Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Super Champ x2

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertaTelePlayer, May 14, 2018.

1. AlbertaTelePlayer

AlbertaTelePlayer TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    I have an amp question. I have opportunity to buy a fender SCX2 for $250 Cdn or a Peavey Classic 30 for $350 Cdn. Both are in great shape. Peavey comes with footswitch, Fender doesn’t. I will be getting the s for my 17 year old son who is a Tele player, who is looking to get into a tube amp. He plays mostly country music, with some pop and classic rock. He really loves that Tele twang tone. He is not using any pedals other than a compressor. Does anyone have any experience with these amps avd can make a recommendation of which one I should get?

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    The S2 will give you more Twang.

It's got a 6V6 in the power section, and that's a big part of its sound.

I love the C30 too, but it's a different sound, more of a "brown sound" when you open it up.

I own both amps. When I'm at home more likely to use the S2. If I'm playing with a band, the C30.

The C30 has twice the power and a bigger speaker.

The foot switch does not come with the S2 from the factory, but for bedroom practice and recording you don't really need it.

Last edited: May 14, 2018

3. AlbertaTelePlayer

Apr 26, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks. He is not gigging yet, and that will likely be a while away. He will be mostly playing at home, with occasional playing with a few friends. I like the idea of the SCX2 being lower watts, it may be better for at home. Would the Classic 30 be too much for at home?

4. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I don't think so, but for your purposes I think the S2 is the better choice.

The C30 doesn't Twang, the S2 does.

Also, the el84 tubes in the C30 are relatively short-lived.

Do you know if the C30 is one of the newer ones with the tube guard installed at the factory?

One of mine came with it, the other one I had to install myself.

If it doesn't have the tube guard then that means it's at least 10 years old and will probably need new power tubes as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the C30. But for your son, the S2 is probably closer to what he wants, it's less money, and it uses fewer tubes as well, so lower long run costs of ownership.

5. AlbertaTelePlayer

Apr 26, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    good points. Thanks. I will call the guy to see if the SCX2 is still available.

JayFreddy likes this.

6. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    See if you can get the SCX2 for $200. On sale, you can get them new for $299 fairly regularly.

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have to disagree. The SC is a modeling preamp (basically a Mustang) with a tube power amp. The PV is all tube, has a much better speaker, and a great sounding clean channel. The clean channel with your favorite OD pedal, coupled with the lead channel will give you clean, and two flavors of dirt. And it sounds better than the SC at low volume IMO.
    You should have him try both to see which one he likes more.

hrstrat57 and bo like this.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    A friend of mine bought the Classic 30. Sounds great when it's working.
    He goes into an amp repair place in San Antonio, says Classic 30 and the guy throws a resistor on the counter. Apparently a common problem.
    I've helped him resolder those tiny little jumpers that connect the three circuit boards several times.

My SCX2 fires up every time.

9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have a friend who gigs a ES150 thru a Classic 30, the first time I heard it I could not see it and assumed it was a much more expensive amp. The SC is a neat little amp and could be giged in some situations (miked) but the C-30 is going to cover much more ground, it may save you from buying a second amp when a band forms..

10. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I had a C30....90s..... Never had a problem.. Gigged it for many years...

11. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Totally different amps aimed at different demographics. I've been through 4 of the SC amps and haven't gelled with any of them but I love a Classic 30.

Hiker and JayFreddy like this.

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I don't know about Canadian prices, but in the USA a Classic 30 is $600 new, an X2 $300 new.
    Unless the X2 seller is really flexible on price I wouldn't even consider it.
    When your son starts jamming with a drummer the X2 might not be enough, the C30 will work great.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    New, the X2 is $300 for the head. The combo is up to $400.

BTW: At this point, don't overthink it. Have him try both and just buy one. Doesn't matter which, as long as they're working right. By the time he starts gigging, he'll rethink everything anyway.

JayFreddy likes this.

14. AlbertaTelePlayer

Apr 26, 2018
    Alberta, Canada
    OK. The Super Champ sold before we could try it. It was a good deal, should have known it would sell. So now its looking more like Peavey Classic 30. Lots of good comments on it. Another amp that has popped up is the Traynor YCV 40. It is $125 more than Peavey. Anyone have any thoughts on that one compared to Peavey Classic 30? Keeping in mind that my son likes country and is looking for a good country tone.

15. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Seems a little steep, should roughly be about the same price, perhaps $25or 50 more for the Traynor..

I guess I would take into consideration two or three things

Is the Traynor easier to get serviced being a Canadian product?

Is the sound of the 6L6 power section more to your liking (the wattage difference is probably insigifigant) depending on how the Traynor is voiced the 6L6's may give you a bit more of a "Fender" sound, although I suspect it leans a bit to the Marshall side of things and there is probably a wider variety of NOS vintage glass that could be used although a good matched pair of US made 6L6's from a reputable source can be expensive, but you would have the option.

The Traynor is also two separate channels, if you are going to use the built in OD this can make it a bit easier to dial things in as you are not sharing the EQ. Might also be a bit lighter with the plywood cab, (the PV is mostly MDF) and some folks feel there is a sonic bonus there..

Old thread..but perhaps usefulhttp://www.tdpri.com/threads/traynor-ycv40-wr-vs-peavey-classic-30.163183/

Last edited: May 15, 2018

16. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I can recommend a Super Champ X2 because I have one. I've played country all my life and the clean channel gives me some great tones. It is a really versatile amp that is plenty loud for 15w. The warmer it gets, the better it sounds. I've had mine for close to a year and still haven't scratched the surface of possibilities with it. I really like it. $250 is a good deal. That's tough to beat.

Can't comment on the Peavey, but have always liked their products and would like to try out the classic 30.

17. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Apr 22, 2011
    Virginia
    SCX2 is more versatile, having the modeled amps. Peavy will likely be louder and is all tube. I have one from '96 that sounds fantastic. I have had many compliments about its sound when I've gigged, as has a friend who's borrowed it. The Classic 30 is a great sounding, all tube amp.

18. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Too bad your not near me. I have a barely used scx2 combo for sale with your choice of speaker. Stock or Jensen MOD 10/50 or Celestion 10/30 for $200 US

19. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Very different tone. The C30/EL84's have a sizzle on the top end and are very punchy in the mids.
    The 6V6's in the SC are more Fendery, no sizzle... but plenty of high if you tweek it on the tone.
    The SC XD I had had a bit of a "Bacon Frying" note fade which I hated. I never did figure out if it was an issue or nature of the beast. Tubes or speakers didnt change it and I was unwilling to get into too much work as I had plenty of amps similar wattage.

20. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Those are good prices at least in many areas.
    350 CDN = $272 USD
    250 CDN = $195 USD
    Has your son tried both of these? I wouldn't worry myself on power output.
    Both have the capability to be "TOO LOUD" for home use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.