Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Partscaster idea isn't going to fly.....

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kiwi_Neil, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

Most of those options aren't available here unfortunately, but I still do have some options to consider though. I'll have to think about it for a while

2. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    Luckily those little devils haven't managed the 2400km (1500 mile) swim to NZ.....yet!! ;)

3. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

Same problem though...shipping!

As I mentioned above...I still have several options to consider, so I'm still in the hunt :)

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    IMHO Putting a partscaster together in ANY country simply does not make sense when you can buy a pro grade instrument (read USA tele) for about 50% of its retail value in the used market.

5. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    Good point. I was looking used USA Fenders and USA G&Ls, since they weren't a big jump up from their new respective offshore versions. Then I talked myself into a good deal on a new USA G&L. Happens all the time, initial budget of x becomes 2-3x as you talk yourself into small additional increments.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oy--I thought that's where they're from!

7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Building and playing guitars I put together myself transcends the price of the thing, it's

1. about having a guitar just like I want it, which was a process developed over many years that started with somebody putting jumbo frets and a 12'' radius on my vintage style strat neck and assembling, partially building and buying and playing a bunch of guitars.

2. The satisfaction of learning how to do new things and working with my hands.

3. More expensive doesn't necessarily make (better guitar or I like it more guitar)

But all that aside, if you just want a playable guitar that sounds good, and you like es339's, Les Paul Standards or baja telecasters or whatever...... I think most squires/epi's/fender's/Gibson's...any major brand etc are good enough instruments and if you get one, and put the the time into playing it and setting it up and even modifying it if you want, you can't really go wrong.

I think of guitars more like the process of playing and tweaking a given instrument over time than I bought it and now I love it or hate it. Before I really like a guitar I've usually messed with the setup several times, and played it quite a bit. And I by like I guess I mean really feel comfortable with.

If you hate your guitar play it for 100 hours and spend 10 setting it up and see if it's any better you know what I mean?

I never really considered the availability of guitars and parts in someplace like New Zealand, having always been in the states, being a factor. When I look at your numbers and start adding up shipping on all the stuff I can see that a partscaster is going to be a bit more than one costs me to make stateside compared to the price of an off the shelf guitar.

If you check out some threads on the Home Depot, you might be inspired by how resourceful some of the builders from Australia and New Zealand really are too. There are some really talented people building guitars in this big world.

If you are primarily a player and just trying to get the most bang for you buck...well probably given your location buy a guitar.

I figure a parts tele with all the best stuff if you buy the neck and the body and buy everything new that really should rival a Fender CS guitar is about 3-500 (body and neck) 100-250 pups 30-75 tuners, 100 pickguard and controls/misc hardware. 30-200 bridge, 30-50 paint and supplies. So I look at it as a bit less than a New American standard, and a lot less than a custom shop guitar. And I think of them as Custom shop guitars, and I build them because I love to have unique guitars that suit my particular taste. But I know and have access to a highly talented and experienced luthier who is willing to help me out of my foibles. And I also know that even though I think my tele's are every bit as good as 4K custom shop guitars, they are worth nowhere near that.

that's my take.

Kiwi_Neil likes this.

8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    Tasmania is not New Zealand! :)

Neil I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you know what you want and have put a lot of thought into it. If I was in your shoes I'd probably try to save the pocket money and try to get some bargains in the upcoming Canada/possibly USA trip.

I got really lucky and put together my partscaster when AUD and USD were at parity so it cost about AUD $1000. (or about $200 more if I get around to installing the original pickups I bought for it).

Kiwi_Neil likes this.

9. tattooed

tattooed TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Perth West Aus
    What a really interesting thread.

I assembled a Strat from quality parts around 18 months back and all up cost was approx $1600 Australian, and yeh a sizable portion of that was shipping costs from the US as the range and quality of parts are difficult to come by south of the Equator, or at least in my Westerly direction anyway.

The body is from US Special and the neck is the compound radius version from the Deluxe Strat with locking tuners.

After I had put her all together and got everything up and running my wife and I sat down and did the sums and were surprised at the final cost. Cost for a second hand standard should be in the 1200-1500 vicinity in our part of the world so I am not heartbroken to have splashed 1600 for what I have, as there is not another like it anywhere, and like Neil I have no intention on selling it so not so concerned with cost vs return type debate.

So happy I am with the strat I have commenced a tele build but this time finishing the body in my preferred "colour". I worked with antique furniture for many years and have a good handle on finishing techniques and I am absolutely stoked (happy) with the outcome. I landed some hardware this week to beat the implementation of GST (tax) on all imports and only have a few little bits to buy before I do my final assembly and set up.

I have really enjoyed the build and would even consider going the next step and manufacturing components from blanks, I love working with wood. :)

So for me there are varying sides to the pleasure of this process, the fun of hunting for parts and researching options, bringing together my preferred components and putting it all together to have something relatively unavailable off the shelf. I know these guitars won't hold value like the ones with a decal, but I'm not bothered, this is way fun to do, but I get why some would not bother with the additional costs involved.

Each to his own.

Cheers,

Kiwi_Neil likes this.

10. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    @fenderchamp
    @Steve 78
    @tattooed

Thank you guys for your thoughtful input...it's very interesting to ready your thoughts and perspectives.

One or two people haven't bothered to read the entire thread and spoken a bit 'out of turn' and missed the point, but you guys seem to 'get it.'

Yes, I do know what I want, and I can see it in my minds eye and (to me) it's a great looking and well appointed and put together partscaster. I just have to, and want to, make it happen.

Years ago (too many), I put together a 1973 750 Triumph Bonneville. It started life in my lounge as a single front wheel...that's all I had. I could see in my minds eye exactly what I wanted the end result to be, and so I set about doing it. Despite a lot of flak from a lot of people about the sensibility of doing this sort of project, I carried on and after 11 months of searching for parts, building the engine (pretty hot) gearbox etc etc...painting, sending out work to be chromed etc, I had what I wanted. It looked exactly how I imagined it to be and I was one very happy camper! The bike was very fast and very nimble in the corners and it could hold it's own against many bigger bikes except perhaps in a straight line top speed run. As well as it's performance, it was damn pretty too, and it drew much attention whenever I was out and about on it.

The bonnie got stolen and I was devastated as you might imagine. Time moved on and one day I saw the bike of my dreams in a showroom, but could never afford and was as rare as rocking horse poop. I pooled all my money together, and borrowed a load from the bank, and bought my 1982 900ss Ducati...and this was in 1985. This bike is faster and handles better than the bonnie (of course) and is even more pretty...to me at least. Some people think it's ugly, but that doesn't matter to me. I have spent countless hours cleaning the duke after a long ride, or a race meeting, and I just love it to bits.

Zooming up to the present day guitar.....the partscaster I see in minds eye is like I have mentioned in this thread. I haven't spoken about why I want that particular neck, but I have a reason and I'll talk about that when I get to the assembly stage. I know how I'm going to finish it and I know exactly what it's going to look like, and should sound like.

Does that mean that once built I will never modify it? Of course not. The bonnie was in a constant state of development, as was the duke. The duke looked original from the outside (almost...kind of hard to hide those 41.5mm Dell'orto Malossi carbs!), but internally and suspension wise, things were very different.

So I'm under no illusion that I may change my 'dream guitar' in the future, but I know what I want to front up with at the starting line!!

Now, if I go for the Epi ES339, to me it's like rocking up to the bike dealer and buying a Yamaha 1100. Yes it's fast, handles well, stops well and hold it's resale value, but it has no character.....no personality. It's not built with love and with passion. Same for a Fender or a Squier. It's a sterile massed produced item that has been cloned many times over. Not arguing the quality, just the build. Also, I don't much like the colour choices of the ES 339 so that's another issue!!

As I've said a few times now, I'm not crying about the way it is.....it's just interesting that it is this way, and that shipping is such a rort!! We can't do anything about the exchange rate, but the shipping is simply a rip off, imo.

So yes, I know what I want and in my heart I know that I'll have to do it.....I won't be happy with the ES 339. I may grow to love it, but I'll still have to put that partscaster together. I know the re-sale won't be there....I don't care about that. I don't care that it won't say 'Fender' on the headstock......none of that anal crap bothers me in the slightest. What I'll end up with will be something special.....even if no one else likes it!!

So....I'm going to have to do it. There's no way around it. Hopefully the exchange rate will improve and perhaps I can get things shipped to my step sons place in Canada and pick them up from there and bring them home in my suitcase. We shall have to wait and see.

As they say, it won't happen overnight, but it WILL happen!!

fenderchamp and Steve 78 like this.

11. tattooed

tattooed TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Perth West Aus
    Neil,

This is way weird,

My brother builds bikes, Harley's are his thing, although he does ride a Trumpy also but this was a showroom buy,

Mate all I can tell you is I am lucky to have the disposable $$$ to by a guitar, just walk in to a shop and choose, or scroll through the listings and check out some second hand options, and I've quite a few off the rack guitars in my collection,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But nothing compares to what I have assembled. Love comes to town when we spend some time together, it's not like an off the rack jobby, I've not had the same connection with any guitar like my "Strat" and I am expecting a similar or even better connection with my tele build.

IMO it is worth the drachma, the time, the sweat, the working it out, the research to make it totally yours.

Cheers,

Kiwi_Neil likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.