Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Bravo reverb issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by seekir, Aug 17, 2012.

1. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2007
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I posted this in the Peavey amp club forum, but thought I'd put it here too in hopes that someone with the technical expertise might respond.

I bought a Bravo new in the early nineties and loved it immediately, but I've had 2 experiences with it recently which seem to occur when the reverb is turned up all the way, I believe I was playing through the "clean" channel both times: an onset of strange volume/distortion changes followed by smoke and stinky burning plastic stench. Turning off the amp seems to restore it to normal after it's cooled off. I don't see any obvious evidence of burnt or melted parts on the amp's board.

Any electronics gurus with any ideas what's up? I don't imagine these episodes are too great for the amp, and I'd like to feel that I can use the reverb safely. The Bravo has dual EL84 power tubes and 3 12AX7's in the preamp. I understand the reverb pan circuit is transistor-based with an RC4558P op-amp involved somehow. I swapped the stock RC4558P for anRC4558D temporarily under the impression someone gave me that this would improve the tone of the amp and give me more headroom. I couldn't hear any change. I believe I was told the op-amp was involved in the "ultra" gain pull-switch activated circuit, but now I'm under the impression it's actually part of the reverb. For what it's worth the RC4558 is part of the Tube Screamer pedal's circuitry too. Can't remember if this swap preceded the problems, I've put the stock RC4558P back in, but haven't had time yet to see if the problem will recur with the original op-amp back in there.

2. Stevi q

Stevi q Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    bayshore,Long Island,new york
    Hi ,I am having a similiar problem with my bravo.I have it out of the cab hooked up to the 8ohm out to the speaker,and I was playing some guitar with reverb on 3 I decided to turn up the reverb all the way ,which I never ever do.I noticed that one el84 was red plating and getting hot quick .So I shut off the reverb and volume etc ,and turned it off too.So I then turned on the amp and used it with out reverb and I was jamming for twenty or so minutes on the gain channel and it was loud.I didn't have any red plating anymore.I even put the reverb on 3 again ,and no problem.Did you ever figure out what was causing your amp to do what I think was what my amp is doing right now, red plating on one tube.I am gonna change those Rca jacks for the tank for better ones that are shielded.any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you .

3. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2007
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Stevi, wow, this is a really old "zombie" thread. The issue I experienced happened, as I recall, when I was playing some surf stuff, probably Pipeline with the reverb maxed out and volume pretty high. I realized sometime later that these settings probably really stress the heat-sensitive parts of the amp because the basic signal of the guitar is compounded or multiplied by the reverb's added cascade of repeating sound/signal. I've never maxed the reverb and simultaneously cranked the guitar/amp volume this way since, and also never had a repeat of the apparent overheat and alarming smoke that resulted when I did it on that one occasion. The amp was apparently not permanently damaged by the event, I still play it regularly. I guess it may be prudent not to max the 'verb and play the Bravo really loud for any length of time (or at all). As you know, the Bravo's tubes are confined horizontally in a rather tight space at the back of the chassis which is fan-cooled. I'm not sure if other amps might stand up to this treatment better and produce the sort of surf-appropriate tone I was going for without overheating.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Doesn't it make you wonder why Peavey would even allow you to turn the reverb up all the way if it can cause a potential fire ? If this was a car, they'd be recalling that model to have them brought back to the dealer. I've never heard of this happening before on a Peavey amp, and surprisingly to a 90's model.
    Zombie thread or not, this is important for Bravo owners to know.

5. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2007
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Well, there is probably a reason that yours has been the only reply to my thread and question in 5 years—this doesn't seem to have been a common issue. If you have much experience with tube amps you'll be aware that most run hot, and are pretty temperature sensitive. I suppose amps have caught fire, but mine merely smoked. I think amps generally die before they actually ignite. It's not a battery-powered phone or board type device. We don't know what exactly occurred in either of our amps, or if a bad tube could have been a factor in your event.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

6. Stevi q

Stevi q Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    Thank you very much for replying and giving me this information on your Bravo experience .

7. Stevi q

Stevi q Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    I am gonna dig for ther into this .If I found anything out I will post it.I changed out the tubes and and the same thing happens .The amp runs great,I just can't crank the reverb.

Jim Dep likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.