Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Pau Ferro: Coming to a MIM Fender near you

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender_freak, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:03 AM.

1. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I like maple but it is nice to have alternatives.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM

2. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I love my rosewood and pau ferro fretboards. Maple's cool too, but I must admit I prefer the oiled darker woods. They feel and look nicer.

The dark pau ferro looks exactly like Brazilian rosewood.

You say potato......

Also, I have insane allergies and my unfinished pau ferro never causes anything to happen.

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    I'm guessing that if people are going to be thinking / worrying about the fretboard material while playing, they may need to find another hobby ....

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. fender_freak

fender_freak TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    WI
    I'm very interested in trying out the Pau Ferro, sorry if I came across as against it! Just not informed much about it. Sounds like it's a small change at most. Less radical than baked maple or something like that.

6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Judging by its physical properties, it might well be superior as a fingerbaord material to much of the timber described as rosewood.

stnmtthw and BradL like this.

7. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    I agree and furthermore prefer a fretboard with discernible features other things being equal. If the Pau Ferro I've come across in the past is anything to go by we can look forward to some nice variations again rather than the uniformly dark boards that have become popular over recent years. For me at least the attraction of a darker board is mostly visual, since they do admittedly contrast well with certain colour combinations but on that basis I'd be quite happy to go to Richlite and not use (save) the Rosewood in the first place.

Tony Done likes this.

8. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I also would be happy with synthetics of the richlite type, their hardness being a significant plus. I've nothing against synthetic acoustic bodies either, as long as they don't try and make them look like wood, as Martin does. FWIW, the only boards I've had trouble with, cracking and instability, have been ebony. :rolleyes: When I was living in Colombia, I went to a local repair shop to look at some ebony blanks to use as a replacement for the damaged board on my old L-00. The ones he showed me were all twisted and bent, and covered in a thick coat of hard wax to stop them cracking. It was enough to put anyone off ebony for good. Maybe it wasn't typical, but when it is stuck on a guitar, you don't know what you're getting.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 7:35 PM

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I have a Strat with a pau ferro board. I never really realized it wasn't rosewood for years; I guess I never noticed the slightly lighter color. It works great.

+1 on this.

10. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    If you've ever played or seen Pau Ferro, it's actually nicer than Rosewood.

The grain is so tight and smooth on Pau Ferro, it's 'faster' than finished maple, IMO

11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have a nylon string guitar I bought in paracho from the builder that has a pau ferro back and sides. It doesn't seem to be thought of that highly there, maybe just because it's so available, but I wanted a guitar with it because it looks cool. I'm not a luthier, but I think it will probably make nice fretboards. I hope fender doesn't drive up the price for the mexican luthiers.

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    OK, I know it's just me, but regardless of the feel and sound of pau-ferro, which are both quite acceptable, the appearance of the few that I've seen just didn't really attract me. The problem, I guess, is that all of my rosewood boards are very dark, which I find attractive. And the new wood just looks a little to light for my tastes.
    Am I alone here?

PS: I always thought that Gibson's baked maple looked terrible too.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It could always be stained. Sounds like ebony and rosewood get stained all the time.

14. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    You're all taking this very well.

From what I've seen with PF, it looks good. As long as people aren't hung up on wood types being "historically" accurate, then all will be fine.

If folks want rosewood, they'll need to buy USA. And pay the price.

15. fender_freak

fender_freak TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    WI
    No, I feel the same way and that's my only beef with pau ferro. But it seems like recent rosewood has potential to be just as light, I have a few rosewood fretboarded Fenders that are as light as that pao ferro linked above. Heck, my dad's 63 Gibson Melody Maker isn't much darker and I presume that's with Brazilian rosewood. My dad's Jazz bass had a pau ferro fretboard (neck got warped somehow, so it got a swap) and it's comparable color wise to all but the darkest rosewood (which I like the best).

The historically accurate thing bothered me too with the Classic and Baja series, but it's not like the pau ferro fretboard is the only thing "wrong" about them...they're still poly, pickups aren't year correct exactly, no cloth covered wire etc, so they're not being made any more historically inaccurate, so the purists still will not like them. Even if this weren't changing, many would argue the Indian rosewood wasn't a replacement for Brazilian rosewood. I love the Classic series anyway.

If you think about it, nothing is really 100% historically accurate anyway...not even like CS and RI ones are made in the same factory as the old ones...or none of the parts come from the same source. Copper doesn't come from the same mine...etc you could go all day. :D that's another argument.

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.