Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Bandit amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chemobrain, May 10, 2018.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I had a Peavey Bandit 65 in the late 1980's and I thought the clean channel was nice but the built-in overdrive sucked. It was unuseable in my opinion.

Shango66 likes this.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Local opera company had a print/radio campaign aimed at college students a few years back..

"Opera..it's not as bad as you think..it can't be"

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Jakedog, naneek, drlucky and 2 others like this.

3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have had a few Bandits and a number of related amps, I actually prefer some of the smaller less powerful brethren (Studio Pro, Envoy) for my situation. The Bandit especially in its later Silver/Red stripe guises is a lot of amp, coupled with the thoughtfully designed dedicated extension cab (can be hard to find), you should be good to go for even the largest stages. But I find even the lone combo to be a bit much for day to day use, I recently sold a red stripe Envoy which is basically a 40 watt 10" speaker half pint Bandit, very light, excellent bass response; fine little amp that works well for any situation where low to medium volume cleans are needed. The OD can be gritty but usable with some tweaking.

There have been many Studio Pros over the years, I am currently using a original 20 watt 1x12 from 1980 that I found second hand w/ a EV Force speaker installed!.. Not what most people would do these days, but keep in mind that PV's of that era were marketed as and considered by many to be "affordable pro gear" and graced many prestigious stages, and were used by many big name players. It's only recently that they have settled in to the semi pro/amature nitch, that most people relate them with. Putting in a EV at the time would not have been out of character for such a amp. It certainly sounds good!

It seems the early stuff is still sleeping; while the later Bandits & SP's + the Express climb towards the $200+ mark, ( I blame you guys ;-)) earlier examples w/ the pre Transtube "Saturation" circuit and all Envoys, seem to still be available for less than $100, ( I paid $75 for the aforementioned SP a few months ago..there was a Teal Stripe Bandit 112 for $85 ) The trick with those early amps is a proper dial in, downloading and understanding the manual is key, if you set every thing to 10 like a vintage Marshall or Fender tube amp, you will be disappointed. Try some of the suggested settings, and keep the combined numbers on the saturation circuit below 10 and you will find some useful sounds..

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Honest Charley likes this.

4. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    The bassist in one of my old bands used a T40 for years until she replaced it with a Fender Jazz. But, dang, that was a solid, serviceable and good sounding bass!

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    That clean channel was waiting for modeling units to be invented.

[​IMG]

6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    If anyone ever watched Peavey on Undercover Boss they certainly came across badly.

Anyway, never owned a Bandit but played a few in rehearsal rooms - the cheapness and durability being why they have them there. I haven't really liked the OD side but in those circumstances I haven't really had chance to mess with the sounds too much. The clean is nice and punchy and it's a very good pedal platform ( not always the case for SS and almost never the case for budget digital). I used to have a Marshall In A Box type pedal I would basically use as a pre amp into a Bandit and that worked well.

Minimalist518 likes this.

7. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Made me laugh out loud.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I used to have a red stripe bandit but I sold it. Terrific amp, sounds great, looks hideous IMO :D If I ever see another I'll probably have to grab it!

JayFreddy likes this.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    No.

Bought a red stripe about 6 years ago on the basis of all the glowing reviews on this forum.

Sold it 6 mos later after my band members said "Do not bring that thing to any more practices/gigs".

I tried.

Then I agreed.

I don't like how they sound.

Sold it for what I bought it for - and even deliverd it to the guy - and considered myself lucky.

10. rmendozajr

rmendozajr TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Texas
    Yaaaaaassss!!! That’s the perfect video to demo a silver stripe and I agree with everything that guy said. Loud, clean with a splash of Reverb or crank and rock! Awesome.

My only advice to anyone if they get a silver stripe is that Peavey tech support no longer carries replacement pots for that t dynamics knob. It’s this special dual gang pot that I found out you can DIY but as far as a direct oem, they won’t have it.

Other than that...rock on!

11. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I've got one I left in a practice room for years. It's a mid-80s model. Has a real spring reverb that is nice. I replaced the speaker with a alnico 12" and that was a major upgrade. After many years it developed an issue and I had it serviced. In the interim I replaced it with a '66 Ampeg Jet. What an improvement over the Peavey. If anyone wants a recently serviced 80s Bandit let me know.

12. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    Had a USA red stripe with a matching 112sx extension cab( hard to find red stripe cab). I traded it off for a Gibson Les Paul. I miss it. I still have a made in USA red stripe envoy that I modded to have an fx loop and a tdynamics control. I have a Jensen mod 10/50 speaker in it. It’s a GREAT little amp:)

Jakedog and JayFreddy like this.

13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    The Peavey Bandit is legendary, and highly prized, among solid state, analog amps. This 80-watt tone beast can be had for $399 (or less, with a coupon), shipped!

The Bandit has plenty of worthy competition TODAY, but none at its price point!

chemobrain likes this.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I totally agree.

chemobrain likes this.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

The only Peavey amps (Envoys, Studio Pros & Bandits) that I've ever owned were all MiM (Made in Mississippi). I never saw that Undercover Boss thing, but of course I've known for some time that they moved manufacturing to China. I'm disappointed in that, but not surprised, and Peavey is hardly alone in that move.

I of course could buy a brand new Chinese made Bandit locally or online for $400. Shoot, the owner of a local store and long time Peavey dealer offered to sell me one for $350. Not an expensive way to go, but that would be a more expense option than used. No way I'd ever pay $350 for a Bandit that's 20+ years old. But I would prefer a USA made Peavey for under $200, if I can find one. And frankly the hunt for one is a large part of the fun for me. And yes, they are getting harder to find, and yes, I think TDPRI members, myself included, have had something to do with that.

JayFreddy and chemobrain like this.

16. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I've got Bandit's big brother Special 130 and I'll take it any day over a lot tube amps out there. The new ones don't sound bad either. They just don't have a spring reverb. No digital reverb no matter how nice just won't do it for me.

JayFreddy and twr102 like this.

17. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

I owned a red stripe Envoy that I gave to my brother. I owned a Studio Pro 112 silver stripe and an Envoy silver stripe. Every other Peavey amp I had was either teal stripe or '80s vintage. So I'm open to the whole spectrum of Peavey amps. I be happy with a red stripe, but just as happy with a silver stripe, teal stripe or no stripe(1980s vintage).

I gave a teal stripe Studio Pro 110 to my son years ago, I'd really like to have one of those again. Even the Envoys are loud little beasts, although the older 35 watt versions don't have quite as much clean headroom. But the Studio Pros at 65 watts were rated the same as my Bandit 65. Both were loud enough for any situation/venue I'll ever play. I did outdoor gigs and jams with them, no problem.

And yes, settings, particularly on the Lead channel, are key. Personally, I play mostly clean or with just a hint of hair, so I did as you suggested, and kept "the combined numbers on the saturation circuit below 10." Worked for me.

Oh, yeah, real spring reverb, definitely another good reason to look for the older Peavey amps.

JayFreddy likes this.

18. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    IMG_2823.JPG
    I almost forgot I have this one too! Probably the best transtube ( non modeling ) amp Peavey ever made:)

JayFreddy likes this.

19. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I was only marginally aware of this one, and didn't realize it was a TransTube amp! Not looking for an older (heavier?) amp head, but still, now I'm curious...

20. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I had that amp for 15 years and didn t know you could make that. I always wondered what that knob was for.

jvin248 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.