Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

peavey Bravo Reverb on 10 making 1 output tube red plate.why?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Stevi q, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Stevi q

Stevi q Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    bayshore,Long Island,new york
    I was jamming and decided to put the reverb up to ten for the first time ever .I had the chassis out of the cabinet so I could see one el84 starting to red plate,I shut off reverb ,volume etc...then power .real quick too..
    Let tubes cool off,then restarted it up.I was jamming on the gain Chanell with reverb on 3 for a good twenty minutes ,at pretty high volume.Everything runs just fine again.Has anyone ever seen this or had this is fixed.I love this amp and I want it to run properly.Any advice will be greatly appreciated .Thank you very much.

savofenno likes this.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Redplating is always a bad sign. Do whatever you did to make it redplate. Once you see the tube redplating shut the amp off and let it cool. Swap the EL84s, and do it again. Does the same tube redplate, or is the redplating associated with one particular socket?

If the redplating follows the tube, treat yourself to a pair of new tubes. If the socket is the common factor, it's time to take it to a technician that knows this amp. A bad tube can redplate, but it's much more common for redplating to be caused by bias problems.

A funky tube socket connection can be a source of bias problems, and thus redplating. If swapping the tubes around seems to have fixed the problem, clean and retension your tube sockets.

Veltek and InAbsentia like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.