Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jazzman1021, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:06 AM.

1. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    I was staying in a Quality Inn in Tucson Az about 1993. It happened to be the place where the survivors of the Arizona got together every year. I would say there were about 40-50 with their wives and such staying there. I had the best time in the hotel bar one night with them. They were old then and most probably gone now. It wasn't many years later that I read they were going to cancel their little convention due to not enough left.

The stories they told, it was an honor to sit with them for a night. I will never forget it. It isn't often you get to sit with such men. Kids at the time, kids that changed the world.

2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    We went to Honolulu in October. We went to the WWII Valor in the Pacific National Monument. So glad we did.

We thought it would take only a couple hours to tour: It took us all day. We saw everything except the Aviation Museum: we just ran out of time. The USS Bowfin was probably my favorite. The sax player in my band served on a sub in the Navy. So to actually walk front to back below deck (what is that, bow to stern?) was amazing. The USS Missouri was my second favorite: I just couldn't believe that we had access to all that stuff, that we could wander around and see as much as we were able to. The USS Arizona was the most somber, of course.

Nickadermis likes this.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    If you're not aware, the Sailfish had a unique history-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sailfish_(SS-192)

Chicago Matt likes this.

4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    76 years; that's almost three generations, am I right? Wow.

Equally sad is that some tragedies stand in the annals of history, and some do not. Maybe one of my school age kids could tell you the significance, but I doubt it. I might test that theory tonight.

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Thanks for fighting for us; rest in peace.

DiscoverHawaiiTours_PearlHarbor_USSArizona_3.jpg

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    There should be similar thread about the Gulf of Tonkin and about the Chesapeake-Leopold Affair. These events also led to huge military conflicts, and loss of many young lives.

8. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    My grandfather was a friend of General Wainwright, living with him at Mt Vernon when he commanded the 3rd Cavalry. My grandfather was sent to the Philippines to fight the Japanese, Wainwright was forced to surrender Corregidor. My grandfather was one of the handful of men who left with MacArthur, and therefore didn’t endure what happened to those who stayed behind with General Wainwright.

But he returned to fight, until the Philippines was retaken. He was on the deck of the Missouri when the surrender was signed. He lived with the occupation until he was hurt in an accident, and discharged for medical reasons.

Amazing to spend years in combat, be one of two survivors in his troop, live to see the end of the war unscathed, and then be disabled in peacetime.

When he recovered, he went on to work for Eisenhower and then Kennedy (as a civilian), but then left Washington to live as a cowboy in a small pueblo in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico.

He was a simple enough man, though with a short temper. But he had a powerful presence, and people avoided messing with him.

He died some years ago, he had been a Cavalryman for quite a few years before the war started. In the depression there weren’t many options, and he took the miniscule pay and benefits because he loved horses, and the camaraderie of the Cavalry.

In those days no one thought there would ever be another world war. But they were wrong.

troy2003 and boris bubbanov like this.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a cousin who was on the Arizona that day. I never got to meet him. There's a park in Loveland named after him.

Dwayne Webster Memorial 1.JPG

Dwayne Webster Memorial 2.JPG

troy2003 likes this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Austin has an auditorium named in honor of a local Pearl Harbor hero, Doris “Dorie” Miller.
    He was a Messman Third Class who manned an anti-aircraft gun after its operator was killed.
    It wasn’t his trained specialty, but he took down several Zeros.
    He was killed in another battle later.
    Brave man, RIP, sir.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.