Partscaster for a girl. Advice and Wisdom?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sean Mac, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

My niece is 14.

She already has a flea market strat and transistor "Marshall" amp.

Classical flute player, handy on the piano and sings in a choir.

Fabulous head of long red hair and all that goes with that heritage.

Collecting vinyl and delighted by Sgt. Pepper and LedZep 1 from my stash recently.

I have a suitable maple US neck and I'm thinking blackguard with noiseless pickups ?

What do you wish you had been given back when you were 14 ?

I think only a tele can survive.....

:)

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

From your post title, I thought you were proposing some kinda trade......and I wanted to see the partscaster. :)

3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I turned 14 in 1960, and had my eyes on a '55 Les Paul Custom in the pawn shop window. $300 would have gotten it home. That was a little more than my paper route money could handle.

4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

A Tele would be great! Never stop encouraging her! It's great that she is interested in your music, and is musical. :)

Sean Mac likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Her hands?
    Does a 25.5" fit her hands comfortably?

Both my kids learned on a 24.75" Tele.
    They went on from there.

Sean Mac, Tim S and nojazzhere like this.
  6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Ask who her three favorite guitarists/bands are. Build something like one of them plays.

Fiesta Red, LKB3rd, Flaneur and 3 others like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA TDPRI Member

Clearly, Tele is going to get lots of thumbs up here. :) My suggestion is if you are building the body, go for lighter weight if she is of smaller stature which teens of that age often are. It will be more comfortable. The Tele-type instrument is nice for this because you can either use lighter species of wood and/or hollow it a bit a la the Thinline types. (even without the f-hole)

Sean Mac and RoyBGood like this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If she's of smallish stature you might consider a Fender duosonic or a Gibson Melody Maker instead? Shorter scales and smaller bodies might make for more comfort and also a kinda distinctive vibe for a youngster. I was just looking at an orange Duosonic on Clist for a travel guitar, something like that might be the way to go. My sister's boyfriend's kid is 20 and has a beautiful gold Jmaster though, and she's not a big person at all.

Sean Mac, ukepicker and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Teles can be heavy.... Maybe too heavy for some people. Les Pauls have the same issue. Maybe if you purchase a Paulownia (sp?) body to go with a nice, steady neck...? You can try and finish it in that pale pink color Fender used to have in the old days, super nice.

Or... you can buy one of those Hello Kitty Strats they sold a few years ago, I've seen them at the local Music GO Round. Apparently, those things are really nice.

Sean Mac likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

She might be into offsets more than a Tele.

There is that Squier Mustang, but get a fret level done on it for the main improvement. Swap the neck pickup for something fun like a 'goldfoil' or 'lipstick'
    Add a coil split or some fun switching. Scuff sand it and spray paint a color she likes on it. These guitars run $150 last I saw.

Sean Mac and Frontier9 like this.
  11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Nice gesture. Unless it’s a surprise, I’d ask her what she might like, especially color wise. A teen girl might not think that BSB is the end all and be all.

G.Rotten, Sean Mac, ladave and 3 others like this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

tintag27, Sean Mac, RoyBGood and 6 others like this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

When I was 14 I wanted weed, but if it has to be a guitar, maybe a Mustang or something with a shorter scale than a tele anyways.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Skinny neck, nice medium jumbo frets. Maple poly, best defense against fingernails. Maybe some red tort to pick up her hair.

Sean Mac likes this.
  15. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

I think at 14 I got my Epiphone Les Paul in a translucent sorta lime green finish. I thought it was really cool at the time.

I agree with Slim Chance that colour may be important and Butterscotch may not be what she thinks is cool. But you'd know better.

Sean Mac and Wildcard_35 like this.
  16. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My daughter stole my GFS sale paisley body.

Sean Mac and ponce like this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'd be thinking along a different line for a 14 year old niece. Have you thought about a Mustang. Pretty nice single coil sound with a small body and 24" scale. Search Nora Jones Farm Aid on YouTube and you'll see Nora playing a really nice red one. It's probably CS with either Jazzmaster rhythm controls or phase switches but you'll get the idea.

Sean Mac, Wildcard_35 and nojazzhere like this.
  18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

Me at 14 wanted one of each.

But if me at 14 had $350ish to make a tele happen with what exists today, I'd go for the orange squier tele, attach a mustang or 24.75 scale neck that said fender on it, and probably want a humbucker.

The exciting thing for me was playing my grandfathers mustang through a 70s champ and the neck feeling so much more playable than my strat, and even though the pickups were the same size they sounded better.

What music does she play, and how big are her hands?

(Everyone is suggesting Mustangs and Duosonics for a teenage girl... those are the two most recent guitar purchases I've made... I thought I was being practical by not only buying heavy stuff, so when I'm like 70 I don't have to pay some kid to lug my gear. Now I gotta rethink this.....)
    Seriously though, buy a squier mustang and pop a tele bridge and nocaster style pickups and a 4 way switch in there, that's the cheapest way to hand her a small necked offset with the swiss army utility of a tele.

Edit: also, the more it resonates with her, and the more comfortable the neck feels, the more she will play it. Above all, I understand the survivability sentiment of a tele. Let her help pick details, make it matter more. You might end up with a bridge with flames made into it, but that's what memories are made of.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Sean Mac likes this.
  19. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

The GFS Pawlina version of this

download-1.jpg

Sean Mac likes this.
  20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I’d recommend just getting the Allparts one. I’ve heard mixed reviews about GFS and my tech won’t touch their necks and bodies, but Allparts stuff is top notch. It would be a better investment. Definitely check out Stratosphere. You can get a good body that’s ready to go.

And, I completely disagree with the notion 14 is too young for a Tele. That might be the perfect age for a Tele, especially if she’s digging Zep 1.

Sean Mac likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.