Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Paul Rivera modded 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I liked his Twin II. Had to sell mine to scrounge up money to escape from Georgia back to Texas. Wouldn't have sold it if I didn't have to.
    It was one of my two favorite amps of all time.

tlsmack likes this.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    What's the other one?

3. jonny munksville

jonny munksville Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2005
    I had the Fender Twin II. Also, wish I'd never sold it (back in the 90s...bought for £400 and sold for the same I think) It was a really warm sounding amp. Weird overdrive though!

Just chipping in on this thread...this Rivera Deluxe Reverb sounds incredible. I'll probably never have that much spare cash though.

I've currently got a Hot Rod Deluxe, which just disappoints me every time I plug in. It just sounds so flat - can't seem to dial it in. Going to try a better speaker in it, and start saving for a second hand 68 Custom Deluxe.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Smh at the confusion. He posted it because he saw the video, found it interesting, and thought others might too! Just like most every other gear thread here that isn't a question.

I also saw this the other day. Very cool. Kind of goes overboard for the typical basement or bar band player, but I imagine it would be very useful for a session player. It was a bummer to see the price, but it's understandable I suppose.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    If I say anything, the prices will start going up...

6. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    rascal! .. :)

7. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Then just go ahead a buy a couple more before you tell us. ;)

8. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Gad, I feel like a jerk, so here goes...

Seymour Duncan Convertible. But the trick is in the modules, and getting the one with the right speaker.
    I've said too much already...

9. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm trying. Meanwhile, the big revelation is in the post above.

10. homesick345

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    W.. What?

What the hell is that? :) :)

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    As the character from the Brit-com Brilliant used to say - "You didn't see that. Roit?"

12. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    The Rivera Venus Recording is a very similar amp, at least features-wise. Roughly the same wattage, goes a few extra miles with additional capabilities. For the same price.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I heard a guy playing through one of these in a music store, late 1980's. I don't know what "module" or whatever was in it, but it was the warmest, smoothest, most beautiful overdrive I'd ever heard at the time.

14. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Hard to say. There were five modules in that 100 watt version. The first, sort of a V1 scenario, and then the other four, two for each channel. You could mix and match modules. There were many different types for numerous shades of clean and dirty. I always ran five 'classic' modules.

Now the modules are hard to get, and expensive. I've priced them on ebay, and it's always the same - someone trying to make the most off of any poor sucker with that model of amp.

15. TomK

TomK Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anyone take the plunge on one of these amps yet? I'm curious to hear what people think.

16. wmmrock

wmmrock NEW MEMBER!

Oct 29, 2017
    Kansas
    Mine just arrived this afternoon. Just got it warmed up and test drove it. Like it! Lots of choices to find what works for your ears ... surprised at amount of head room on 1st channel... I’ll get to know her a bit better this eve ...

jimash likes this.

17. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I'm not particularly impressed with the tone or features from the videos posted. For that price you could have Sebago sound build you a (handwired) Ultraphonix or Overdrive Deluxe and the faceplate doesn't look all hacked up on their mods.

18. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    There was a Seymour Duncan Convertible in a club I used to play in. I remember I was fussing with it and looking at the place where the modules go, when the soundman walked up and said, "you don't have to use that , Jim. Plug into the 100 watt Sundown with two cabs", so I never got to hear it. That Sundown amp was mighty.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Sure seems cool to me.
    Hard to argue with the list of owners of the originals...although, they had a pretty serious list of requirements that most of us don't need.
    But for a budy pickup/session guy, it looks like a good swiss army knife.

20. EnjoyGuitar

EnjoyGuitar NEW MEMBER!

Jan 14, 2018
    San Clemente, CA
    I just received mine a week ago. I know that this may upset most musicians out there, but I'm middle aged, and picked up guitar late in life, so I'm I'm not that advanced of a guitar player (hack is more like it), but I figured I'd simply go for a great quality amp, after starting my journey 5 yrs ago with $100-$500 amps. I try to play classic rock of the late 60's, 70's, and some music of the 80s. I own a Tele Partscaster, LP Traditional, Fend AmStrat. I can say she's a wonderful amp. I am not into the digital garageband computer stuff (yet), so using a few pedals (bad monkey, soul food, hallfame rev on custom channel), this amp is simply amazing. I can dial it in to mimic close to any band sound, and I have a few ebay / reverb.com used pedal specials on the way: an mxr CC, a big muff pedal, and an mxr chorus on the way. Is it worth $1999, to me it is. But I'm fortunate to be able to afford things like this now in my life. Might as well enjoy it while I'm here. Rock on. And don't ever stop.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    tlsmack, charlie chitlin and RedRock like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.