Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Reactor or Nashville Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bettyfender, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Bettyfender

Bettyfender TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada
    I know it's a wierd question. I currently have the opportunity to buy either a 94 peavey reactor usa made, in excellent condition in black with a set of new lindy fralin blues specials to be installed for 350 Canadian so roughly 225 usd.

Or a brand new never played older nashville deluxe in honey blonde with the tex mex pickups for 700 cdn roughly 455.00 usd.

What would you do?

2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    The better playing/sounding one.

robt57 likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Nashville, only because it would be easier to resell.

How heavy is the Peavey? Their guitars have a reputation for out-weighing boat anchors.

Dennyf, Evil Funk and nojazzhere like this.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Get the price of that used MIM Deluxe Nashville down to an even $ 400 USA equivalent.

I wouldn't buy that Peavey under any circumstances. That brand is basically Persona Non Grata with too many folks.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have/ have had both. If you get a chance to play the Peavey, do that just for comparison.

I still have the Peavey Reactor, it's a '96. I bought it something like 11 years ago ($175, USA made); it was a 3-kids-in -university budget decision. It was CAR/maple fretboard & neck. For a dark period, it was the only electric I had.
    Peavey reactor.jpg
    Yes, that's a wooden lizard that my step-daughter/bonus daughter brought back from Costa Rica. I used to be in a band called the Big Lizard Band...

Very playable neck. Pickups are ok, tuners crappy. Replaced tuners. 2 years ago, painted it the colors of the Colorado State Flag. Still have it and use it Nashville strung. Does some interesting things. Also, hardware pretty crappy, but still functioning. had to monkey with the input jack once, but no big deal. Here's the pickup selector switch:

June 2017 download 294.JPG

Nice...or not.

the Nashville MIM I had I liked, but just never did much for me. I agree with those that say this will be a more marketable guitar should you decide to sell. As it turns out, I didn't use the middle strat pickup much, but certainly there is a versatility there that is appealing. I had both for awhile, and didn't notice a huge difference between the necks - as best I remember, both 12.5" radius.

My Nashville MIM was supposed to be CAR, but it was that darker, almost maroon version...
    new tele photo the orig NASH de CAR.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Tex Mex pickups, but the Fralins in your Peavey prospect might be pretty nice as well - and may provide a little insurance on the sale. Other than those pickups, the Peavey might be a little overpriced - might not be.

If you are not a frequent buyer/seller, then you should at least play both and see what's what. But overall quality, probably would say the MIM Nashville, all things considered.

Good luck!

JayFreddy likes this.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    don't know a thing about the Peavey. and if you're buying to flip it, I'm out of my league. But I've had a couple of the Nashville teles -- I think I still own one, though it's in Holland -- and for an everyday player it's a fine guitar. Stays in tune, comfortable neck, and the pickups are surprisingly good to my ear. I modded mine with a USA bridge and 3 brass saddles and I would do this again in a minute if I bought another.

7. Bettyfender

Bettyfender TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to try the nashville tonight.

boris bubbanov and JayFreddy like this.

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I've owned both and I'd take the Fender.

The Reactor is comparable to a Bullet Squire, probably a bit better than that, but not quite at the level of an Affinity.

The Nashville is an Deluxe MIM, better than a standard MIM, and it was priced similarly to a Baja when it was new.

The Reactor AX is Peavey's deluxe model, and while the AX is more along the lines of a standard MIM, the Nashville is still a superior guitar in almost every way.

The US built Peavey Generations (S1, S2, S3, etc) are a different story altogether. Those are comparable to Fender Custom Shop stuff, but can still be found at MIM prices.

The fact that Peavey had a very high quality line of Telecaster type guitars sometimes inflates the perceived value of their low end Tele types...

Conversely, Peavey also slapped the Generation name on a bunch of budget Chinese imports about 10 years ago, and that has helped keep prices down on their earlier high quality stuff.

That said, I do have a collection of USA Peavey Generations. I think I have some pics in my profile.

I've also owned a few Reactors over the years, and a Reactor AX as well. Those are all gone.

I still own two of the MIM Deluxe Nashvilles, as well as a partscaster which has the neck and body from a 2005 Nashville.

I went through a phase where I enjoyed fixing up beater guitars, but those days are gone. Life is too short to play crappy guitars unless you have to.

I still like my Nashvilles.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    teletimetx likes this.

9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I wonder in a parallel universe is there a person on the PV Reactor page asking the same question?

Gary

Zaxxon likes this.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    The Reactor AX would be my choice but only with the stock pickups, which were amazing.

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Is a Nashville with TexMex pickups worth twice as much as a Peavey Reactor with Fralins?

Fralins are a highly respected boutique pickup, TexMex are a 'Fender's low budget replacement pickups.

Buying the Peavey leaves you $230 to upgrade the guitar.

12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That reputation is "deserved" only by the early production T-60 guitars and T-40 basses in the Natural finish; the bodies of those instruments are Northern Ash, which does -- in general -- tend to run heavier than comparably sized pieces of Alder and Southern (i.e., "swamp") Ash; take note, though, that the guitars in question are no more a "boat anchor" than yer average, everyday Les Paul Custom of any era.

13. tele12

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Almost all guitars built in the 70s can be said to have a reputation for being "boat anchors". Back then there extra weight was preferred by young guitarists who were in good shape, now as these same guitarists age they want lighter guitars.

14. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Vermont

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Those Tex Mexes get a lot of disrespect, by those who speak but not by those who have discovered that they really haul the freight. Put a base plate on the bridge pickup and stop thinking about what they cost, I say.

If I had the Peavey with Fralins, I'd pull the Fralins out, put something anything in the Peavey and just dump it. Then, we find out if the Fralins are intact or if Lindy would have to rewind them or something.

16. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I don't know anything about the Peavey, but I've owned a couple of Nashville Deluxe Teles in the past and thought they were great guitars. Honey Blonde with a rosewood fretboard looks great.

boris bubbanov likes this.

17. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I have a Nashville and disliked the Tex Mex pickups.

The middle one is still in there, but I have a Lollar Special T in the bridge and a DiMarzio Twang King in the neck. The Middle switch position was changed to give me neck/bridge, like a proper Tele.

18. tele12

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Tex Mexes are not my favorite. I wouldn't say I "disrespect " them, but I would say I'm not impressed by them.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    boris bubbanov likes this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Are you buying the guitar to play or to re-sell? That is where most of the arguments are hinging on. A used Peavey will be worth about the same months from now, the 'new' Fender will go down to used price value.

See if you can get the Peavey shop owner to open the control plate and give you pictures of the pots/caps/switch. I suspect that if someone put in the fancy pickups they also rewired the controls. If not then point that out and get the priced dropped for the $20-$30 of frugal shopping you can get all top line pots/caps/switch/jack brands. Keep existing tuners for now and sometime replace them if you find they are a nuisance.

When you upgrade the switch, go for the 4-way and you'll have series humbucker tones to work with. That's pretty versatile. Might make up for the Strat-like Nashville operation having a stealth Les Paul at your command.

I have one of the similar US-made Peavey Strats from that era of Tele you are looking at. Tuners are trapezoid but I practice good 'tuning up' my guitar and not a problem. Neck feels like MIM/MIA necks.

Those pickups are nice ones.

So my vote is go with the Peavey and save a lot of cash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.