Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Partscaster built for Ray Flacke

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by boogieman75, Aug 30, 2017.

1. boogieman75

boogieman75 TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Iowa
    Hello all, it's been some time since I posted last, but I just purchased this guitar about a month ago.

The bridge pickup was weak so I pulled it and put a SD 5/2 in it. I sent the original Kent Armstrong pickup to him for repair. I noticed the SD pickup was an usually tight fit in to the bridge plate and proceeded to install it. Once I plugged it in and strung it up I noticed it was microphonic so I removed the pickup/wax potted it and put it back in.

It seems the edge of the bridge plate is tight and that the edges are touching the coils. Almost as if the plate is scraping the coils when it raised/lowered. The way I have it set now it not as microphonic...however if I lower the pickup at all it becomes microphonic...I have owned several teles and never experienced this.

I could remedy this by putting the original pickup back in when it returns from being repaired but I really love the SD 5/2 in it.

The story goes the guitar had the glaser bender installed after Ray owned it. If it didn't have the glaser bender I would just replace the bridge plate and call it a day.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

ThePhilosopher likes this.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, the bridge pickup rout in that Warmoth body is a little smaller than the average FMIC body - notice there's no "butt crack". That is, the rout does not begin to show with that type of 6 saddle bridge that Ray used. The base could be chafing on the rout wall.

I remember my conversations with Bill Lawrence a little bit, and I'm always wary of the pickup being torqued or twisted somehow - and how that can create a sort of diaphragm between the pickup and its base plate.

How do the alignments between the bridge plate and base plate holes look to you? Are they perfect?

3. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Love it, blue and black just goes imo, nice dark neck too. I don't have a clue who Ray Flacke is though, sorry.

4. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Ray Flacke played with Ricky Skaggs, e.g., Highway 40 Blues, Heartbroke, etc.

5. boogieman75

boogieman75 TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Iowa
    I would say the alignment is pretty good. My good buddy Mike Claire was one of the guys who built it (signature on the neck) he said it was based on/built to the exact specs that Ray's original main tele was at the time. But once Ray no longer owned it and the bender was installed, Mike lost sight of it. The neck is incredible! Thanks for the replies!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    You, dear sir, should be forever banned from this forum! ;)

RF is from down under, if i'm not mistaken. Great tele player. Youtube him & prepare to be amazed! :cool:

7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Milford on Sea, England

Doug 54 likes this.

8. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Don't be silly, we can't be aware of every single Tele player out there, I'm sure there are plenty you don't know.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I was just teasing. Geez...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.