Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Peavey Bandit Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Daddydex, Feb 4, 2010.

1. tube power

tube power TDPRI Member

Yet Another...

Teal...

[​IMG]

Traded a Transtube 258 efx and a molded Fender case.
    Good trade, I really like the lead channel on this.
    Better IMO than my 2 silver stripes lead channels.
    Long, ringing sustain, excellent smooth decay.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. tube power

tube power TDPRI Member

One thing I would love to see added to this fine summary would be
    the retail prices of these models when they were current.

3. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

According to Peavey the list price for the Bandit 65 in 1983 was $299.50, retail was probably half of that. I think I paid $150 for mine in 1985.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

I posted this on amp central station but I figured I should post it here in the club as well.

A little demo of my Peavey Solo series Bandit 65. I picked this up a few weeks ago and it was in rough shape. I had to clean years of tobacco tar and dirt of the exterior. I took the chassis out to clean the noisy potentiometers, I also replaced the five OP Amps in it as the old ones were very noisy and buzzing. The Scorpian speaker is in great shape for it's age and sounds great.These bandits are fantastic amps. Very tubelike in their sound and great Reverb. The guitar used is my modded CV 50's with a Mean 90 in the neck and a Harmonic Design S90 in the bridge and 4 way switch.

I had one of these in the 80's as my first nice amp, I foolishly traded it in on another amp. I regretted doing that for along time and I'm happy to have one again.

Special thanks to forum member Commodore 64 for being kind enough to send me the OP amps I needed to fix this amp. :grin:

6. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I think I paid around $350 for a apir of Bandit 65s around 1985. I tried equipping them wiith EV 12" speakers. I thought they sounded better with the stock Scorpions. The EVs were too clear, if that makes sense. I used the DOD RDS-908 digital delay in my rack to create the stereo split. It was a nice rig for the gig I had at the time.

7. axe dude

axe dude NEW MEMBER!

Bandit's..........the best!!!!

Hey Dudes just happen to get on this Forum to see what was going on & saw the "Peavey Club" & had to check it out & join! Here is a pic of my Teal Bandit (Scorpion Equipped Of Course!) I WILL NEVER SELL IT! TO ME THESE BANDITS WERE & STILL ARE ONE OF THE BEST & BADDEST S/S AMPS EVER BUILT!! :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

8. burnoutking999

burnoutking999 Tele-Meister

I JUST traded it for a peavey horizon ii guitar and hughes and kettner amp. Here are some pics though. I will sell that amp and keep an equally rare guitar! This amp was trade for when i sold my squire strat and frontman 15g amp lol. talk about trading up.

[​IMG]

9. wilner

wilner NEW MEMBER!

well i live in uruguay and i had a peavy bandit 112 (1993) and is a real good ampi , i will have to restaurate because have much shows maybe then post some pics , so i love the marshall soud but what do you think about this classic?? 1993 peavy bandit 112

10. wilner

wilner NEW MEMBER!

hi man

i have the same ampi but with shaffield eqquiped is a good ampi

11. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Anybody got a good Scorpion they need to be rid of?

12. kevoreilly

kevoreilly Tele-Meister

I've got a first generation transtube one and it's one loud clean beast. It was my main amp until I discovered tubes. Funnily enough I've got a daddy-o overdrive that only sounds good with that amp.

13. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

14. N3TeleMan

N3TeleMan Banned

Hi everyone.
    Ive got a 1998 Peavey Bandit 112 blackbox, its the only amp Ive ever had, but Ive just got a new Tele after years of playing a not good *** SG copy. Well I see that theres a lot of support in the Tele community for the Bandit but can I ask; if you were going to buy a new amp to use mainly with your Tele, what would you buy?

What is the 'Classic' Tele amp?

15. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

There is a thread on this subject on the amp central station forum, 1st or second page.

16. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Holic

Late comer, hoping to join the club. I've had the new Chinese Bandit for a couple months, and every time I play another amp, I like the Bandit even more. The Bandit has really made me appreciate the value of a good clean tone.

My only complaint with the Bandit: What's with the reflective knobs? Can't tell where the darn things are set without getting up really close. Anybody find any better knobs that are good replacements?

17. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Holic

I'm also interested in how people are using pedals, both analog stompboxes and digital modeling units. Recommendations for specific pedals? Are you running them straight in the front or in the effects loop? Anybody running a digital modeling unit into the effects return, with the guitar into the pedal's input, therefore bypassing the tone-shaping circuitry of the Bandit altogether? I'm currently running my Digitech RP255 that way, and getting some good sound, but somewhat reduced volume.

18. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I have pedals in the effects loop of an early USA Transtube 112: compressor, tremolo, slapback, delay. I spent some time with this and - for reasons I don't remember - felt that this is the better way.

I have an old Boss ME-10; I have probably run it straight into the input but then put it away. I would be glad to hear how you arrived at your decision to bypass the pre-amp/tone stage with your Digitech.. Was the difference really noticeable?

Greg

19. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

After reading on another thread how to put LED's in a Peavey footswitch I went ahead and installed some in my Bandit 65 footswitch. It was super easy and only took about 15 minutes. The way the switching is set up on the Bandit the Light is off for the overdrive channel and off for Reverb on.

Here is how to do it

And my footswitch

Attached Files:

20. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Wow, you read my mind somehow! I'll look for that thread; what voltages are the LEDs you used rated for?

Thanks,
    Greg

21. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.