Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pau Ferro fretboard question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by micpoc, Mar 12, 2018.

1. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    It should do seeing as it translates to 'iron wood' from the Portuguese. Although ironwood is something completely different to pao ferro.

Bruxist likes this.

2. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2008
    Washington state
    All 4 of the founders have left, but the future is looking fine for the company.

3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have all three, and based on my limited experience, yeah Pau is right betwen RW and ebony. They are all fine, honestly. Based on what I've been seeing the past few years, it seems like both Fender and Gibson are really hard up for decent wood. A good reason to try (at least see) before you buy no matter the brand or wood.

And yeah, I don't know what "pao ferro" really is, but the same is true of mahogany and other species too. There's lots of kinds of trees out there, just fewer and fewer of the good kind.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    this is correct.... many of the very talented and higher paid employees Tommy (original owner) had accumulated have been fired... and some of 'em have "landed" across town at Best Guitar Parts.. In fact Dan, the guy I often worked with a USACG is now there and I'm working with him again.

Current wait for a neck from USACG is in excess of 3 months...

I have received about a half dozen necks from Best Guitar Parts so far, all superb... and they are far more willing to accommodate unique requests than other larger aftermarket parts suppliers..

Google Best guitar Parts . .

rk

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Barncaster and RomanS like this.

5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Of course there is an excuse for pale rosewood instead of the dark chocolate we have become accustomed to. It's commonly known as 'scarcity', and we better get used to it. Personally I don't give a damn what the wood looks like; I buy guitars to play, not to stare at and swoon over.

6. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2018
    AZ
    I have a Pao Ferro fret board on a Strat and I like it.
    I wouldn't turn it down on a guitar. It looks really nice.
    I can't say if it's better of worse then Ebony or Rose Wood.

Barncaster likes this.

7. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    The best I can describe Pau Ferro from on one neck I had is it feels "soapy". I kinda liked it, but if any wood feels quite different from rosewood or ebony it does. Kinda like less slick baby powder. To me it's just a different a feel as maple is, but in a very differnt way.

8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    While I like really well-surfaced ebony best, I consider a wide range of woods as being suitable for making good fretboards, which is why I get so cranky when builders don't bother tho bring out the best in their materials. The days of beautifully figured fretboards are probably gone, but all kinds of hardwoods work, and most can be sanded down to a really fine surface, and conditioned, even stained, to get whatever look you may want, if you care. My problem with Fender's Pau Ferro boards is not the material or color -- it's the bad job Fender does handling a pretty good wood. Ditto for EIRW, particularly as Gibson mistreats it. It's really not hard at all to work a beautiful surface on these woods -- or ebony, or maple, and many others -- and it bugs me when buyers get screwed because the stuff on sale looks like it was rushed through production.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.