Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Super Champ x2

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaTelePlayer, May 14, 2018.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I had a friend who had the Traynor, and as CK said, it was more Marshally than Fendery. But, the same could be said about the OD channel on the PV. They're both very good sounding amps. Once again, see if he can try them both to see which one he likes best.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I'll bite...

The current "sound" gap between tube and non-tube amps has become a non-issue. The current offering in the solid state, analog amp realm is, quite frankly - amazing!

A tube amp has to be "pushed" to overdrive naturally (translation: LOUD); then there's the weight, and the recurring costs (and vulnerability) of tubes.

Today's solid state, analog options are less expensive, scalable (in terms of volume), lighter and have no recurring costs or vulnerabilities.

Check out the Peavey's, Roland Blues Cube's, Orange's to name a few...

I think you, and your son, would be pleasantly surprised.

Goid luck!

markal likes this.
  3. rmendozajr

rmendozajr TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Texas
    I’ll add my 2 cents...I enjoyed all three of those mentioned. In my experience the Peavey can get dirty quicker and has a sponginess to the attack which I always chalked up to the el84 tubes. The Traynor is 6l6 driven so stays cleaner for longer and it has the benefit of a really nice overdrive channel. It sounds good at low and high volumes in my opinion.

I had a similar option many moons ago and went the way of Traynor and then I dropped a Texas Heat speaker in it because the Stock celestion 70 80 really held it back. They’re very well built with a thicker pcb for repair and maintenance.

I would however see if you can try talking the seller down price wise. I’ve bought both a ycv40 and ycv80 at fairly low prices.

4. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    An Orange Crush 35rt would be a good SS choice. Sounds great, and has surprising volume for jamming and gigging. Only $259 US new. The Blues Cubes are more expensive (and partially digital, that’s not a knock, I have one and I LOVE it). A used Peavey Studio Pro or Envoy would also be a great choice.

The Peavey Classic is a decent tube amp. I had one briefly and liked the tone (had wicked rattling noises out of the box so I returned it). If I found a deal I’d try one again.

5. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I have a studio pro and 3 tube amps.. 5e3,VC,Princeton NV.....SS sounds great but just does not breathe like tubes....IMHO

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    The C30 will twang fine with an EQ pedal in the FX loops. You'll get tones you didn't know it could do. That being said, for strictly home use, I'd go with the SC.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Those Peavey amps are good solid amps. I had the delta blues 15 version of the 30 watt el84. It had a very usable clean and some nice mid punch on gain. It has the pre and post settings that can dial in a whole lot of sounds.

8. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    I had a Classic 30 that I loved, until I got to single coil guitars. Then it seemed overly bright (to me), and I sold for other things. I guess I could have modded it, but...I fell in love with other stuff, so it went to another owner.

I think that in general, the fender 6v6 amps have sounds that are more tele (and strat) friendly than the el-84 C30. But that is my ears and tastes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.