Partscaster for a girl. Advice and Wisdom?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sean Mac, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I’d ask and involve her. Memories are made of that.

Maybe go round Walton's and see what takes her fancy design/colour wise, flick through some vinyl in a market, get a coffee...

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I STILL prefer a 24 3/4" scale Telecaster!!!!! :)

Sean Mac, blowtorch and corliss1 like this.
  3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

At 14, all I wanted was a Jaguar although that was the early 90s.

4. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I'm a partscaster fan and I know you already have a neck laying around, but the best part of a partscaster is no-compromises. For a 14 y.o. girl, first off, how big is she and how large are her hands? If I were doing this, I'd consider the following:
    A 42mm (1.65") nut is about as wide a neck as I'd want. And the neck shouldn't be chunky. And I find a 24.75" scale length to be easier to play than a 25.5" because of the reduced string tension. A Mustang 24" scale might be even easier! And because tall frets require a lighter touch, I'd want them to be less than 0.046" tall. I'd go with 9.5" to 12" radius fretboard to balance ease of chords to ease of bending.

Weight of the body matters, but really light Tele bodies have neck dive issues (when she starts playing standing up this will be an issue). The geometry of the Mustang helps with that, as does a shorter scale length (and Mustangs are lighter in general anyway).

I think either a 24.75" scale lightweight Tele or a 24" scale Mustang would be my option if I were doing this. Either one of these can be done up as partscasters. But yeah, neither one let's you use the excuse of "I have a spare neck laying around" and I understand the power of that type of excuse, I use it all the time!

5. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

I have used their XGP bodies and they are great value for the $$. The cheaper ones have most of the issues attributed to GFS bodies.

Sean Mac and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

This, but with a ‘57 Gibson style pup in the neck with coil split option. She probably won’t appreciate that right away, but it will be there still in 5 years when she does.

Sean Mac likes this.
  7. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Not a teenage girl by any means, but I would definitely involve her, even if it's just taking her to a store and seeing which guitars she gravitates toward.

But, most importantly, remember this: her tastes are not yours. I hate to put it so bluntly, but I agree with everyone else: Drop the bsb idea...the bsb tele look is for the most part dull and uninspiring unless you grew up with it. Unless you're really into vintage stuff, the look of them isn't special or exciting. If you like it, that's fine. Doesn't mean she wouldn't prefer something else though. Take that neck, build one for yourself, and get her something she wants.

Sean Mac, Bopcat and Lost_N_Austin like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

A double bound custom tele body. Finished in nitro so it ages with her.
    Ask her what her favorite color would be.

I like black or sunburst with a maple neck. Maybe something flashier for a girl like candy tangerine or purple? Both cool colors too.

Sean Mac likes this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

something pink, with ponies

Sean Mac, nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I'm leaning in with the recommendations to collaborate with her on all the various choices - assuming she'd want to be in on the design. My 80's SG survived the punk rock mosh pits in the hands of my daughter (a few close calls...), so you never can tell. A telecaster will survive. OTOH, someone who already plays flute and piano may have a well-developed respect for instruments?

Anyway, you might gather some internet photos of well respected players and let her respond to the photos to see what she likes. at 14.

OTOH, sometimes, 14-year old eyes only see the bling. Better to look with the ears.

good luck with whichever way it goes!

Sean Mac likes this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I would go light weight, short scale, thin neck. Beyond that...if she likes playing, she's gonna make it her own. One of my favorite nieces got a crappy acoustic guitar for her 13th birthday and I repaired it, set it up and got it playable for her. She covered it in stickers...ended up playing bass. OTOH, she has never forgotten my part, I always get a hug...and she sez she's waiting for me to move closer so I can teach her kids to play.

Steve 78, Sean Mac and nojazzhere like this.
  12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Good grief. It doesn't matter. Ask her what she likes.

Sean Mac, Bopcat and hellopike like this.
  13. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

This thread is cute, an uncle asking a bunch of middle aged and older men what kind of guitar a 14 year old girl might like... o_O and just to fair, I have no clue either because I’m a middle aged man also.

The best advice is to involve her. Just ask her what sort of guitar she likes, and work with that. Take her to a music shop and let her try some different models. Don’t assume she’d choose a telecaster because “chickenpicker36” suggested it because he was 14 when the first teles were made....

Sean Mac likes this.
  14. blowtorch

Maybe incorporate a cupholder

Sean Mac likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

14yo is plenty old enough for a real full sized guitar. You might be a kid at 14 but you are nearly grown in height and size by then. I started playing at around 12 or 13 with a cheap full sized dred and had no problems other than the usual bleeding fingers etc.

A proper tele with 9's and a low action would be fine for a 14yo girl. They are probably the best choice for them as far as comfort and ease of playing goes.

If she likes metal and weedly weedly you might want to consider getting her something pointy that also has 9's being the ideal strings for most girls.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Sean Mac likes this.
  16. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

If I may be so bold....
    If she already has a "flea market strat" then she has a single-coiled guitar. I'd suggest a something with a humbucker to broaden her palette. Perhaps a PRS SE Standard (or Custom) 22 (or 24). They use the great 85/15 pickups and the Customs can be coil-split. (Not to mention the 25" scale and thin maple neck)

Sean Mac likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

When I was a 14 year old boy, the only thing I was interested in were 14 year old girls, and maybe their sisters.
    I don't understand why gender has to figure into guitar selection.

18. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

^ Something crass, with sarcasm.

hemingway, Sean Mac and trapdoor2 like this.
  19. blowtorch

And sparkles

Sean Mac likes this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yes... def. sparkle finish.

Sean Mac likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.