Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Partscaster ultimate guitar building...finding best neck feel & fret size

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by teleblueman, Sep 20, 2017.

1. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2009
    washington
    So I have been in the process of building a T style guitar, & now int comes down to the bolt-on neck from Warmouth or whatever at this point.
    In the past, I've played old '56 or other vintage Telecasters in boutique guitar stares & said "Wow" "this neck feels perfect" However, they have come & gone. I like a bit of a handful on a neck because of my big meathooks for hands, but how do I go about finding the right neck without trying it out first? I'm worried about just ordering something based on spec & finding out it doesn't feel right.. I like "Soft V" I DON"T like a lot of shoulder....
    Just wondering what you suggest other than going around to every guitar store in town with calipers to find a neck that feels perfect & trying to duplicate it...
    Thanks for any insight.

Oh, Yeah. I like fender's "Medium Jumbo" frets on their USA standard , but medium jumbo is pretty ambiguous depending on the manufacturer. Does fender use Dunlop wire???

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    The only three ways I know of to figure out what kind of neck you like is to try out different guitars until you find what feels right, try different necks on your guitar until you find what feels right, or listen to everyone else's preferences and go with what they say. (For the record, the last option is the worst one.)

I doubt that Fender uses Dunlop wire, with the possible exception of a few models where the specs list "Dunlop 6105 frets," and even then I'm not convinced they use it.

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    After buying various necks from various manufacturers, over a lengthy time period... there's one, and just one, model at all-parts that I like and I have it on two different guitars, my main players.

I bought a bunch of necks from other people, Warmoth included.... didnt fit me right.

I dont know of any other way, really. Experiment and its not cheap.

4. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I know it sounds silly, but substitute "pants" for "neck shape"...

Unless you've been buying the same size and brand and model pants for years, that you know fits you perfectly, you can't go by the sizes in the catalog, or how other people tell you they fit...

Would you buy a pair of pants that way?

Ricky D. and KokoTele like this.

5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Basically warmoth's "standard thin" profile is akin to the modern Fender slim "C" profile. It's pretty slim for anyone who likes a vintage "C" profile, slightly less meaty versus a soft V.

I know this because a warmoth neck with the standard thin profile is an exact match for my 2008 American Standard neck.

See below:
    E7EFD87F-B820-47DB-98E5-94A41D5E63FF-6882-000008437AA3B751.jpeg

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    For me I found the Allparts TMO-fat profile to be the perfect neck. It is a 1" chunky C with medium frets and a 9.5" radius. I pattern the necks I make after that one. I do not like any boatneck or slight V because I want to be able to place my thumb at different places on the back of the neck or not at all. I do not like a D or any shoulder approaching the fretboard. I prefer a 9.5" radius but I can play a 12", don't really like 7.25" but they don't stop me from playing. I prefer 1.65" to 1.7" nut width. I dislike small or huge frets.

I use Stewmac #152 fret wire on necks I make, the higher crown allows a fret level without being too short.

[​IMG]

These are the things I like in a neck. You need to realize what you like, no one can tell you what you like.

7. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    What I did before was borrow some of my friends' guitars, feel the contours of each neck and measure the thickness at the 1st and 12th fret. I listed those numbers and shapes up, selected which one was the most comfortable to me and bought the closest offering there is in the market. Eventually went down with Musikraft's Charvel Pro Mod. I could never be any happier.

8. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Musikraft has a few patterns available taken from actual vintage blackguard necks. They are a more expensive than your average parts neck but the workmanship is excellent and the attention to period correct details is great. https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid182.html

9. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

The Warmoth profiles that Crawldaddy posted up are helpful as a visual aid, but they really only represent the profile at one single point along the fretboard. Sort of an "average".

For instance - the "boat" profile actually looks like the pictured profile only between the fourth and ninth frets. From the nut to the fourth fret it's a sharper V, especially in cowboy chord territory. Between frets nine and twelve it transitions to to round or a "U". For me, it's a great neck, but not until I knock the sharp "V" down with files and sandpaper. I don't take much off, maybe 1/16" or so at the nut tapering down to nothing at the fourth fret, but it makes a big difference in the feel.

I buy necks unfinished so it's no big deal. I really like the AllParts neck that Mike Simpson mentions. In fact, I'm going to order another one right now . . . :).

I can look at pictures of necks and profiles all day long, but the only way I've found out what feels right and helps me as a player is by playing different necks until I found what I like.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

10. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Hey ya'all,
    Instead of buying another one of those nice AllParts necks, I ended up buying a WD neck. First WD neck for me. Very similar to the AllParts, but just a tad more wood in the shoulders, very comfortable. Real nice workmanship with a little roll on the board edges and nicely done fretwork. TMV-fat unfinished, they say it's patterned off a early Broadcaster neck. Just as good quality or better than the similar Allparts necks I've used.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

11. bob barcus

bob barcus Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2004
    I bought a warmouth boat neck and then I use digital calipers single edge razor blade in sandpaper and made it where it felt good in my hand I also like huge Frets the 6100 but that's just my preference so you can't really go by with some other guy uses the only reason I like the big fret wire is because you can drink it down so whatever size you like but if you'd kind of know what you're doing you can just scrape away and send the neck to where you like it and I've made my next perfect for me not for some other guy that is my two cents

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.