin,TX
    Reactor owner here. I think they are good guitars when modded (tuners and electronics). I've never had a mexican tele, but my reactor is easily in the same class as the Mexican strats I have had. That said I would probably go with the fender. Peavey resale value is shaky but the fender will always hold value.

Evil Funk likes this.

12. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    You know, the more I look at it and ignore Fender branding, the more I consider the Peavey. I mean really, it’s a plank guitar and what makes or breaks it is neck, electronics and setup. My noname partscaster sweeps the floor with many store bought guitars and that’s because it’s a simple but well appointed guitar.

I’ve looked at the ad on Craig’s List to see what all the fuss is about. It’s a completely stock Peavey Reactor that looks like it’s in pretty good condition. The control plate has been reversed so the switch is below the bridge but aside from that the owner claims it’s all stock. It comes with a set of unused frailin pickups, brand new in a box. If I didn’t have my T-type partscaster, it would be the way I would go. I’d replace the tuners, pop in the pickups, level/crown the frets and off I would go. At $350 Canadian, it’s about 2/3 of the price of what I’ve got into my partscaster.

Don’t get me wrong, I like seeing the spaghetti Fender logos on my Strats. They sure are pretty but I never think twice about my Telecaster that is completely unbranded, especially once it’s plugged in and sounding oh, so good. Faced with this choice, it would come down to sitting with each guitar and my impression of the weight and feel and how it appealed to me visually.

Full disclosure: I very nearly bought a hot rodded Reactor that had been routed with a Strat tremolo and a bunch of other upgrades about 4 years ago. It was a beast and I kind of wish I had picked it up.

jvin248 likes this.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Check the two neck profiles.

I find the Deluxe Nashville to be one of the thinnest necks I can say I really like. Not to say it is thin, but that any thinner and I'm not happy.

I'm not a fan of the neck profile on at least any Reactor I have played.

Evil Funk likes this.

14. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2012
    pennsylvania
    those old reactors ain't nothing to snooze on, they play and for the short money they are a lot of guitar

2 Headed Goat likes this.

15. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The OP may find this video interesting...

awasson likes this.

16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Sorry to say but thay Peavey is cut like crap, looks weirdly retarded. Go For Fender

nicod98 likes this.

17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I stopped the movie as soon as I heard the Peavey. I wouldn't buy it. But we all have our own taste.

18. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey @Bettyfender, I forgot to mention earlier. Regardless of which one you choose, if you need any setup or wiring work, check out Nicole Alosiniac Luthier in Vancouver. Nicole does great work and she’s honest to a fault. I can’t say enough good things about her.

19. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    The Peavey will be impossible to resell. The NV will be in demand. Other than that , whatever slops your dripper....

Evil Funk likes this.

20. Bettyfender

Bettyfender TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada
    Very interesting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.