Partscaster for a girl. Advice and Wisdom?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sean Mac, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Some great thoughts have been offered here.

I hope I don't get myself or anyone else banned but this was my absolute favourite :)

There is a Epiphone LP special that just needs a pickup switch in the "junkpile" to try.

"The heart of a young girl is a dark forest" and I was fourteen myself too :)

I had a hacked no name strat thing and a amp made from a mono record player.

And dreams..

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Girls play guitars that aren't girly, and teens play guitars that aren't teeny.
    When I was maybe that age I just wanted the real Fender, not a fake and not a junior Fender.
    Regular size people play extra large size guitar necks, up to 34" scale, so I don't think 25 1/2" is a deal breaker.
    WRT the real thing, I'd say go with stock rather than modding with HB's or noiseless pickups etc.

A serious guitar for a kid is sort of taking them seriously.

hemingway, Sean Mac and EspyHop like this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I never thought that this natural color would go really nice with a black pickguard and a rosewood board neck.

I have a solid rosewood neck waiting for a thinline body and I might just go with this!

Sean Mac likes this.
  4. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I don't think plumbing needs to be accounted for...

Just remember it's for a teenage child, so all you really have to account for is...play-ability..
    And your nerves... when you find out it's been trashed or pawned a year or two later.

Sean Mac and RodeoTex like this.
  5. telemnemonics

The fact that the girl already plays classical flute and also likes LZ and the Beatles informs the higher level of seriousness.
    Still a gamble though, but at least she has a record of treating a musical instrument with care and respect.

Sean Mac likes this.
  6. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I'll give you that.... But what do I know? I'm just a 50 year old guy...whose Father handed him a mint 53 tweed deluxe when I was 17....and promptly tore the tweed off and spray painted it black lol.

Oh it gets better.... I traded it a year later for a Peavy classic. :lol:

Sean Mac and telemnemonics like this.
  7. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I still have the guitar I got when I was 14. A 93 MIM Squier

Prince1999 and Sean Mac like this.
  8. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahaha! That's terrible!

In '75 when I first started shopping at the local guitar shop they had the whole middle of the store filled with seemingly every size of Tweed Fender amp.
    But I never saw anyone play through them and I was there every Friday for several years.
    We didn't want Grandpas old suitcase from the attic!

At the time I was 15 and wanted an affordable used Fender P Bass, but got talked into buying a new Hondo bass.

When I finally got a complete all original Fender Strat it was a ratty refin '77 that weighed a ton, and I traded a nice '67 BF Deluxe Reverb for it.
    Groan.

Parted out that Strat and still have the neck, more blasphemy...

Sean Mac likes this.
  9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I’d recommend an Epiphone Wilshire or a Fender Modern Player Short Scale.

Sean Mac likes this.
  10. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Oh sorry, partscaster. A Warmoth Short scale neck on a thinline body. Light and easy to fret.

Sean Mac likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Wisdom. You want wisdom?

That would be, you don't make choices for red headed females. They will choose.

Just let her run the racks at a couple stores. Trying to assemble something in the hopes it will be a grand slam, just doesn't make sense to me.

hemingway and Sean Mac like this.
  12. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

When I was 14 my brother built me a Tele that had a HB in the neck, a hi output strat pickup of some type in the bridge, a phase switch and coil split for the hb. Then we found the 62 bassman for 150 bucks, with 2x12 JBL's. I think he felt sorry for me that my Mustang refused to stay in tune EVER.
    Boy, girl, doesn't matter- just don't get her a 50 pound Les Paul that she won't be able to carry much less have slung over her shoulder for more than 5 minutes at a stretch.

Sean Mac likes this.
  13. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

Look for a thin body with natural wood finish or a pine body based Telecaster. 25.5" scale. Pickups are your choice. Something bright in the bridge with a HH pickup in the neck. Or if you want her to have it all, find a Nashville model Telecaster with 3 pickups. If you want it on the sparse side, build her a monocaster.

Sean Mac likes this.
  14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

First off. If you want it to be something treasured over time take the girl part out of the equation. I put together a Strat for my daughter and painted it pink & purple burst. At the time she was a lot younger than 14. She's 14 now and would be embarrassed to hold that guitar.

My other daughter always liked the Strat I painted for myself in Lake Placid Blue so I gave it to her. After 6 years she still loves it & I've tried a couple times to get it back by offering much better guitars in trade. It's not happening.

If you don't want to ask her outright for surprise purposes maybe you can take her to the guitar store one day & just notice what she picks up.

Sean Mac likes this.
  15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

A few people have mentioned offset guitars and I agree. One of the most overlooked is the Squier Jagstang. It's a full sized guitar that feels smaller in your hands ( making a great choice for smaller frames), has a useful bridge (vs jags, jazzs & mustang) & lots of modding/personalizing potential.

IMO, Fender missed the boat by not branding this guitar as a Fender from day one.

20190505_180144.jpg

That being said, you do already have a great Tele neck and there's no reason she can't or shouldn't have a Tele at 14. Just choose a look that isn't childish.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Sean Mac likes this.
  16. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I agree with the previous post......"Take her to a music store and see what she gravitates towards".

G.Rotten, Sean Mac and modavis99 like this.
  17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I wanted a bizarre and hideous combination: Foam Green Strat, tortoise guard, single-piece maple neck...with the old worn down look...back when nitro was hard to get and "relics" didn't exist. I think about that now and wonder what the hell I was thinking; that's a hideous combo, aside from the fact that it never existed from Fender. It would have looked something like this (but without the humbucker):

P1080590-800x351.jpg

Nowadays, that makes me puke.

So I say go with something classic/timeless. Sunburst, blonde, black, white, etc. Something that will survive changes in taste over the years.

G.Rotten and Sean Mac like this.
  18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

What about a guitar from the year she was born?.... a US strat or tele, for eg..:)

Sean Mac likes this.
  19. natec

natec TDPRI Member

This. All day, this.

Sean Mac and G.Rotten like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.