Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Bandit Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Daddydex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Zeph

Zeph NEW MEMBER!

Nov 16, 2017
    Illinois
    Just joined the forum to chime in.

I’ve got a Teal Stripe Bandit that I love. Bought it at a pawnshop for a steal.

I had struggled to find a OD that worked for me. Well I struck gold. I got the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop V2 and I love it. It adds just enough dirt to bring it out of super clean SS amp and into an amazing tube on the edge of break up. It responds so well to attack and when I set it pretty dirty it cleans up really nice with my volume knob. If anyone is curious about trying the Barbershop with a bandit I highly recommend it. It takes an already great amp to another level and it stacks well with other pedals to go into nice fuzz and distortion areas. Just seems like it was made for an amp like the bandit.

jwp2 likes this.

2. Newbandit

Newbandit TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Was just watching Dave Simpson on Youtube demo'ing a redstripe Bandit with some unusual settings. He was using the lead channel with the pre-gain around 3 - 4, bass at 2, mids at 0, treble at 0, presence cranked. So, I tried this on my redstripe (I suppose it would work on a silverstripe or teal stripe as well) and its a real smooth overdrive with a lot less buzziness than you typically get from SS distortion. Im going to try those settings tomorrow night at rehearsal and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Veltek, jwp2, BadBen and 2 others like this.

3. Newbandit

Newbandit TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Nevermind. It didn't work. Didn't cut through at all. The lead channel doesn't work for me. Going back to dirt pedals into the clean channel.

Veltek likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I think Peavey should make a compact "Outlaw Bandit" (the Bandit Bandit, lol) that is just the clean channel in a small box to take pedals well and feed a 1x12, 2x12, or 4x12 cabinet. Emphasize lightweight. I think they can sell a ton. Because that is what most players want to use the Bandit for, the clean channel.

However, did you try this

littlebadboy and JustABluesGuy like this.

5. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    Here is his brother!
    Peavey Bandit 112 Teal Stripe No 2 (2a).JPG

When I found it it was like that
    Peavey Bandit 112 Teal Stripe No 2 Stack Mod (1).JPG

This speaker was in and still is
    Peavey Bandit 112 Teal Stripe No 2 Eminence (1).JPG Peavey Bandit 112 Teal Stripe No 2 Eminence (4).JPG Peavey Bandit 112 Teal Stripe No 2 Eminence (2).JPG

I also have another Teal Stripe with the regular Scorpion.

6. Newbandit

Newbandit TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I saw that video before. Kinda a cool raunchy square wave breakup but, not really what I'm looking for. Besides, by the time I get to that breakup I'm way over my drummers volume.

7. Newbandit

Newbandit TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2017
    New Hampshire
    This guy blends some of that power output breakup with the lead channel to get a very Marshally tone. Again, this is way to much volume for anything I do.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I cut my teeth on 48 week club tours through Canada during the 80's with a Peavey Special 130 ... I eventually sold off my Special in the mid 90's and went down the tube amp rabbit hole. IMO... my sound was never as consistent and not necessarily any better than I had back then.

A couple days back I joined the BANDIT club... picking up a Silverstripe (black box) version, in very good condition. It needed a clean up, and a few pots lubricated - that's about it. For $100 (Canadian) I felt nostalgic and figured I'd give it a try.

The original speaker sounded good (Sheffield 1230) but a little thin for my liking so I swapped it out for a 4ohm Scorpion I had set aside. The Scorpion is the sound I was used to from the Special 130 and it thickened up the tone as I had hoped. The scorpion is 101db efficiency compared to the 97db Sheffield, and by putting in a 4 ohm the amp is now running at 100 watts instead of 80. I'm all about "clean headroom" so this is perfect for me, although it's certainly not for everyone.

I'll test run the amp at a gig Sunday evening ... a show I normally bring my SF Vibrolux to. If it withstands that tall order it will be $100 well spent.

Here it is... it did come with the logo, top/bottom metal strips and knob caps - but I think I like this "generic" look :)

bandit-front.jpg bandit-back.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    BIGD5 and LGOberean like this.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I noticed your other thread about this, and replied to it. Congrats again. That sure was a great score.

I'm all about clean headroom as well. I love Bandit cleans. And as for the sans logo and aluminum strips, that definitely accentuates the "black box" look.

codamedia likes this.

10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    I had a Special 150 with a Scorpion plus and it was a phenomenal amp. Very heavy though. Weren’t those Scorpion speakers great?! My first real amp was a Classic 65 with 2x12 Scorpions and that thing cranked!

codamedia likes this.

11. Tone Eee

Tone Eee TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    You guys inspired me when I was Googling up love for my "new"bandit a couple weeks ago.

Just finished a lil cosmetic work
    Behold: the Silverface Silver Stripe Bandit! 20180309_164320.jpg

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Definitely more silver stripe than black box now! :D

Tone Eee likes this.

13. 1stezekiel

1stezekiel TDPRI Member

May 8, 2018
    texas
    im in. i have a silver stripe bandit 112. early 90's model. still going strong. good amp.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    My 1987 Bandit 65 hanging out with his assistants...

[​IMG]

15. 123honus

123honus TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Texas
    Purchased a Bandit 65 yesterday for $120 and a 90 mile drive one way.....
    The reverb had a hum and after cleaning the contacts on both ends of the tank wires it has gone away.
    I have it on the lead channel with the volume knob on the guitar set to break up a little on full volume. Backed off on the guitar volume knob, or softer playing it sounds quite clean.
    It did not come with a foot pedal, but from what I can see so far, the lead channel will be all that is needed. Reverb never off.
    Yes, I am very pleased.
    Overall, the amp is in excellent condition. No dents or tears. just a little oxidation on the metal corners and top strips. Wiped it off with Pledge and it looks great.
    It is much better sounding at low volumes than I expected. It also has much more power than I can imagine using. What a tremendous value.

16. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I bought an Envoy 110 Transtube (cyclops) used a couple weeks back. I really had to tame some rattles in the cabinet but once I got things straightened out, I am thrilled with the amp!

Dan

17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    On those Bandit 65's, you only need to plug in a 1/4" dummy jack to the footswitch to access the clean channel and the Reverb will remain working. Even if you decide to stay on the lead channel moving forward, that gives you an easy method to test the clean.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.