Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Partscaster build or G&L Tribute ASAT?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tacomamc, Sep 29, 2017.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I’ve narrowed my current obsession down to a Tele style..... probably a HB in the neck and definitely a single coil Tele style bridge pickup. Using used parts of eBay, I can put one together for about the same price point as a new Tribute series on MF “stupid deal of the day”. Resale later on for either would be bad, and doesn’t really have much weight on my decision anyway. What do you see as the pros or cons of piecing one together vs a Tribute ASAT?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If you wanted to sell the partscaster, it usually makes more sense to part it out again. That may or may not be an issue for you.

3. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I think that your decision would be based a lot on your skill level .

4. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I’ve modded several guitars, in fact, every bolt on I’ve had with the exception of my Jackson Dinky has been modded. I’ve swapped necks, pickups, all of it. I’ve even built a neck and body from scratch. But the neck alignment was off.

5. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

If you enjoy the project of building the guitar, go for it, especially if you already know how to do an excellent setup. Otherwise buy a guitar that's already built and set up. The ASAT will be a fine guitar, I'm sure, although it wouldn't be my choice.

If you go for humbucker in the neck, be forewarned that it is often rather difficult to get the two pickups to match up and balance nicely. As you try to dial up your amp for a good overall setting, either the humbucker tends to be too loud and bassy, or the bridge pickup sounds too thin and trebly. I think that's why a lot of guys tend towards other more complementary neck pickups such as Strat, Jazzmaster, Firebird, goldfoil, or mini-humbucker in the neck. A bright humbucker like a DiMarzio Eric Johnson pickup or a Filtertron would also probably work fairly well, with it lowered well down. IMO there's a good reason why the original Tele neck pickup is designed the way it is. It matches up really nicely with the traditional bridge pickup volume-wise, creates a great middle position sound, and sounds great for jazz and mellow playing on its own. The other option, of course, is to beef up the bridge pickup with something hotter to match the neck humbucker, but then you run the risk of losing more than you want of the twang and bite that makes a Tele a Tele.

6. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    For Tele style bridge pickups, I’ve tried and liked the MFD, Fender’s ‘62, and G&L’s Tribute version of the alnico. For me, the middle position is killer, love it. Honestly... a neck HB is mostly for aesthetics. I’ve always thought it looked cool. Maybe a mini HB like Fender’s Hot Rod would do it. I have a Carvin M22 neck pickup from the early 1990’s, that has always sounded good. It’s ugly red and black though.

7. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Depends if you want to put in the time. I love my ASAT Tribute so I’m gonna say get one. I have many partscasters as well, out of all 10 of my guitars the ASAT neck is unbeatable.

8. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I played a newer ASAT Tribute, and it was pretty killer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.