Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Peavey Classic 30 Redesign?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FenderGuy53, Jan 28, 2013.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I can find no mention of the redesign coming out of NAMM 2013, but it IS a redesign. On-line retailers are now taking pre-orders and the new design units are expected to ship on 02-11.

2. FMA

FMA Friend of Leo's

Apr 29, 2003
  3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
  6. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    Because for years people have been complaining, not understanding Peavey"s non standby switching?

7. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    According to Peavey's web-site, you'll now need two (2) footswitches:

Part 03054360 required for: Normal/Lead channel switching and Boost on/off

Part 03051000 required for: Reverb on/off

This sucks! :mad:

8. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    The "boost" is and always has been a "suck" button. I've never once had a desire to switch it on, so putting it on a footswitch would be pointless for me.

A standby switch is nice, but way less crucial than people make it out to be. Just turn down the volume to zero if you want to take a beer break. Done.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my old beat-up USA-made C-30. :)

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Amps bearing the "Classic 30" monniker have change fifty times over the years.

The original Classic 30 had a phaser or a chorus or sumthin' built in.

10. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    News Flash! Sweetwater is referring to the new Peavey Classic 30 as:

Peavey Classic 30 II

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    No 6L6 amps in the Classic line that I'm aware of, but Peavey does make amps w/ 6L6s. Namely, the ValveKing series. And the Windsor Studio comes with EL34s but can take various tubes, including 6L6s.

12. vanr

vanr Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2003
    AZ
    There were some "Classic" 6L6 amps back in the 80's. Hybrid design with a 6L6 power amp and transistor preamp. My friend has one.

13. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    After speaking with Peavey, I got much more detail regarding the C30 changes.

Peavey Classic 30 Redesign:
    • no changes to amp circuit (translation: same voicing)
    • no more 3-sided circuit boards
    • very low microphonics and superior PCB treatment
    • no more noisy tube clips
    • metal cap over V1 tube
    • easier access to change tubes via smaller tubeguard
    • external access to mains fuse
    • vastly improved hand-wound transformer designs
    • universal power transformer setup, via internal series/parallel connections
    • IEC AC plug
    • foot-switchable boost
    • standby switch
    • silent switching
    • vintage-style pilot light
    • more subtle curve on the head piece
    Footnote: The control panel is still chrome

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    It does look better, but I just think they had SUCH a good thing going with the old desgn that the new "bet buckle" logo (and the inability to remove it) kinda bugs me (cause I don't care for the logo AT ALL). The good news is that the amps are amazing, but I' glad I have an old one sans the "shred logo". I don't think I'm alone in this cause EVERY old version seems to have the same treatment I did to mine, and they just look better that way IMO. I have a sneaking suspicion that this turn a LOT of people off to the point where they don't even try them amps out (same thing with a few other companies along with the way certain amps get percieved as fitting in a very narrow category regardless of how they actually perform - Carvin and a few others come to mind). It's a bummer cause the Classic amps are pretty tough to beat on a dollars to performance spectrum.

Made in the USA, quality parts and bomb-proof construction, drool-worthy OD tones with no OD pedal needed and a clean channel that's only slightly less "chimey" then a Fender (most likely due to the EL84 -vs- 6v6 Tube array)... and all for less money then some SS amps (not saying SS should be inherently cheap but there's a lot more to drive the price up in a tube amp unless there's a bunch of on-board processors/effects built in).

15. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    Wow so it's not just cosmetic... Interesting, I wonder how they SOUND compared to the old ones, if the internal changes do anything to the overall tone of the amp. The boost function sounds great...wish I had that on my C50 cause it'd be nice to get some clean boostn for those times when you want a clean tone that's louder then the baseline clean channel but you don't want to go all the way into the "lead" channel.

I don't see any YT demo's yet, and I'd really like to hear them A/B'd next ot the old versions (AFIK there is no difference between the old versions and the now "middle" versions).

16. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Forget all the changes and throw in a better speaker and a footswitch. Now that would be an improvment, really there was nothing wrong with the original design.

Mine is still going strong since 1993.

17. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Peavey says that there is no change to the tone.

You won't see YouTube vids for awhile. These new boxes won't hit the retailers until mid-February, but here's a treat from Sweetwater:

Classic 30 Redesign Demo

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  18. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon

Ooh, cool, thanks for the link... I'm really interested in the "switchable boost" function... Seems like a very worthwhile addition aye.

19. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i noticed they made a classic 20 at one time. anyone remember why they discontinued it? did the 30 replace it.
    chris.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Those are nice changes, I always wondered why that boost wasn't foot switchable... wonder what the price will be?

21. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Yes, the new Classic 30 sounds great in the video!

The BOOST feature was always there, but it didn't really boost the signal, and the BOOST wasn't remotely switchable (you had to push the button).

Now, the BOOST button actually does boost the signal - and it's remotely switchable, via the 2-button footswitch!

Take a listen, starting at the 3:00 mark on the video, to hear the new BOOST function in action. The new BOOST is VERY nice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.