Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Partscaster idea isn't going to fly.....

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kiwi_Neil, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

If I am going to order the parts to put together the guitar I really want, then I will select the parts that I want because, as I said, "I want to buy quality components because this will be a keeper for me." Just to be crystal clear......if I go down this road, then I will select the parts as I have specified in my original post and I will not make any changes. I did not ask for alternatives or suggestions from anyone. I simply stated my goal and that it was looking unlikely due to the cost and I did make the comment "Interesting isn't it?" in my first post, because that's the reason for the post!!

As I've said a couple of time...I'm not crying about it, that's just the way it is.

My second choice could be to modify a Squier, assuming I like the feel of it when I get to actually play around with one......or......I may choose the ES 339.

2. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

Yep, I hear you, and I know that many people here put together partscasters for really rock bottom prices using all sorts of parts.....and more power to them....I applaud them. But it's not the way I want to go.

3. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

USA and Japan have trade agreements that make things easier for both countries. While it would be possible to source cheaper parts from Japan, they wouldn't be a hell of a lot cheaper.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's just that you're talking a whole lot of money as opposed to buying something off the shelf that you can return if you don't like.

These guitars don't always come out like we expect them to, although we try to convince ourselves otherwise.

Out of my three, one was a home run (or choose the NZ sports analogy of your choice). And I just realized I actually have five partscasters, but one is synth only (a converted Squier Standard), and the other a GFS 12.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Japan I know is expensive. I was thinking more China.

6. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    For sure even if everything goes to plan, I might not like the end result. I mentioned a few posts back about the car I bought but didn't like a few days later. It can happen.

If I can't build what I want, then I have other choices, but if I can build what I want, but I don't for fear of possibly not liking it, I'll always be wondering 'what if?' If I do it and it doesn't pan out as I envisage, then there's only one person to blame!

7. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    I guess we'd have the same online access as you to Chinese products but other than that, there is http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/ plus whatever we can find on our local trading website, trademe.co.nz. The guitarparts company above don't carry as much as they used to, I expect there isn't the demand from just us and Aussie customers to warrant a larger stock. I think they're aligned with Allparts, and they will import anything the customer wants from Allparts, but then we come back to the shipping costs etc

It might be that I'll have to wait until I go to Canada and make a pit stop in USA, or perhaps dash over to Singapore and see what I can see.

It's certainly an 'eye opener' and I find it all pretty interesting to see how the shipping costs really jack up the end users costs. I haven't found that to be so drastic in most other things here, although I guess personal importing of just a few items is bound to be expensive.

8. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Fair enough. I still believe with the build you listed you will end up with a better, higher quality guitar than any of the ones you've listed. The guitars you list aren't know for high quality hardware and pups. As I stated earlier, you may want to include the cost of upgrading these parts as it appears to really matters to you.

I also forget that people on these forums aren't only from the US. The colloquial use of the word "cheap" in the US is often synonymous with "inexpensive." I've done this mistake before! For example, commercials here often use the word cheap (get a Jeep, get it cheap), but they don't mean cheap as in the lower quality sense. Sorry. BTW, Stewmac sells high quality parts.

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

For me, much of the value of my "blueprint" teles lies in the fact that I composed them myself. Every time I play one of them, I feel the sensation of tracing its pattern, cutting it out, routing it, sanding. . .you know. There's an image of an oiled neck hanging in the laundry room, and the private joke of the extra hole under the bridge plate, where the drill wandered, or on another guitar the one covered up with the decorative pin from the time I missed the control cavity drilling from the pickup hole; just when I started to wonder where the drill tip was it came out the back of the body. And someday I'm going to round off the corner of that first nut I ever cut myself, but there's no hurry, because it's the first nut I ever cut myself, and I'm kind of proud of it.

The other thing is, as you mentioned originally, that although the total cost can be more than some guitars you might buy off the rack, you can take your time acquiring parts, and that way have sort of a "payment plan". You're right about the resale: if that is a consideration, you should buy, not build.

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Eh. Whatever @Kiwi_Neil . Like I said, I don't really care what you do. I was just saying the two choices you seem dead set on are radically different ends of the cost/quality spectrum, and it's one or the other. But let me be crystal clear: I don't care what you do.

Also, honestly, something about your responses throughout this thread rub me the wrong way, sp I'll be adding you to my ignore list so I don't have to accidentally hear from you again. Goodbye.

11. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    I certainly like to think that the end product will indeed be something really special because the work involved will be more than just assembling a partscaster, but not as much as a complete scratch build.

You're right, there will be the cost of upgrading some parts of option 2, but in the case of the ES 339 the expense shouldn't get too out of hand.

I make the same mistake regard 'cheap' vs 'inexpensive' .... pesky English language!!

12. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

Absolutely, I agree 100%. I have the same feeling about my Ducati that I've had for 30 years. Although I didn't build it, I've rebuilt it twice, raced it, ridden it through a cyclone, slept with it and I have a thousand stories about. It's almost part of me!

I think the same is true with anything that you're passionate about, and it's a very nice feeling, as you know.

Yes, resale doesn't enter into it.....I know who will get it if I part with it or I depart from it!!

13. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

Perfect!

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

I suspect that much of the reason for this is how mass merchandisers like Amazon and others have pitted one delivery source against the other in order to get bottom dollar rates based on volume. This can't be very profitable business for them given the sheer amount of resources handling those deliveries consumes yet it's not business that can be ignored either.

A perfect example of this would be a combo amp I purchased a few years ago from a GC in Massachusetts. The amp alone weighs roughly 42lbs and packed as it was the shipping weight had to be at least 20lbs more and the box it shipped in could have held a medium sized appliance. I paid $12.50 in shipping but had I been the shipper my retail costs would have been at least 5x to 6x that much.

Maybe the best comment came from my mail carrier last December when she said they no longer work for the US Postal Service they now work for Amazon. :rolleyes:

15. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand
    Yes, I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're probably right. I imagine a company like Amazon could command a very nice deal for shipping costs based on the sheer volume of business they can offer a shipper. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    soulman969 likes this.

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Neil, another reason I like partscasters is that I can buy parts one at a time, hiding the total costs so my wife doesn't yell at me.

And the fun about doing cheaper ones is you can keep screwing around with them, modding, swapping out parts, without feeling guilty and breaking the bank.

I know--you want to do a quality one. I'm just giving you some perspective because doing partscasters is ADDICTIVE, and few of us stop at just one. (We can't. It's a mental illness.)

One of mine is my surf green Surfcaster. GFS body and neck, roller bridge, and Chigsby (inexpensive Bigsby counterfeit). For my surf numbers.

Unless you're in the big leagues, no one is going to spend big bucks for a guitar of this limited purpose. Roller Bridges SUCK on a Tele for Tele sound!

The only reason I used one was for smoother Chigsby action and less string wear.

And that's the beauty of partcasters.

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    I have built quite a number of T-style parts casters and source mostly used parts. Reverb.com, eBay, craigslist, TheGearPage and TDPRI have been the source of great deals on boutique pickups, necks, bodies, and hardware.
    That might not be as easily done in NZ.
    My "rat rod" Tele with an Indonesian Squier neck, a JB Player HSS body and active EMG pickups with volume and 2 killswitches was built for less than $150. I sounds awesome and plays amazingly well. My most expensive, with solid rosewood Warmoth neck, new finished USAGC body, gold hardware, and Joe Barden pickups was done for less than the price of a used USA Fender. I would consider a parts caster built from new, market-priced parts (from Fender or Stratosphere) a bad investment, and think that modding a used Fender would provide better value.

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Can't you guys in New Zealand at least slaughter a Tasmanian Devil and use a rib for a nut?

There's a savings right there.

19. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    Jumping in late here...I considered doing a partscaster , when fender didn't have the colors I really wanted in my price range, which was the mim range. I realized I didn't need the hobby of guitar building on top of my other hobbies, although picking everything out has its appeal. I found G&L guitars had more color options that I liked, and found a good deal on a new one in a color I love. It was more than a mim fender, but less than a USA fender. Since you are open to partscasters, check out other new/used t-styles. Maybe you can swap pickups and such later if you want.

20. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2016
    New Zealand

I know what you're saying, and you're not wrong....it's good advice.

If I go down that road, then my best option would be to pick up the Wilkinson inspired Vintage V52 ( https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/gui...-butterscotch-blonde-t-style-elec-guitar.html ) and use that as a base. It comes in at the same price as an Affinity Tele, but i think it's probably a better product. Of course I'd have to refinish it right out of the box, but first I'd have to get one sent down from Auckland to see what it's like. It's certainly on my list of options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.