Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Peavey Bandit amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chemobrain, May 10, 2018.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    over the year ...decade I have heard guitarists play through Peavey Bandit amps and the sound good to me in a live room with drums bass and various other instruments . The used market seems to offer these amps at very low prices.Ah but.... Solid State and again Roland JC 120 has been used by many guitarists .The same goes for Polytone amps with all those famous jazz guys running there big box jazz guitars through them. I was just wondering how others feel or think about this stout lil' trooper.

Jakedog likes this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Bandits are unbeatable "bang for the buck" amps.
    They all sound good, IMO.
    I see them on CL and in pawn shops for $100ish all the time.
    I'm not crazy about the reverb on them, but old or new, they are loud, clean and very EQ-able.
    Roland JCs sound better, with better reverb (and chorus, of course), but they cost a lot more.

3. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    What brookdale said. And the audience doesn't care if they're solid state. They're cheap and they're good.

Minimalist518, DaphneBlue and Jakedog like this.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I have the US made red stripe and I love it! These days though, I am only using its power amp section as I am using an mfx with good amp sims (Boss GT1). However, whenever I feel like it, I like its dirt channels with 3 options: vintage, modern, and high gain. Likewise, its clean channel also has a vintage and modern style option. It is really loud and built bulletproof like a tank! My only qualm is that it also weighs like a tank!

DavidP, ce24 and Jakedog like this.

5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Yep. Just being solidstate doesn't mean that an amp is bad. The Bandit is clearly a good one - as is my old UK built Session.

Tony474, JayFreddy and Jakedog like this.

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    The Peavey bandit (I'm talking 80s early 90s) has an excellent; fendery clean tone.

Drive channel is good too

If one can't sound good on a peavey bandit; it's probably his/her fault

twr102, Minimalist518, ce24 and 4 others like this.

7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got two. I paid $70 for a Transtube Silver Stripe with Sheffield speakers and a newer one from the early 2000’s
    I bought a PRS Sonzera. $799. Sold it back to the shop to get the newer Bandit.
    They are great reliable amps. Nice cleans , nice OD channel , nice reverb. Easy amps to manage sounds on different guitars
    I broke a knob shaft off the older Bandit. It’s worth it to me to pay $160 to get it replaced.

Minimalist518 and Jakedog like this.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Peavey marketing really needs to include the common lore of what owners say about these amps:
    "Loud, durable, takes pedals well, and cheap", because that is what they are ...well they may want to say "inexpensive".

General consensus of the Internet is that the Red Stripe is the one to get, however I own a 65W Solo series, a Red Stripe (Studio Pro 2x12), and a modern 112 and they are all good. Mine all have physical spring reverbs. While I admire tube amps, I don't want the maintenance and fragility of tubes, so for loud amps I have these.

This guy is probably responsible for 50% of the used market price increase on these amps. They are difficult to find less than $200 around here any more. I happened to get my three before the Internet woke up. Look for his video on the "The Fender Deluxe Plus 112" as another option, but I haven't seen that model in the wild.

Here's how to get a Marshall out of them

twr102, johnny k, ce24 and 1 other person like this.

9. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I've played through many a Bandit and JC 120, and own a Polytone Minibrute II. Bandits are cool amps - clean side only. Good sound, durable. The Rolands I can't get along with at all. Do not like the sound. Sterile, flat. My polytone has a warmth and depth I've come to really appreciate. None of them have the "aliveness" of sound I hear in my tube amps, but the best SS amps can be appreciated on their own terms.

twr102 and ce24 like this.

10. rmendozajr

rmendozajr TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Texas
    I’ve actually had 3 bandits over the years - teal stripe, silver stripe and red stripe. I actually think my personal favorite was the silver stripe. That guy with a different speakers kicked some serious butt on just stage volume. I seriously miss that one. But I’m sure I can find another one if I really started looking. It covers everything nicely.

Jakedog likes this.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    I have a 1987 Bandit 65 that I bought new back then. 30 years later it's still the amp I use the most.

The thing I like the most about it is that it's clean channel works so well with modelers.

12. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I had a silver stripe I bought used and played until I blew the speaker (that band was young and stupid loud). Solid amps.

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Ive got an early 80’s 65, picked it up for $50. Usually rides around in the car as a backup or lives under my computer table for woodshedding. Sounds great and always works.

Minimalist518 and Jakedog like this.

14. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I gigged with two Bandit 65's for a while. They were pretty decent amps. I was disappointed in the channel switching, and just kept them on the one channel all the time.

After deciding that two wasn't beneficial, I sold one to a band mate, played the other for a while, and then got rid of it for a SF Pro Reverb, which became my main amp for a longer time.

15. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK

Yes, the advertising of all guitar gear should be much more simple and honest.

"Bandits, they're loud, they're good enough, and they're dirt cheap."

"Fender guitars. They're trebly but you can afford them."

"Fender amps. Theyr're trebly, too. But is that bad?"

"Gibson guitars. They used to be better. And they're pricey. But your friends will know you're rich."

"Gretsch guitars. They look sweet but they cheap ones can be crummy."

"Boss pedals. They're good but someone's making a killing on these little boxes."

"Bigsby vibratos. They look great if you're not worried about staying in tune."

"Harley Benton guitars. They don't suck nearly as much as you'd think."

Etc etc . . .

DISCLAIMER.

These comments are CLEARLY not intended to be serious. Take offence if you like, just don't reply.

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've never played through a Polytone. I've never owned any of the Roland JCs or CUBEs. I've known guys that have, and I've liked what I've heard live and in videos, but I don't feel qualified to say anything about them.

I used to own two older 1980s Peavey Bandits, a 1984 Bandit 65 and a 1987 Bandit 75. I’ve also owned Peavey Studio Pros and Envoys. Since before this series of Peavey amps was called TransTube, they’ve been good amps. I've given away some amps, sold a few, but always meant to keep my Bandit 65. Sadly, it was stolen.

I’ve been looking for the right deal to come along, and when it does, I’ll have another Peavey amp back in my arsenal. I'm keeping an eye out for a Bandit, but they're not turning up as frequently as they used to, and are not dirt cheap down here. Oh, they're comparatively inexpensive, but I haven't seen "$100ish" Peavey Bandits in quite a while. More like twice that, when one even shows up on CL or a pawn shop. So I'm open to what shows up at the right price, be it a Bandit, or a Studio Pro, etc.

JayFreddy likes this.

17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I used to like Peavey.

Then they moved everything to China, lowered their quality, screwed their workers, and did the big money grab.

They might still make a few things in the USA, but once sold, integrity isn't something easily bought back.

The old made in USA Peavey guitars are an even better secret than the old Bandits.

1stezekiel and Hiker like this.

18. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    The bassist in my band uses the Peavey T40 Bass . It is built to withstand nuclear war, but what is great about it is that with judicious use of the well thought through controls it can do convincing impressions of other basses. Downside? It weighs more than a boat anchor. He's a big tough Scot so that doesn't bother him!

Minimalist518 likes this.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Yep. I used to have a Peavey bass but I "loaned" it to a relative for them to use for their church. It kind of worked out as a donation.

JayFreddy and Minimalist518 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.