Paying for your education vs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

You sow as you reap, or is it you reap what you sow, not sure, ymmv.

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I was reluctant to admit that the scope of the questionable dealings in college admissions extends to the SEC as well. A family friend wanted to go to Auburn University in Alabama but did not have the grades. His father, grandfather, and uncle made a bargain under the table for ten cases of Old Milwaukee, ten cartons of Sir Walter Raleigh cigarettes, an undisclosed number of S&H Stamps, and the pick of the litter of coondog puppies in exchange for admission. It worked out well for him, he has his own small fleet of septic tank pumping trucks and is able to cover all his child support and keep a roof over his head.

3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I was given the task of interviewing a young man for an internship. He showed up to the interview unprepared to talk about the position and merely wanted to gloss over his high school alma mater.

I was not impressed so i reported back to my manager that he was unsuitable for any position in IT.

My manager seemed shocked and then flabbergasted that he would have to break the news to some "C" suit's friend.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That sounds like the unfair to staff attitude some have toward public employees. There are some things that are public goods and yes we pay for them. It's fair to expect those agencies and institutions to do the overall good job they do and be accountable but it's not fair to the soldier in this case, or a civil engineer or the teacher or firefighter to the two of us are their boss. They made their deal with their employer, not me.

The education benefits military veterans get have been a good for all of us, and across generations. Same for the way other public jobs have often had a lot of training and continuing education as part of the deal.

Jim622 likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Before I check out of this discussion .
    Which of you is so pure that they would not bend rules if they had the finances to do so ?
    Ciao .

6. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

Life styles, but it will eventually "pay" in the future.

7. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bending the rules is a long way from this scandal. What are you telling your kids when someone takes the SATs for them. You have no faith in them? They're to stupid to make it on their own? I'll bale you out. Go be a clown. We'll take care of you. Your better than everyone, because I got lucky and made some movies.

I never thought of myself as pure before. Thanks.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  8. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Don’t worry. I’ll never accuse you of being pure :)

9. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Are you from the Stamper family featured in Ken Kesey’s novel Sometimes a Great Notion? Similar story as yours, except that the Stampers were loggers in Oregon. Great book, great movie.

10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

No. Sarad Family from Bakersfield, CA.

Ken Kesey made it with athletic ability to college. Sometimes A Great Notion was a good one. My son and I met Zane and the crew in Berkeley 15 years ago when Ken’s Illustrated prison journal was released. Ken Babbs, Mountain Girl, Wendell Berry, and loads of other semi famous old hippies and writers were there.

11. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

We've been in seemingly unending war for almost twenty years. Military service in trade for college is a far more precarious proposition than it used to be. I don't think my kids should have to risk their lives to be educated.

12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I paid for eight years of higher education and received two advanced degrees. I have no sympathy for cheaters. These people deserve all the bad publicity they can get IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.