Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Paulownia Body Owners-Are You Happy With Your Tone?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jholcomb, Mar 1, 2008.

1. jholcomb

jholcomb Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2005
    Illinois
    Subject says it all. I'm wondering if I should go Paulownia instead of Swamp Ash on my partscaster. Anyone think an Allparts TMO-FAT neck would cause a Paulownia bodied guitar to feel unbalanced?

2. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At specific gravities of 0.25 or 0.30, it's going to be half the weight of a pine body. Chamber it, and you might have to tether it to the ground like a zeppelin.

There is actually a chance that the neck + tuners would actually outweigh the body. :eek: So your center of gravity isn't going to be between the strap lugs, but right about the neck pocket!

3. tlw

tlw TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have the TMO-FAT, the TMO-V, and the TRO necks. I weighed them all on a postal scale. They all weighed the same, 1.15 lbs, all the same to the nearest 1/100th of a pound. So they all weighed the same +/- 1%. So using a Fat neck will be no worse than using any other neck.

I also have a paulownia body, 2.8 lbs. Have not put it together yet so I can't say much about the balance yet.

4. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

I had a strat body i picked up somewhere made of that wood,hands down the lightest guitar body i've ever held.If i remember right it was around 2-1/4 pounds really weird to hold a body that light even weirder to hand it to someone when they expect it to weigh 4-5 pounds.Some guy begged me to sell it to him so i never got to assemble that thing.

5. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    Got two paulownia bodied guitars, one is Glendale guitar serial number 000.

Both guits sound great.

Johnny

6. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    IMO, paulownia is an excellent tone wood - very resonant and super light weight. I'm surprised more scratch builders aren't using this superb wood.

7. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I gotta tell ya, I was shocked with the Dean Vendetta. Its made of that Paulownia. It resonated really nicely, even acoustically, and that guitar was light!

But I think the thing that is impressive, the tactile feel of the guitar, does not exude a "cheapness" too it (much like old cheap Squiersand epiphones felt like back on the mid 70's) in , or a "fraility" or a "delicate" aire to the wood.

8. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Yeah man, that's what I'm tawkin' about ... here's my "chopped and stroked" 5lb 5oz Vendetta ...

[​IMG]

9. PraiseCaster

Rob! Thats awesome!

Is that the double cutaway vendetta?

Thats making it even more appealing too me, especially since they've dropped the price to 85 bucks!

10. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX

Yep, $99, er $85, Vendetta XM that used ta look like this ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Are all of those baritone?

12. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    The Vendetta sports a 25.5" scale length.

13. PraiseCaster

GAS rising.

Might need that Vendetta to fix up as a guitar to use, and not have major concerns about.........

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

I like it much better the way he modded it. here is what my little brain is thinking...

Attached Files:

15. jclark

jclark Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2007
    new jersey
    Who has it for $85? I see it listed for $99 at MF, and for $119 at the Center.

16. PraiseCaster

I just got a mailer/mag from GC, and they are listing it street for 85 (or 89) bucks.

17. jclark

jclark Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2007
    new jersey
    That's a great deal; I'll have to check and see if I got a mailer; if so it's definitely worth a trip to check it out.

18. pinecaster

pinecaster NEW MEMBER!

Nov 2, 2011
    Canada
    How easy is it to convert the Vendetta to a flat mount bridge? The reason I ask is I like the 7 string model but want to convert it to a 6 string and have the extra room on the fret board?

19. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2003
    Little Rock, AR
    Wow FOUR year old necrothread.

20. GMAN715

GMAN715 Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2006
    Texas
    +1 What he said :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.