Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Bandit amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chemobrain, May 10, 2018.

1. knh555

knh555 TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I've got an '89 silver stripe that I bought used in 'late '90. Sounds great and the amp's bombproof. It survived a fraternity house for four years, so there's that. I wouldn't say it's as good as my other amps, but if has its place.

I tend not to play high-gain, but more cleans to on the edge of breakup. There are some good country sounds in there.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    haggardfan1 and chemobrain like this.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a USA block logo red stripe Bandit with the Sheffield speaker that I keep in our band practice room. It spent it's whole life in a church til I bought it 2 yrs ago for all of $95. Now, I'm not gonna rave about how it puts my tube amps to shame(Dr Z Z28, 1966 Super Reverb) because it doesn't. But it's a darn good amp. I feel I could gig it anywhere with my small grab and go pedalboard and not miss a beat. I don't love the reverb, or the gain channel(though it's usable) but it does have a good, solid clean tone that I can make work with multiple guitars.

Minimalist518 and JayFreddy like this.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I used to sit in with a reggae band in Tucson once in a while with my then girlfriend. They had a Bandit that I played through. It did the job very well. A few years ago I was giving a friend a guitar lesson and he had an '60's Les Paul Custom and a Bandit amp from the same era that he inherited from his father. He let me play through them and they really sounded good.

I began a search and found a Backstage Plus from the same time period in ebay for $20.00 plus shipping. I was going to use it as a living room amp, but I use it all the time as it's small, loud and light. It's also a great pedal platform. I played a benefit a few years ago with it and some guys were checking out our gear and seemed amazed that it sounded so good. Then they saw my pedalboard and noticed my Zendrive and they decided that was the tone secret. Truth is, for that set, I never even turned on the ZD.

I also like that it has an effects loop that I often stick a TC Alter Ego V2 in. I give it a little slap back with about three repeats just loud enough to notice and leave it on. Yeah, you can do worse then those Peaveys!

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Peavey Bandit is one of the best SS amps made IMO. Handles pedals well to get whatever tone your looking for.

Peavey Classic Tube amp and Blues Classic are fantastic. The 5150's are great too.

Minimalist518 likes this.

5. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I think the new ones are probably pretty good . As of right now I’m without a Bandit:( but I’m sure that’s temporary. I’ll probably get one of the new ones . I like the way they look too. I passed on one at music go round for $150. That was stupid on my part.

hs0504 and JayFreddy like this.

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    The 112 version of that amp was called the Revolution 112 and came in the same cabinet as the Bandit.

Very similar to the Bandit, but the Ultra channel has active EQ, for massive thunderous bass response.

The Revolution combo is also a great amp. Rarer but still in the same price range as the Bandits.

Use the power brake. Not sure if they call it that on all the models, but on the silver stripe you can dial the power down to 10%, which is only 8 watts.

The red stripe has a three way 25/50/100% switch. For most dive bar blues jams, I think the 50% setting is just about perfect for the sag you're talking about.

7. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I'm not interested in snob appeal, but I do like finding deals on good sounding amps. Current Bandit arsenal includes an '82 50 watter, a Teal Stripe, a Red Stripe and the current Chinese model. All sound good clean and take pedals well. Just got the Red Stripe off my local CL for $70.00! Has an issue with the volume knob that I have to sort out, but it's a one owner amp in really good shape. Came with the Sheffield 1230 and sounds great clean! Also have a 65 watt Backstage 110 that's a great little grab and go amp. I like Peavey!

8. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I play a (long since discontinued) Transformer 112, which were essentially 50 Watt, USA Red Stripe Transtube Bandits that offered 16 banked, footswitchable slots of completely customizable tone patches cooked up from Peavey's wholly analogue preamp circuit topology mated to various EQ curves that, together, quite credibly mimic familiar Fender, Marshall, Mesa, and Peavey voicings from clean to scream, with a host of time-based digital effects and an attenuator also available onboard (if one doesn't fancy lugging around a board full of stomps, etc.); plus, an effects loop, as well!

An early and unsung hero of modeling amps, co-designed by James Brown (now of Amptweaker). Footswitch and MIDI cable included!

Best. "Bandit." Ever.

IMHO, anyway.

PS: Did I mention the free -- and still available as a download from Peavey -- software editing program that enable you to create and store on your computer as many custom patches as you can think up? ;)

9. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    The big difference in the XXL is each channel has its own eq plus there is an overall master volume that works with all the channels. I need to get it out of hiding and play it:)

10. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Some redstripe Bandits have a potentiometer for wattage selection. The redstripe Bandit I have (early Naughties vintage, if I recall correctly) has such a pot - goes from 100% power down to 10% power.

My only complaints about it, as I enter my dotage, are the weight and the cosmetics. I won't sell it because it's so widely useful. But I might put a neodymium speaker into it to reduce its weight by about 10 lbs.(4.5 kg).

JayFreddy likes this.

11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    My red stripe Studio Pro has this (T-Dynamics) pot as you described. The new/Chinese/"Cyclops" Bandit has a 25/50/100% power switch on the rear panel. I'm not sure about other versions of the Bandit.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    All this Bandit talk has got me interested.
    I'm going pawn/CL shopping!

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    The silver stripe iteration, the first to be dubbed "TransTube," introduced the T-Dynamics pot on the front panel, going from 100% to 10%. Same with the red stripe. the "Cyclops" version is the one the moved the "T-Dynamics" from the pot on the front panel to a 3-position switch (100%, 50%, 25%) on the rear panel, and called it a "Power Level" switch instead.

14. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    There are Red Stripes with the 3 way power switch too.

The Red Stripe Revolution actually has digital reverb instead of spring reverb, the same as the current Chinese Cyclops version.

There are actually several varieties of Red Stripe Bandit as well as several varieties of Solo Series Bandit 112.

Peavey is well known for changing the insides of their gear but leaving the external appearance and manuals the same.

Does anyone know if the XXL 212 and/or head has digital reverb?

Last edited: May 31, 2018

15. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes the XXL has digital reverb and it sounds quite nice:)

JayFreddy likes this.

16. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Big fan. Solid amp, great value. I am a Bravo guy but our worlds aren't that far apart...

17. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    nice crowley icon.

18. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I owned a Bravo back in the early '90s and I wish I still had it. Great amp, but rare as rocking horse poo over here. Same with the Triumph-another great Peavey which sank with all hands.
    Anyway, just this morning I ordered yet another Bandit (my fourth, I think, over many years). I was convinced that my Blues Cube Stage would be a perfect replacement for the one I stupidly sold, but I was wrong. It's a fine sounding thing but it doesn't do high gain, nor does it like pedals much. I'll be keeping the BC for clean and slightly overdriven tones, and use it with my Bandit and an A/B/Y switcher. Looking forward to the familiar tones of the Bandit, but not the weight...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Still have a teal stripe I bought in '94.

Scorpion speaker and came with a cover. That doesn't happen anymore.

The AC15 probably gets more time these days. But, nice having a great sounding backup that works every time it's plugged in.

20. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I've had two... Loved them but they weigh as much as a twin....kinda lol.... They are heavy...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.