Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Classic 30 Head

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by consumnfire1229, Oct 4, 2017.

1. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2013
    VIRGINIA
    My Classic 30 has a nice warm clean tone, but when I kick in the drive channel, she sounds sick. What’s the likely culprit?

I’m using a 2x10 cabinet. Speakers are eminence egtr 8 ohm wired in series for 16 ohm resistence.

2. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Maybe new tubes. If it only does it on the dirty channel. Explain the sound more. Does it get quieter? Sputtery sounding?

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Most people who use these don't use the drive channel. Like the Fender equivalent amps it's not generally held to be that nice. Pedals fix that.

4. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Tubes. I have the combo but I had the 30, 50 and 100 watt heads. I love the drive channel. Must be bad tubes because that channel is usually sick in a good way.

5. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    Ignore the drive channel and use a nice od pedal.

6. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    Pedals are a great tool, but if an amp doesn't have a good natural od tone then I would get a different amp.
    Why own a tube amp if it doesn't have a sweet tube overdrive tone? Isn't that what overdrive pedals are designed to replicate?
    I can understand using them for a different tone or type of response.
    The amp should be able to get the job done on it's own, but that's just like my opinion man.

7. consumnfire1229

Jun 2, 2013
    VIRGINIA
    I would describe it as a speaker on its way out. At first I thought maybe the speakers couldn’t handle the drive, but even at very low volume it’s still “sputtery”. Plus, as previously stated, it handles the clean tone nicely.

8. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I never use the drive channel ... it is horrible. The clean channel sounds good .... drive channel not so much. It is the way the amp is designed.

9. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    ...But you can crank the volume on the clean channel with no problems?

10. consumnfire1229

Jun 2, 2013
    VIRGINIA
    Yes, so I believe the problem is related to the drive channel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.