Patio door install

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Scottz, Mar 18, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think those are a PITA and your price is probably not bad. I would research the actual doors though, and get one that has good reviews.

2. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

$1100 sounds a little high, but that's probably what Home Depot charges. I would get a couple more estimates. It would take me all day, but that would include ordering the door. picking up the door and materials, and disposing of the old patio door. They are a pain to move around and install (HEAVY).

Edit: The contractor that gave you an estimate for $1100 may be hiring a sub to do the installation for about $600, while he sits at home and watches the Beverly Hillbillies.
    (there was a contractor I knew that told me he did that) :rolleyes: Make sure he's licensed, and insured, with referrals.

Ok, but you order and pick up the door, materials, and help lift the door, and dispose of the old one. :rolleyes:

Edit: What time will the coffee and donuts be served? :)

OK, I'll hire you. You must be very meticulous if it takes a month. :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Crafty Fox likes this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Likewise, I replaced the track and rollers and it's been fine. Got all the parts on amazon, took around a half hour.

tap4154 likes this.
  4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very common. I shopped around for someone to replace the entry doors (I didn't want to attempt it) and most were very high bids, and I knew from questioning them they just sent out laborers to do the work. Finally found a great guy that did the work himself, and he charged less than half of the other bids. Also was able to use the existing frame and fit the doors in, which is what I wanted, as well as keeping the existing sidelights. Others wanted to install pre-hung, which would have created a LOT of work for me fixing the inside and outside walls, or pay them for it.

flathd likes this.
  5. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you found someone reliable and reasonable to do your job..

The last 3 patio doors (hopefully), I installed were last fall. Two sliders and one double french door. We had them delivered by the lumber yard, and the 2 sliders had to be hoisted on 2nd story deck with a forklift. The swinging door was in the back yard @ ground level. A neighbor called me last November to replace their slider, and I told him I was booked up until spring. I really hope he doesn't call me very soon, I'd rather chip ice out of the driveway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.