Paying bandmembers for weekly rehearsals - Good idea?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by SecretSquirrel, May 19, 2019.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

To help attract needed band members, I was thinking of paying an "expenses/travel stipend" of $25 per weekly rehearsal. That would be $100 per month per paid player, to show up, learn the material and get prepared for 1-4 gigs a month.

The idea is to pay the cash for at least several weeks of rehearsals, until the material (which isn't all easy) is up & running. It's kind of a themed band with an existing (but always expanding) repertoire.

One issue might be, that once they get used to that $25 a week, they'd resent the ending of the payments when the time came.

And maybe paying that money appeals to the wrong motivation? I don't want it to be all about that $25.

I just don't know, but it's not a big city, good musicians are at a premium, and I'm driven to get an ensemble going again.

Is it a good idea?

2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Is it a band or are they hired musicians?
    If it's an equal share band and an advance against future earnings, maybe. But I wouldn't.
    If it's your band and you pay them a fee per gig and keep the rest of the gig money for yourself then it makes sense

nojazzhere and SecretSquirrel like this.
  3. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I played in a band that paid $50 per rehearsal. Unfortunately the leader was tone deaf. I think most players would love the idea, on the other hand, I understand your concerns. perhaps if you made it clear up front that it was only until you start gigging.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Paying people (can) make you the “boss” .
    It’s great, if everyone agrees.
    I rarely get paid to rehearse, but it happens.
    Paying people should “buy” cooperation, IMO.
    If you (the payer) have a “mission”, paying players/musicians/band-mates is a good idea.
    If the band is a democracy, it’s not a good idea.
    I have an old friend who has a band project.
    I would happily play and rehearse with with him, gratis.
    He chooses to pay for rehearsals so he can have “input” on what, and how we play.
    So far, so good.
    BB King’s “Payin’ The Cost To Be The Boss” leaps to mind.

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

If you believe a monetary incentive is the route to go, I would find a way to pay a rehearsal bonus that applies to wages paid for the specific gigs when services are rendered. Otherwise, you still run the risk that you may need to hire a sub for the gig, rendering your expensive rehearsals useless for that chair.

Treadplatedual and String Tree like this.
  6. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

If you've got the money and they don't, pay them)

Larry F and SecretSquirrel like this.
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

How about setting goals that would develop a bona fide wedding/corp party band, and use the five figure gigs as the payment for practicing and showing up prepared for rehersal?

Production gigs often have 3-4 rehearsals that pay, basically an hourly wage. But then the gig is also an hourly wage, and you may be playing 5-6 nights, like a play or musical. Ends up 12-20 hours of rehearsal/gig time. It never nets out much per hour though around here. I make more on a bar gig per hour.

JayFreddy and SecretSquirrel like this.
  8. SecretSquirrel

That's the question, I prefer to have a band who all have the same motivation—to make great sounds, have fun and get paid a little for it. I think explicitly "hiring" people would cost more than I can come up with (but I wouldn't be against it).

I do want to 'call the tunes' and keep the list focused. I've always liked splitting gig money evenly and prefer sticking with that; if someone works to land a good gig, or does all the booking, 10% or 15% to them is not unreasonable. (However it's done, it's not always perfectly equitable).

rich815 likes this.
  9. SecretSquirrel

:lol::eek:

I'm not a seasoned professional but so far, fortunately, with practice my "ear" gets better rather than worse. (fingers crossed)

I'd definitely make it clear the rehearsal payments were a 'start-up' cost, to help encourage new members to get up to speed. I'm not wealthy by any means, and couldn't sustain the payments for long anyway.

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

If they are hired hands, and if you are keeping a big portion of performance money ...yes. If everyone is getting equal share, hell no!

11. SecretSquirrel

Great perspectives, thanks. I do have a "mission" as far as the music & sound go, and more or less expect to set the repertoire or at least to keep it within certain parameters (all covers, though I'm open to composing originals in the same vein).

This is possible, although I don't know about the wedding part, it's a niche band (surf, "crime jazz" spy themes etc, all 1960s era) that might not fly as a wedding band.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'd tell you what I think, but only if you pay me ... :)

13. SecretSquirrel

I'd love to find local players who had the same motivation play this music, and make it a team, but that's been difficult. However I recently figured out one problem: I learned that two of the drummers who left us did so because the singer's voice was failing and no one wanted to say anything. So this round I want all instrumental, which some say is a bad idea but there are plenty of working if not beloved instrumental bands, and I know people largely enjoy this stuff.

I dread turning to CL, but figured that offering the stipend might nudge some skilled players to consider it, and a team will form.

14. Musekatcher

If you are in a large market (PNW = Seattle?), its a guarantee there are others interested in the same thing. They will likely be of similar age, similar background, etc. You just need to find them. If there's no potential for big bucks (such as weddings), you aren't going to get non-lovers to follow thru, even if you pay them to rehearse. They've got to want the same goal.

15. SecretSquirrel

Agreed, good point and thanks for the reminder.

16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Ahhh... so you're the guy paying clubs in order to play there....

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Professional musicians get paid ... They are worth it ... Amateurs are amateurs for a reason ... if they were professional, they would not be amateurs ... Only pay if there is a good risk of return on investment ...

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Miles Davis paid his "Second Quintet" (Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter) not to rehearse...
    I can see it if you're in a cover band though...that said - to some - a cover band is a fate worse than death.:D "Lord help me I caint chayayayange..." Ever seen a go-go girl with pasties dance to that?:lol:
    Just funky shoot me...

rangercaster likes this.
  19. Musekatcher

Really? You might be surprised who spends time on TDPRI, and focuses on the obscure to avoid the conventional professional musician sound. The OP's intent is commendable. I hope he finds some mates with the same goal. Some pretty successful projects came about, from like minds looking to be different, and looking to revive lost music and art. But I agree with you, anyone you have to pay, is not in it for the right reason, and subject to fade or fail on you.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

From my experience, the guys around here would just take the money and run.

Having a paying Gig or, a few of them, has always been the best lure.

radiocaster and SecretSquirrel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.