Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Paying cash with EXACT change neurotic?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 10, 2017.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Everyone be honest. Do you HAVE to pay with exact change (to the nickel or penny) when paying cash?

Do you find yourself digging into your pocket and getting a fuzzy feeling when your silver and copper palm blooms with THE number?

You are not alone.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    what if Judas was paid with bitcoin?

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm johnny cash.
    Lower case.
    I'm a cash kinda' guy.
    I don't like to brag, but I make dozens of dollars.
    I pay exact change often.
    What?

william tele, RoyBGood and 1955 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Guys be serious bout their exact change jus sayin'

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I see it more frequently with elderly women

Steve Holt and vibrasonic like this.
  7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    If I pay cash, I pay in bills and the change goes into my change jar. I never pull change out if my pocket except to put it in the jar. That said, I usually just pay with my card and move along.

8. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    [​IMG]

"What was it again? Hold on, I may have it..."

JayFreddy and soulman969 like this.
  9. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Nope, I pay cash but usually with bills and expect the cashier to make change- I have lived in countries that expect you to have the correct change or at least close to the actual price in change- they look at you funny when you don't carry any change and they have to actually figure out the difference (always with a calculator if they don't have a newer register) I throw my change in a jar.

10. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    And why pass up an opportunity to show off that serenity prayer coin haha

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Once I break my folding money into coins it's as good as gone.

Speaking of OCD, if the tab comes out an odd number, e.g., $11.27, I'll check to see if I've got an extra single, and if so, I'll start digging for the .27 cents.

If possible, I'll pay $21.27 so I can an get a single $10 bill back as change.

jvin248 likes this.
  12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Meister

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Cash? A few things have happened since I stopped paying for things in Cash-
    • The price of a gallon of gas-When it went crazy in the early 2000s I would be carrying wads of cash to fill my tank!
    • Travel-I didn't like having a lot of cash on me in crowded areas.
    • Getting paid monthly and direct deposit-The debit card has become king!
    Used to be you could negotiate a better price with local providers
    with cash. Not so much any more.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I always pay with exact change. Plastic works quite well for that. :D

Cash has become a fairly foreign substance with me. The bills are dirty and the coins weigh me down. In fact I'm willing to bet your toilet is actually cleaner than most singles 1955. :lol:

1955 likes this.
  14. I pay cash for small amounts like that and do the same thing, try to get back a round amount. It doesn't always work: once I handed over extra so that I'd get back $5 and the cashier handed back five loonies.

I usually fish out the coins ahead of time, so that it's faster than using a card, anyway.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    For me, THIS x eleventy billion. If I go get a coke, which costs $1.58, and I pay with $2.00, the change goes into my pocket. Even if I run another errand, and the bill is $xx.42, I will pay with bills and put the change into my pocket. This way, in a few months, I collect enough for a new pedal or gear. I've tried saving long term, but that doesn't work out. I have a clear plastic bucket, it's small and sits in my armoir. I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the lid. It's maybe 6" in diameter and 8" tall. Theoretically, it should nearly $1,000, but I've only ever saved up to a couple hundo, then hit the change machine at the bank. NOW, however, ALL the local banks have removed their change machines, and I have to roll that chit by hand. So now, I usually don't save more than a $100 in change before I roll it and count it. Oh, that reminds me: I bought a used Fulltone Soul-Bender last night, and I gotta spend the night rolling change. Dang it!

Bones likes this.
  16. Guitar_Gunman

Guitar_Gunman Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2015
    Missouri
    I just left your other thread '55,:confused: yes its Neurotic. Is it possible that you might be a little Neurotic? No offense intended sir. :eek: Have nice Day!

vibrasonic likes this.
  17. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    [​IMG]

"Who, me?"

18. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Holic

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    Yes I usually pay with the exact amount of cash, I've just paid the milkman this evening with the exact amount, I'll start putting my loose change on the windowsill ready for next week:)

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    My favorite is when they give the change a little shake in the palm after they pull it out.

20. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine
    If I could only spell antediluvian, yes.
    When acquiring figgy pudding. Mostly pennies. Or hay pennies. Wooden nickels. All natural.

21. Guitar_Gunman

Guitar_Gunman Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2015
    Missouri
    I like when the drive through attendant puts the coins on top of the bills, on top of the receipt so they slide off and fall to the drive through pavement. I wonder how much they collect at the end of the shift? At least I don't have to worry about getting out to pick it up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.