Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Bandit amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chemobrain, May 10, 2018.

1. THX1123

THX1123 TDPRI Member

Aug 24, 2006
    FL
    I had to use one in my band back in the day because my main amp died and I couldn't afford a new one at the time. This is what I learned:

A good tone can be had, and the amp is loud enough to keep up in a band, but a "great" tone is not going to be coaxed out of them - that said the high gain sounds had their own kind of pugnacious coolness. Once you figure out how to dial in a Bandit you can rely on getting very close to that sound from just about any Bandit you play through.

We would also sometimes use a backline or share gear with other groups. If I saw a Bandit I wasn't exactly pumped - but because I had lived with one I knew how to dial them in. I would rather see a Bandit back then as my backline amp than one of those painful SS Marshalls.

2. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    The Bandit's usefulness really shines if you're wanting volume to keep up with a drummer and bass player and are covering a diverse range of styles. It doesn't have a great, signature sound like a lot of renowned tube amps. It just sounds good, is versatile, can keep up with a band and all for $150 used.

JayFreddy and chemobrain like this.

3. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I have a new Bandit. It is a terrific amp. The only, and I mean only, complaint I have is that it is a bit unwieldy to move around. I know this has to do with the cabinet size for voicing, but mine is awkward to carry to gigs, so I leave it at church and use my red-stripe Envoys and Studio Pro for playing out. Someday this might change, but for now it works. I'd actually like to get more use out of my Bandit. I've only gigged with it opened up a couple of times, but I love it.

chemobrain, LGOberean and ce24 like this.

4. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2018
    Olympia WA
    i like the Saturation feature of the PV 65,

5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The Roland JC120 is an iconic amplifier, accepted as such by even the hardened of purists.
    The Bandit is the underdog... the amp that holds it's own under any circumstance but never gets the respect it deserves.

6. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If you can't get a good, usable tone out of a Bandit... it is you. :)

Just sayin'

Dan

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Ekko, Minimalist518, twr102 and 6 others like this.

7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2009
    Minnesota
    I had a Special 130 that was my main go-to amp for several years. I had pulled the Scorpion and installed a new-style EVM 12L in it. That amp truly was one of the top three sounding amps I had ever owned. I foolishly let a friend talk me into selling it to him. I really miss that amp. It just did everything and did it all exceptionally well.

Minimalist518 and codamedia like this.

8. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I had a Special 130 too, for several years. It was a beast; by far the loudest amp I've over owned, and heavy as heck. Great for cleans...I often wondered if guys use them for steel.

chemobrain likes this.

9. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Heavy it is . The transformers are huge in this amp. If you like Peavey’s transtube stuff then you should try one of these. It’s a lot like the Red stripe special 212 but it’s just got something more than that.

JayFreddy likes this.

10. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    does your new bandit have a stripe? what color is it?

11. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    :cool:

12. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I've used Bandits in one incarnation or another since the early '80s. In fact, this is the first time for years that I have nothing Peavey-related in the house. They are fine amps, and the Transtube technology really does work-but you need to push the amp hard to get that 'sag' and compression, and that's not easy with the 80W Bandit-these things can get very loud. I once gigged with a tiny Rage 258 pushed to the limit, and that little thing really sang-and I'm not kidding.

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Still have my 90's teal stripe with the Scorpion speaker. Think I paid $250 brand new.

Works every time it gets plugged in. Not a bad investment. Paid for itself many times over.

Came with a cover. You don't get those included these days.

14. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Screenshot_20180513-084123.png

Mine looks like this, except I changed to white chicken head knobs because I couldn't see the stock ones very well.

I thought I had at least one picture of my actual amp, but I can't seem to find it.

PSA: A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cover will fit this current model bandit, but it will be an inch or so short vertically. Fwiw. You can probably get Bandit covers by now though.

chemobrain and brookdalebill like this.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I have been tempted at times to just end the search and get a new Chinese one. Especially so when I was offered one at $350, as I mentioned earlier. The owner of a local store, a long-time Peavey dealer, has had used Peavey amps in the store before, so one day a few months back I went in to see if they happened to have a used Bandit or Studio Pro. They didn't, but the owner offered to sell me a new one for $350.

I didn't pull the trigger, but like I said, tempting. I'd prefer USA made, but my impression is the Chinese made ones live up to the Bandit fame. I'd also prefer real spring reverb, but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me.

16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I played a Special 130 from 1984 until I sold it in 1993... Around '87 I loaded mine with a JBL E120. During that time I played 6 nights a week, week after week, year after year - most of it on the road. That amp never let me down, and never needed service. I've owned some great amps over the years, but I still regret selling that amp... it could hold it's own against any of them.. IMO.

JayFreddy and 2 Headed Goat like this.

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I believe it. The Rage was my 1st amp after a 1200-mile move. Cranked and or miked that little booger for a few gigs...

18. haggardfan1

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I gigged with a Decade until I could afford a bigger amp. Anybody remember those? Probably the father or grandfather of the Rage.

It was the smallest amp Peavey made around 1979. Ten watts into an 8" speaker, and I could not damage it. Believe me, in my college years, I tried.

19. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    thank you.

20. chemobrain

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I had read long ago that Robert Quine had used a peavey Bandit on Lou Reed's "The Blue Mask" sessions.
    Robert Quine certainly had that thing.
    I saw him in one of west Berkeley's some what seedy and aromatic barrooms with Richard Hell and the Voidoids, he was great
    Richard Hell was great as well though I might add despite his appearing to have collide with a pharmacy prior the second set.
    A great show.

Minimalist518 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.