Peavey bandit 65 has an extra hole in back.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jimdgreat1, Apr 14, 2019.

1. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

This extra.... what do you call these? A 1/4 inch jack plugs into. What could it be? I know taking it a part is the only way to know for sure. Anyone want to guess?

20190412_184846.jpg

2. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Plug something in & see what happens. Prolly an external speaker jack.

3. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

I tried a set of headphones and got nothing.

4. vanr

vanr Tele-Holic

Maybe a power amp in

5. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

There might be a clue on the diagram just to the right of the jack......... can you identify all of the other inputs/outputs elsewhere on the amp?

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Foot control?

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Manual doesn't have that jack on it. I think that's a mod. I'd say, open it up to investigate.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

The Bandit 65 already has a Pre Amp Out, a PWR Amp In, and a foot switch control for reverb and channel select.
    What the Bandit 65 does not have is an External Speaker out... this jack looks to be in the vicinity of the speaker lines, so that would be my guess without opening it up.

If it were a speaker output those headphones would not stand a fighting chance... and only one ear would actually get any signal. Do both sides still work on anything else?

IMO... You really need to open up the chassis and try to pinpoint where it is connected. If the concept worries you... open it up to take a few pictures and post them here for some of us to help you figure it out.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Four screws you see on the top of the box will release the amp chassis so you can slide it to the back. You probably only need to slide it back some and let it angle enough to see what is connected where. I suspect as other's it's for a speaker out but could be other things. Post a picture.

If you don't have a foot pedal, there is a trick of using a shorted jack plug in the pedal jack to simulate the pedal so you can get the channel switched.

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

IIRC... the 65 should be the exact same as my Special 130. With my Special there is no "shorted jack" needed... just an open jack will do the trick.
    EG: If I plug a short cable (ie: pedal jumper) into the FS jack I get access to the clean (normal) channel and the Reverb remains active.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

That looks like a "user-modification"....not factory. If not a speaker out, I would suspect a "line out" to run a signal to another amp or PA. Just a guess.

Wally likes this.
  12. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Glory hole?

Geo likes this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

My old Bandit 65 was stolen, but I still have pics of it, and mine didn't have that jack plug on the rear panel.

100_0376.JPG

Sorry my pic is not completely in focus and a bad angle for our purposes of discussion here. I've said it many times, I'm a lousy photographer. But you can clearly see that mine doesn't have the same jack in the middle of the rear panel that yours does. And the three jacks inputs on the right side of the rear panel are, from left to right, "Power Amp In," "Pre Amp Out," and "Foot Switch." Exactly what codamedia already said.

So like nojazzhere, I too am thinking that this is a mod made by a previous owner. And that Preamp Out of the Bandit 65's effects loop can be used to route the amplified signal to a mixer, so I'm thinking this mod would have been for an extension cab.

The Peavey website has archived owner's manuals, including for the Bandit 65. https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300095.pdf

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Showing my ignorance, I know.....but is a "Pre-Amp Out" the same as a "Line Out"? Can a Pre Amp Out be used to go into another guitar amp input? A line out can, and if made like Gerald Webber's "line out" mod for a Tweed Deluxe, it passes the "tone" of the Deluxe in a very low level signal. Just wonderin'....

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it's my turn to display my ignorance, about an amp I even owned, no less. :oops:

Regarding the Bandit 65's Preamp Output, I would guess that it equates to "Line Out," but I don't know. In all the time I had the amp before it was stolen, I never once used the effects loop for anything. I'm not a pedal guy, so I'd just plug straight in, and the only effect I needed was the on-board spring reverb, and the only grit I got was from Lead channel's Pre, Post and Saturation controls. And even though it was a 65 watt amp, it was LOUD! I never dimed the amp, and only once, for an outdoor gig on the island, did I use it in conjunction with another amp, a Bandit 75. So I never used the Preamp Out, and I'm not familiar with Gerald Weber or his "line out" mod, nor am I even familiar with the Tweed Deluxe.

In hopes that this will help, here is a full and verbatim quote from the owners manual for the Bandit 65 concerning its Preamp Out/Power Amp In feature...

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Cigarette lighter. Where's the device that fits in it?

LGOberean likes this.
  17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Plug in an external speaker cab. It probably wants to see 8 ohms.

Since the 65 already accommodates the other likely candidates, i.e., preamp out or reverb switch, it's most likely an external speaker jack.

If it's a preamp out or a reverb switch, you won't hurt anything by connecting a speaker cab.

18. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Maybe someone put in a headphone jack.
    Al

19. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone! I'm beat now. Maybe I'll get time to open it up tomorrow.

20. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh, that where you plug in your Flux Capacitor, but only if you want to time travel:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.