Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Paulownia Body Owners-Are You Happy With Your Tone?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jholcomb, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    If you get a good grippy leather strap you won't experience any neck dive.

I'd build more Paulo bodied partscasters in an instant,they lack nothing but weight. This was my first. A mere breath on your shoulder on a 3 hour gig.

[​IMG]

2. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2010
    canada
    Well i have a strat partcaster built by Rob and it's just an awsome guitar, no complain at all. Me i cant play long standing up due of a back problem(i alway's play sitting down).

3. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2008
    Louisiana, USA
    I love the sound of mine. It's light but I like it. I am working on another build right now too.

4. dugg

dugg TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2008
    san clemente, CA
    Just finished a 'Stratovariation' with a GFS Paulownia bod and my Coyote Dancer wiring config. This time I used a solid mounted GFS fat pole Tele pup paired with a lower impedence vintage Strat in the 'slantbucker' at the bridge. The two strat pups are height adjustable on the pickguard, but the tele pup is very close to the bridge and screwed into the wood GE Smith Tele style.

I was careful not to read any forum posts on Paulownia so that I, and my much more accomplished player friends, could formulate our own opinions, which as it turns out are pretty much the same as everyone. First, people immediately notice the loud acoustic quality before plugging in. Plugged in, this guitar sounds different in the hands of different players. It is a versatile and responsive guitar with lots of dynamic and frequency range. Of course, the wiring takes advantage of the flexibility of low impedence single coils and their ability to be recombined to produce so many sounds, in this case, 13. But, as much as I like the pickup configuration, it's the sound of the Paulownia body that really steals the show. These bodies will go a long way towards settling debates about how much the wood makes a difference in tone!

Here's a link to an old page that describes my CD Strat-O-Variation and shows what a 'slantbucker' looks like.
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/non...te-dancer-original-strat-mod-slantbucker.html

5. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 19, 2011
    wallingford,ct.
    i've got an Esquire with what looks like the same body as Skubs'.Mine is from GFS,sounds
    great,and is as light as a feather.
    oldteleguy

6. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    My P bass body is paulownia wood. The neck dive is tremendous, but a nice leather strap solves that easily. It's so light that it's almost unbelievable....

It sounds like a P bass should, so I've got no other complaints other than it dents easily (not really much of a complaint though)

7. TCASTJOE

TCASTJOE Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    new jersey
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Great tone plugged in or unplugged..... GFS Paulo Esquire

8. TCASTJOE

TCASTJOE Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    new jersey
    [​IMG][/IMG] I also have a black strat Gilmore style Built by Rob with a Paulo body... light and awesome on the left

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.