Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Passive/active-DI /enhancers/eq /etc

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by uriah1, Jan 9, 2013.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Sort of new to the (live acoustic) thing. (guitar/w/batteries)

Was going live direct 1/4 to mixer. Not bad. Then tried an old passive
    xlr converter, and , had some more sibiliance...

Then looked online, and wow, there are so many. I would like one that enhances acoustic sound, but, I believe those are active, not for passive?
    (Fishman aura, Braggs ParaDI,etc)

Of course I could stay passive, and just get a 1/4 aural exciter pedal or eq.?

We dont have long runs...probably less 20 ft.

Just curious about using active preamp into active DI? problems.? Stay simple? I do like that enhancement thingy though.. I started using
    a chorus unit, recently, that kicked butt.

.sorry I am all over the board here, but, ....lots of questions.............

2. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I've used a L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI for about six years. It has some tone-shaping and notch control. I like that it has an effects loop, which I use. I've been really happy with it and would replace it in a heartbeat.

3. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    thx
    Does your acoustic have active or passive p/u

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    If you're looking for something to boost the signal of a passive pickup, look at the ART Tube MP. About $30. We use two of them at gigs for the acoustic guitars.

6. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    calgary, ab, canada
    It is fine to use active pickups into an active DI or preamp. My guitar has a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup (active) and I've run it through a number of DIs. Having the right DI/Pre can make a TON of difference IMO.
    As mentioned, the LR Baggs PADI is an excellent tone-shaping DI.
    My latest acquisition is a Radial PZ Deluxe - and WOW! I actually prefer it over the PADI!

Are there any specific pedals/DIs you are really curious about?

7. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

It takes a good long while to dial in right - as in a full day to get in the ballpark - and a few gigs after that to fine-tune, but my Fishman Aura Spectrum goes with me to just about every gig now.

If you just want impedance matching so you can run into an XLR mic pre on the desk instead of the lower gained line in, the Radial J48 or JDI are great units.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  8. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Sort of curious about anything making the acoustic sound fuller. That radial
    sounds nice. Trying to make the acoustics sound fuller, not tinny. Have
    a low end mixer, with bare minimum parametric eq. So I would like to
    set flat, and have sound come in good? The 1/4 jacks in now, sounds super attenuated, and too bright.

9. Paleus

Paleus Tele-Meister

May 1, 2012
    Conway, AR
    +1 on the Aura. It's the only way I've found to make my acoustic actually sound like an acoustic on stage.

10. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    Sorry for not catching this sooner. I have passive soundhole pickups in my acoustics. A L.R. Baggs M1 in my Takamine 12-string and a Fishman Neo-D in my Epi Hummingbird.

11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I like the Baggs DI box & have used it forever.

12. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    calgary, ab, canada
    Some have mentioned the Aura as well, and I agree, that is an excellent unit, but while it can work with passive soundhole pickups, I've found it works better with active piezo pickups. And you have to find the right images to really fit with your specific models of guitar. Once you find the fit though, it really does make a beautiful difference. I love mine.

But for what you are looking for I'd still recommend the Radial or LR Baggs PADI.
    One other benefit the Radial has is next to the input jack there is a tiny little button that can give it an extra boost specifically for when you are using passive pickups.
    Either of those DIs would really help your guitar sound fuller as well as cut through the mix if need be, without sounding too bright or tinny.

I always get my sound just right through the DI and have my channel at the sound board set flat as well. Works great and is more consistent than having the sound guy attempt eq adjustments on my guitar. :lol:

13. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    thx....

Some of those under-saddle transducers are just too much...anything to make the guitar sound more real..is cool.

14. jimdandy

jimdandy Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    Midwest
    I play acoustic in a band setting -- I went through what you're going through a few months ago -- what I learned was the general rule is go with a passive DI if you have an active pickup and an active DI if you have a passive pickup. Both combinations will work, but the passive DI/active pickup and vice versa combination seems to be more prevalent and yield better results from all I read.

Also, keep it as simple as possible. I used to have an active DI box with EQ (LR Baggs Avenue) with knobs everywhere for my active pickup guitar. I switched to a simple passive Radial DI box and EQ at the board and get more natural sound and less futzing with knobs.

Good luck.

15. Teleboss

Teleboss Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Williamson,WV
    I like my Martin 000-28 with a Thinline Gold passive pickup and an LR Baggs Acoustic DI. Simple rig. Glorious sound.

16. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Less futzing is good...as long as I can get a good board sound, with
    a wimpy parametric...

17. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    It all depends. I have used a Tak with active PU for quite a while and occasionally added a pedal or three. Some time back I went with a Radial PZ Deluxe for at feet EQ DI function and such. Pedals into it and out to Amp/PA. I love it. Also used it with a K&K equipped guitar and it works well there too.

All sorts of options and it all depends on personal need and desired function. Baggs Para. Aura's , DI's or pre/DI as I went. Match the gear to desired function and look at what fits.

Kristina

18. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    thx
    so Radial DI + enchancer? or
    radial DI alone

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.