Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jazzman1021, Dec 7, 2017.

1. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Earlville IL
    Please take a moment to remember 7 December 1941. Have a great day.

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The Greatest Generation were aptly named.
    Not many left, but we all owe them a great debt.

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    "A day which will live in infamy...."

5. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Sad day. Unfortunately,a lot of the younger generation has no idea what it truly means.

6. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Earlville IL
    Sad, but true.

RoscoeElegante likes this.

7. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    I've been reading Winston Churchill's six volume history of WWII. Much thanks to those willing to put on a uniform.

8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX
    Attention! Hand Salute! Never forget those who gave their life for the freedom we enjoy today. God Bless America and Those Serving to Keep It Free past and present!!!

9. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix

10. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I enlisted in the US Navy on Pearl Harbor Day, 1989.

11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada

Just about the most powerful war-related song (and video) I've ever heard or seen.

My dad, who joined the Navy ASAP thereafter (his brothers went into the Army Air Corps and Silent Service), remembers listening to a college football game when the raid was announced.

His neighbor from down the street was in the U.S.S. Arizona.

And still is.

"Remember."

Wallo Tweed, troy2003 and Nickadermis like this.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I was at the Arizona memorial several years ago, and the people there fell into three basic categories:

1. US military peronnel
    2. Middle age Japanese tourists
    3. Young Japanese tourists

The military folks and middle aged Japanese were quiet, respectful, and clearly knew what the place represented. The younger Japanese were laughing and taking pictures just like it was an amusement park. My first thought was that they were gloating over their country's great victory (which of course it wasn't), but after observing them a while I realized they were just clueless and didn't care what this place was, or that it was the first step in their country being the only one on earth ever attacked with nuclear weapons.

I don't mean that as a comment on Japanese society- our young people are, by and large, just as clueless. It's OUR job to educate them. If you're around any young people today, ask them if they know what December 7th is and why it's important. If not, tell them.

13. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    We only have three WWII vets left here in my immediate area, My neighbor who was on the Missouri when Japan signed the surrender , a great lady friend who ferried new fighter planes to the coast from Kansas and my Grandpa.

He was a navy frogman in the Pacific , blown up and full of shrapnel held together with metal plates and pins and only has one lung. Paralyzed for a year and in the hospital for 3 years. They said he wouldn't live to be 30. He is in his 90's now :) A harder man with a bigger heart I have never known.

i miss all those quietly colorful men and women who gave so much and asked for so little !

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    ....and that's sad.

viccortes285 and RoscoeElegante like this.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I don't always remember to put my U.S. flag out for every Federal holiday....but I ALWAYS put it out on December 7th.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup.

Young fellow, had his newly repainted Mitsubishi Eclipse keyed, and didn't understand why. I took some time, and tried to explain what the corporation that makes this product means to people 10 and more years older than me. They can't make peace over what happened - they need to find a way.

Personally, I got to peace over Pearl Harbor in the mid to late 1990s I would say. The bigger problem, as the decades pass, is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Chicago Matt and RoscoeElegante like this.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Well over thirty years ago, I worked in Electronics in a long gone department store. A sweet older lady was looking at TVs, and wanted to know where each one was built. Back then, many were made in Japan, one or two in Korea, and only one (Sylvania) was still made in the US....She actually got angry about all the Asian products and I was about to dismiss her as a kook, when she mentioned that her 19 year old brother had died at Pearl Harbor....I bit my lip and just told her I was very sorry. Yes, we all need to learn forgiveness and cooperation, but I understand for some people it's just too personal.

Chicago Matt and boris bubbanov like this.

18. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Had the privileged to visit the USS Arizona this year. Breath taking! And such a time.

troy2003 and Chicago Matt like this.

19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Thanks for this Papa Joe. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, my father, who was in the Naval reserve, entered active duty as an "old man" of 27 and soon became a Lieutenant Commander on the submarine USS Sailfish. I wasn't born until 4 years after the war, but I'll always be grateful to my Dad and the other men and women who have served throughout the years.

troy2003, boris bubbanov and beyer160 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.